Never Cry Wolf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Never Cry Wolf Reviews

May 29, 2016
Some time spent whimsically in the frozen Arctic checking to see how it is that the caribou population is mysteriously vanishing: could the local wolves be the problem? Charles Martin Smith is our amiable guide is this Disney produced (read: there's never really going to be much of a problem) adventure, running around naked (read: "see, I'm close to Nature") so that developers don't suck the life out of life.
January 6, 2016
Charles Martin Smith put his heart into it and acts well throughout the film, but Never Cry Wolf doesn't really keep your attention. There wasn't much to the ending either. Although the Arctic setting is adventurous and scenic, I wouldn't call this one of Disney's finest. (First and only full viewing - 5/24/2010)
½ December 25, 2015
If this film wasn't produced by Disney, it would likely have been something that ran on the art house circuit and have never reached a mass audience. Charles Martin Smith plays a scientist researching caribou in the great white north, which are suspected of being killed by wolves. Directed by Carroll Ballard, the film is a beautiful story of a lone man connecting with nature. The film also includes a colorful supporting performance by Brian Dennehy in a pre "Silverado" or "F/X" role (though post "First Blood"). A terrific film!
December 21, 2015
This is a great film. It succeeds on every level and really needs to apologize for nothing. The casting is exquisite - Charles Martin Smith is simply perfect as the somewhat overwhelmed academic who finds himself smack in the middle of his most anticipated/feared situation. Brian Dennehy is terrific as Rosie. "How do you beat boredom, Tyler? ... Adventure!". That may be one of my all-time favorite movie quotes. Many of us wish we had the nerve to accept this type of challenge and the self-awareness it will reveal. I have experienced the horror of finding myself lost, miles from any vestige of civilization, and the reaction of Tyler is spot on. Unlesss you've been there, you really can't get it. This film captures the experience of a man virtually alone in the wild as few have.
½ December 20, 2015
Thoughtful and entertaining, but a little contrived in making a symbolic statement about the Artic wilderness.
½ December 17, 2015
charles martin smith goes all native runnin with the wolves-woof!
½ September 16, 2015
Novice researcher is sent by the government to investigate whether wolves are responsible for rapid decline in caribou population in the arctic. Disney film based on a Farley Mowat book. Supposedly the true story of Mowat but did he really track the wolves naked? National Geograhic types will love the impressive scenery. Garners a very impressive imdb score but, unfortunately, film does not really come together until the end when you find pilot Dennehy ready to exploit Japanese tourists at a planned hot spring resort and the Inuit man who sells wolf skins for dentures.
April 11, 2015
Well done action adventure,Martin is perfect as the novice geek who at first is scared to death by the wolves and later tries to protect them.
January 4, 2015
One of those MUST SEE movies!
September 2, 2014
Exciting, adventurous and humorous moments make this a journey worth taking over and over again!
½ May 7, 2014
Saw it - it's fabulous.
March 29, 2014
In some ways the greatest movie ever made. That is certain individual scenes, the images themselves, are transcendent. If the story itself is disjointed, full of holes, lacking continuity,,is besides the point. Hail Mr. Ballard, hail.
August 9, 2013
I loved this film that I saw when it first came out in 1983 and it certainly is a movie that has not aged in the slightest. Never Cry Wolf is just as relevant insightful today. The scene where Tyler runs with the caribou herd is one that will always haunt your memory. If you liked this film, you should watch a Spanish movie called Entre Lobos (Among Wolves) that came out in 2010-11. It is also superb with spectacular cinematography and a great story about wolves that is based on a true story, too.
May 28, 2013
Great cinematography, poignant messages, a mystical, calm, tense, atmospheric movie with great bits of humor. One of my favorite films of all time.
April 27, 2013
One of Carroll Ballard's better films, but still quite dry. I really like Charles Martin Smith though, so could see myself watching this again just to see him. Wow, can't believe it was written by Curtis Hanson!
April 4, 2013
The money making this movie was completely wasted
½ March 18, 2013
I found the lack of dialogue one of the films positives. It starts to decline around the hour mark, when the dialogue starts to pick up - but it's one of those rare movies that could have went on for three hours, and still hold my interest.
½ September 11, 2012
This movie starts a bit slow and goofy. We follow a man named Tyler (Charles Martin Smith) as he prepares for his mission to study the wolves of Northern American wilderness and at first the movie doesn't quite get the mood correctly. At times the awkwardness comes off very well and we're genuinely sorry for this poor man, who clearly has no idea what he's about to delve into. But then there are certain scenes where the illusion kind of breaks, like the scene where he starts to write his first report, in the middle of a frozen lake, during a howling windstorm. Captivating scene in its own way, but it still felt like the writer had momentarily dropped the ball, so to speak.

Nevertheless, the movie quickly improves as Tyler proves to be made of tougher stuff than we initially assumed. And from thereon this is an amazing film. Hauntingly beautiful, insightful, profound, philosophical, at times educational, well-written and, above all else, soothingly hypnotic. The plot is in no hurry. The movie follows Tyler around and just sits right next to him as he studies the wolves, observing both him and the wildlife.

Granted, if that was the whole movie, it would probably be a bit on the boring side, but there's a side plot about two Inuits, who Tyler befriends and from whom he learns more about the wilderness and the wolves.

Still, the greatest aspect of this movie, the one that truly works, is the technical side of things, especially the mood that is created through cinematography, music and careful narration by Smith. There's dialogue between Tyler and the Inuits, but by far the greatest scenes in this movie are the silent ones, where the visuals and the music are allowed to fill your consciousness and transport you to an older era, where the laws of men have never existed. I swear that if nature ever had a soundtrack, it would prominently feature the score of this film.

And that's my two cents. I highly recommend seeing this film, to everyone. It's one part nature documentary, one part adventure film and one part spiritual quest. At first it's very unassuming, but it has hidden power on its side and it needs to be experienced for one to understand its worth.
September 9, 2012
Having read Mowat's autobiographical account, i was expecting the same rib-cracking humor that Mowat imbued his story with. Not so. I found the movie to be a depressing departure from the original story.