Never Let Me Go - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Never Let Me Go Reviews

½ November 8, 2016
Not bad, or great. If you've seen the trailer you've pretty much seen the movie.
October 24, 2016
Cheesy sounding title but a very beautiful film. Exquisitely acted, and extremely heartbreaking. This is the only movie I've ever seen that's left me absolutely speechless.
½ September 19, 2016
Never Let Me Go is a film about three people who became friends at a very young age in a boarding school, and have a bit of a love triangle going on throughout their lives. There's something else going on, but I think the film-makers really want that to be a surprise so I won't spoil it here. However, I don't think I need to spoil it in order to express my opinions about the film. The fact is no matter what window dressing they put on it, or how strange the world is where these events take place, the story boils down to a very bland romantic relationship drama. The real flaw in the movie is that, despite and surprises that the world of the film has to offer, there are no secrets in the core story of the film. Once the truth of the movie is revealed it doesn't suddenly change the way events unfold. Instead everything resolves in the most predictable way possible. I thought the acting was OK, although it was a bit flat, and there was zero chemistry between the adult leads. I appreciated all that the movie did to establish the rules of this world, and they accomplished most of that without any dialogue at all. In fact, before the twist of the story is revealed, you could already sense that there was something off about the school and those who worked there. With a little more going on in the film, I think I could really enjoy Never Let Me Go. But since it's so basic, and I get extremely annoyed by love triangles, it's not one I care to watch again.
½ September 17, 2016
This movie doesn't even compare to Ishiguro's novel. It's just flat most of the time, due to bad writing, directing and, to some extent, acting. I'm just so disappointed.
½ June 24, 2016
Kinda messed up movie
June 1, 2016
A superbly told, and thoroughly engaging love story with the theme of mortality and human relationships towards one another at its heart. Although it is very poignant, and very sad at times thanks to the brilliant screenplay by Alex Garland and Romanek's direction, it has for me, a rather positive story of love, friendship and emotion at its core.
½ May 28, 2016
Really Heart-breaking. I imagined myself on Carey Mulligan's role and cried like a kid. People can't wait to see romantic comedies but what people really need are films such like "Never let me go" which show us the really meaning of life, the courage, bravery, love and desire to fight for what we really want. You can't lose it, watch it and don't forget about the tissues. Simply Excellent. Brilliant Music, brilliant performances (specially from Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield) and a great and original ending. The best adaptation from "The remains of the day" by Kazuo Ishiguro.
May 5, 2016
Not one to watch if you suffer from depression or want any excitement at all.
½ April 24, 2016
Haunting tragic love story you'll take to bed.
½ April 19, 2016
Beware spoiler alerts! This movie left me conflicted as I completed it, due to two things. First, I thought the movie did a bad job of representing the world that, the author of the book, Ishiguro had envisioned. However, secondly, if I were to step back and pretend as though I did not read the book, the film wasn't bad. The film seems to do an okay job of what it was trying to depict; this being, the love story between Tommy and Kathy. The movie suffers from too much creative interpretation by the director Mark Romanek. He takes many liberties by removing a lot of the crucial material that makes the movie more like a dystopia and gives the characters more depth. Without a lot of these details and key points the characters feel pretty one-dimensional whether you've read the book or not. I was somewhat excited to see this film because its fun to see a book you've envisioned play out in front of you. This being said, the book to movie transformation was borderline disappointing. I figured that some scenes and details would be glazed over because complete detail would cause the movie to be too long but I didn't expect the premise of the story to change. Furthermore, underneath all of the melodramatic music, awkward interactions, and panoramic shots in the movie there just isn't much substance. My advice to anyone out there who is thinking about watching this film is double sided. If you've read the book, don't watch the movie you'll be highly disappointed but if you haven't read the book you should be able to have an enjoyable time.
½ April 2, 2016
Good actors but it literally had no plot line. It was flat the whole time :/
March 27, 2016
Title Card: The breakthrough in medical science came in 1952. Doctors could now cure the previously incurable. By 1967, life expectancy passed 100 years.

At first I thought this was just going to be a film about a love triangle between three childhood friends (which essentially it was), but added to the already complicated plot was a sci-fi twist, which makes the story doubly interesting and each character's plight a bit more complex. Overall, the acting was good-- the notion was truly engaging and you feel genuine sympathy for each character's struggles, especially after knowing the characters' special circumstances. I like films that make me think about the what if I was in that situation or how would I deal with things if that idea existed in my time-- this is one of those films that makes you take a look at yourself internally and questions your morals and challenge your current beliefs. It truly is very interesting.
March 13, 2016
This was one of the best movies I have ever seen. The fact that it was given a 71% should be a crime.
½ March 5, 2016
mi-au placut actorii, cinematografia (cadrele lungi) , coloana sonora grozava, culorile alese care transmit o melancolie
February 29, 2016
This movie didn't make much of an impression on me, but then I don't like dystopian movies and stories. I'd say just an okay story.
February 14, 2016
what a waste of time.
February 5, 2016
One of those movies that lives or dies on whether you buy into the central romance, and I just couldn't. I found Mulligan and Garfield very bland and lacking in any chemistry, and honestly the whole thing came off kind of portentous and self-consciously morose instead of the lyrical melancholy they were clearly going for. Knightly's always interesting, if only to see what weird choices she'll make, but she doesn't have much to do here. And Sally Hawkins is criminally wasted.
February 3, 2016
Meh. Great acting, but lame, stilted story. Not moving, not profound, just tiresome: both regarding medical exploitation as well as life and relationships. I love what they were trying to say, they just didn't say it very well. Meh.