Never Let Me Go - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Never Let Me Go Reviews

June 13, 2017
With an odd premise, but a rather effective execution in style, performances and direction, this flick combines two genres most audiences may find inadequate, or even strange, but with enough charisma and touching atmosphere, this unconventional love story works with plenty of material and substance, even if its message isn't quite as clear for the average viewer in the end.
½ April 13, 2017
A depressing and slow take on a somewhat depressing and slow novel. This film takes a novel with deep and complex relationships and transforms it into a dry, cliché film centered around an overplayed love triangle. Kazuo Ishiguro's novel highlights the strenuous relationship between the characters Kathy and Ruth, two clones destined for a short and restricted life. This film takes the centerpiece of the book and buries it along with all the other intriguing characters Kathy encounters along her journey. Ishiguro carefully crafted this dystopia and gave us detailed, meaningful looks into the education system the students at Hailsham experienced. Hailsham remains an important set piece within the film but in the film's attempt to construct a romance, the significance of Hailsham is lost. The fruit borne by the increased focus on Tommy and Kathy's relationship is a closer look at the post Hailsham lifestyle for the clones. The merit of this film lies in visuals provided. The scenes in the film aren't particularly compelling but they do provide much needed clarity that the novel lacks. Descriptions of characters and locations are quite underwhelming in the novel. This film does a decent job of presenting Ishiguro's story in a digestible manner. The acting in this film is tired and uninteresting. Awkward silences are hammered in between lines in an attempt to add depth and intensity. The strong characters Ishiguro envisioned are replaced by actors that would be better suited starring in a zombie film. This movie took a book with an interesting concept and produced a cinematic blunder that pandered to an audience far above its weight class.
April 11, 2017
Dull and lifeless, this poor excuse of a cinematic interpretation of Never Let Me Go lacks details that are crucial to the main purpose of the novel. It is undeniable that the bare skeleton is present; the timeline of Hailsham, The Cottages, and finally the donations are certainly accurate. To fully understand the intricate relationships between Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy, Hailsham needs to be more prevalent. The director-Mark Romanek-glosses over the genesis of the protagonists. At Hailsham, readers observe how Ruth goes out of her way to move into favor with The Guardians, which emphasizes her thirst for attention and social status (which was a differentiating factor in a place where individuality was sparse). Interactions with the Guardians also shed light on Kathy, as well. Even though Ruth excludes Kathy from her secret protection group, Kathy still allows her to walk next to the guardians, which demonstrates her a priori carer instinct. On that subject, the chess incident was omitted in its entirety. When Ruth is backed into a corner (by her own doing), she becomes rather defensive and goes out of her way to exclude Kathy. If these scenes were even slightly brushed over in the beginning of the movie, the true meaning of the interactions between Kathy and Ruth would be clear. Rather than petty feelings over "the boy", the audience would be able to extrapolate that Ruth is an abrasive and manipulative person, and Kathy is more innocent and sentimental. If Hailsham was a more prevalent part of this film, Never Let Me Go would be portrayed as a more intellectual and riveting piece, rather than a childish chick-flick.
½ April 10, 2017
Never Let Me Go is one of the most interesting adaptations of a book to a film I have seen in my life. It includes a great deal more detail into the relationships between characters than the book was able to get by, but far less detail surrounding the exact events of the story. The book gave a more silent, yet objective view of the world, as the story follows multiple characters at once, and allows the viewer to make up their own mind about each character and scenario. It's interesting to see the story not only from Kathy H.'s or another clone's viewpoint, but also to give a perspective of a normal human, looking in. The scene where Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy are looking to who they believe in the model of Ruth, we can clearly see the surprise and feeling of uncomfortableness on the woman's face as she sees people just staring at her. While in the text they do not share such raw emotion of the character, but rather Kathy H.'s perspective of the emotion of a character. It is refreshing to see an unfiltered outlook on the story. There is also the bold choice to reveal the purpose of Hailsham earlier than in the book, but it chooses to ignore the more radical effects of Hailsham until further into the film. It's a good way of giving credit and a little bit of a nod towards people who read the book, as the film hints at many themes that were explored in the text, but lacking in the film. The film falls through compared to the book in a few ways, the major being cut content. The Hailsham scenes felt rushed, and the filmed dwelled too much on the Cabin scenes. It was a great deal of detail put into the donations scenes that really amplifies the horror of the scenario, which I personally felt was lacking in the book, but adapted really well into the film. The music score was average at best, with some really well made pieces that fit the feeling of the scene, and some horrible choices that drew me out of the story and set. The lines were done very well, and characters look the way they should, and overall it was an above average film, but very well done for a movie adaptation of a book. Although, like most films in this vein, I feel that the film is best appreciated after reading the text.
½ April 2, 2017
Wants to be deep and meaningful, sad and aching but i just found it empty and sterile.
February 3, 2017
I love this movie because it is sincere, moving and haunting in its quiet, thought-provoking beauty.
January 29, 2017
Nicely shot and well acted, but with a nonsensical plot that leaves too many questions unanswered, the main one being, why do they submit to this arrangement?
December 27, 2016
Romanek's Never Let me Go sticks to Ishiguro's plot but doesn't give a greater insight into the characters and details that the book does. Keira, Andrew and Carey boost with confidence and portray well their characters but the whole film can seem distant and plain to an audience who isn't familiarized with the novel.
December 25, 2016
Against a backdrop of love, lives, friendship and jealousy, Never Let Me Go beautifully captures the lives of three friends in a dystopian world where the unthinkable is justifiable. The film ? despite its dull narrative ? managed to portray the power of time against people's views and emotions. It makes us ponder and look at ourselves as human being from a different viewpoint.
December 20, 2016
This melancholy and depressing film adapted from Kazuo Ishiguro's dystopian sci-fi novel tells an achingly sad story that eschews any easy preaching and offers a delicate meditation on time and the transience of life, with very intense performances by its main trio.
December 8, 2016
This film was a particularly sad one. It kept me in tears throughout most of the duration, but towards the end, it got a little too sappy for my taste.
½ November 8, 2016
Not bad, or great. If you've seen the trailer you've pretty much seen the movie.
October 24, 2016
Cheesy sounding title but a very beautiful film. Exquisitely acted, and extremely heartbreaking. This is the only movie I've ever seen that's left me absolutely speechless.
½ September 19, 2016
Never Let Me Go is a film about three people who became friends at a very young age in a boarding school, and have a bit of a love triangle going on throughout their lives. There's something else going on, but I think the film-makers really want that to be a surprise so I won't spoil it here. However, I don't think I need to spoil it in order to express my opinions about the film. The fact is no matter what window dressing they put on it, or how strange the world is where these events take place, the story boils down to a very bland romantic relationship drama. The real flaw in the movie is that, despite and surprises that the world of the film has to offer, there are no secrets in the core story of the film. Once the truth of the movie is revealed it doesn't suddenly change the way events unfold. Instead everything resolves in the most predictable way possible. I thought the acting was OK, although it was a bit flat, and there was zero chemistry between the adult leads. I appreciated all that the movie did to establish the rules of this world, and they accomplished most of that without any dialogue at all. In fact, before the twist of the story is revealed, you could already sense that there was something off about the school and those who worked there. With a little more going on in the film, I think I could really enjoy Never Let Me Go. But since it's so basic, and I get extremely annoyed by love triangles, it's not one I care to watch again.
½ September 17, 2016
This movie doesn't even compare to Ishiguro's novel. It's just flat most of the time, due to bad writing, directing and, to some extent, acting. I'm just so disappointed.
½ June 24, 2016
Kinda messed up movie
June 1, 2016
A superbly told, and thoroughly engaging love story with the theme of mortality and human relationships towards one another at its heart. Although it is very poignant, and very sad at times thanks to the brilliant screenplay by Alex Garland and Romanek's direction, it has for me, a rather positive story of love, friendship and emotion at its core.
½ May 28, 2016
Really Heart-breaking. I imagined myself on Carey Mulligan's role and cried like a kid. People can't wait to see romantic comedies but what people really need are films such like "Never let me go" which show us the really meaning of life, the courage, bravery, love and desire to fight for what we really want. You can't lose it, watch it and don't forget about the tissues. Simply Excellent. Brilliant Music, brilliant performances (specially from Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield) and a great and original ending. The best adaptation from "The remains of the day" by Kazuo Ishiguro.
May 5, 2016
Not one to watch if you suffer from depression or want any excitement at all.