Never Let Me Go - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Never Let Me Go Reviews

½ January 5, 2016
It's going to be difficult explaining why I didn't really care for this movie. The book is one of my favorites, so I did not go into this blind and I may be biased.

That said, I'll try to explain why this movie felt like a mess.

On the outside, it sounds promising. Great cast, solid screenwriter, and based on an acclaimed novel. What could go wrong? Well, let me put it this way: Never Let Me Go is not a very good story. Yes, it is one of my favorite books, but the basic story itself is fairly drab and one-note. What made it so good were all the intricately woven details that kept the entire thing from falling apart. It's carefully crafted to the point that one part out of place would basically make the entire thing crumble.

And that's the issue here. Translating something so delicate and with so many details to the big screen is likely going to mean something is out of place. And the problem is there is nothing majorly wrong with the movie, but so many small details feel wrong.

For example, the voice-overs are kind of an issue. It makes sense at the beginning and the end of the movie, but when Carey Mulligan has to tell the audience what's going on and why it matters, then clearly something is wrong. I would imagine people with no knowledge of the book would be lost halfway through. And the movie moves along at such a quick pace introducing so many details that it would be difficult to keep up. Nothing is allowed to seep in.

The acting is very good, but I could not help but feel Keira Knightley is poorly miscast. Not only does she have little screentime, but she's not an actress who usually plays conniving, jealous characters. It's not just that she's miscast though, as she's talented enough to pull off such a character. The bigger issue is how underwritten her character is. I can see the viewer having disdain for her character, but it feels manufactured, cliched and forced, not natural and believable.

As far as direct comparisons to the book, the thing that felt most off to me was how forced and focused love story between the main characters was. In the novel, it progresses a bit more naturally and in the background while the characters deal with the other issues. But this is one of those things that works better in writing than on film. If the movie didn't focus on the two of them together early or pining for each other in every scene, the audience might find a sudden romance to be forced.

The movie has some good points. Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield are very good. And the ending is still very sad, but for me it was sad because it just kept reminding me of the last few pages of the book (that make me tear up even thinking about).

This movie just feels like an unnecessary watch. There's nothing worthwhile unless you're a huge fan of the three main actors. If the story itself is what you're interested in, then I suggest you read the book (it's not very long anyway). And if you only want the boiled-down, soulless, quick summation of the novel, then cliffnotes would do just as well as this movie.
December 23, 2015
Onestamente non so quanto dare a questo film, direi non troppo ma neanche una insufficienza si merita realmente. Come una pasta in bianco che sai che non sarą mai buona ma neanche ne puoi farne troppo una colpa. Film abbastanza sconclusionato nella trama (nel senso che spesso la storia va avanti con delle decisioni che nessuno farebbe mai nella realtą) e che si ricorda pił per le strane espressioni dei protagonisti.
December 17, 2015
This melancholy and depressing film adapted from Kazuo Ishiguro's dystopian sci-fi novel tells an achingly sad story that avoids any sort of easy preaching and offers a delicate meditation on time and the transience of life, with intense performances from its main trio.
½ October 6, 2015
The societal implications of the interesting premise are actually not all that well thought through. Acting and art direction are very good however.
Robert B.
October 5, 2015
Never Let Me Go is a surprising film, with a strange blend of sci-fi, mystery, romance, and atrocity that I've never seen before. The film's style, especially in the first act, is quite good and gives the sense it takes place in an alternate, but very real world. The lead actresses play their parts well, as one would expect. The main strike against the film is the lead actor, who is fine, but not on par with his co-stars and it detracts from the tragic strain the film is going for. But overall, Never Let Me Go is a memorable film and is quite good.
September 22, 2015
very depressing film
September 15, 2015
Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. What a waste of time.
August 29, 2015
"We are modelled after trash!" says the character played by one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. Ridiculousness like that aside, this film was quite interesting to watch based on premise alone, though the atmosphere did feel nauseatingly dreary at times. I hadn't read the book before so I had nothing to go by, but I found the performances to be solid and was highly engaged throughout.
August 24, 2015
Visually beautiful, amazing acting and one of the most incredible story ever. This movie is gold.
½ August 11, 2015
Made me want to read the book. Well done, just lacking something in delivery. Maybe if it had been longer and had strayed a bit beyond its bullet points.
July 26, 2015
interesting film. very very dark atmosphere for romance, for growing up pains. Man, we think we had it rough.
June 21, 2015
NEVER LET ME GO is worth seeing.
June 12, 2015
I didn't get this movie. The whole idea of a organ farm is just so out there, and then the story of the movie was just so-so.
½ June 7, 2015
Organ donation has never been sexier, NOT!
June 2, 2015
Never Let Me Go may be the saddest movie I've ever seen. It's a fascinating sci-fi coming-of-age tale about innocent people born in an unfair world. I loved it. It's creepy and unnerving but also very romantic. You'll definitely need some tissues for this one. Scene stealer: Andrew Garfield as the volatile Tommy.
April 17, 2015
What starts off cold and distant develops into a psychologically warming experience forcing you to question your place in this life and the time you ultimately waste.
½ April 12, 2015
Pretty, empty, weird and immediately forgettable!
½ April 11, 2015
I saw this with no preconceived ideas about it other than I find Keira Knightley to be a brilliant but under-utilized actor is always good. This film caught me off guard. Excellent but very dark meditation on friendship and love.
March 28, 2015
Extremely powerful and thought provoking
½ March 20, 2015
A good story that as it crawls towards its end is rather depressing. I wish there would of been more focus on the love between Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield to make the film more powerful. But I could see how that might of slowed the film down.