Never Let Me Go - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Never Let Me Go Reviews

½ April 24, 2016
Haunting tragic love story you'll take to bed.
½ April 19, 2016
Beware spoiler alerts! This movie left me conflicted as I completed it, due to two things. First, I thought the movie did a bad job of representing the world that, the author of the book, Ishiguro had envisioned. However, secondly, if I were to step back and pretend as though I did not read the book, the film wasn't bad. The film seems to do an okay job of what it was trying to depict; this being, the love story between Tommy and Kathy. The movie suffers from too much creative interpretation by the director Mark Romanek. He takes many liberties by removing a lot of the crucial material that makes the movie more like a dystopia and gives the characters more depth. Without a lot of these details and key points the characters feel pretty one-dimensional whether you've read the book or not. I was somewhat excited to see this film because its fun to see a book you've envisioned play out in front of you. This being said, the book to movie transformation was borderline disappointing. I figured that some scenes and details would be glazed over because complete detail would cause the movie to be too long but I didn't expect the premise of the story to change. Furthermore, underneath all of the melodramatic music, awkward interactions, and panoramic shots in the movie there just isn't much substance. My advice to anyone out there who is thinking about watching this film is double sided. If you've read the book, don't watch the movie you'll be highly disappointed but if you haven't read the book you should be able to have an enjoyable time.
½ April 2, 2016
Good actors but it literally had no plot line. It was flat the whole time :/
March 27, 2016
Title Card: The breakthrough in medical science came in 1952. Doctors could now cure the previously incurable. By 1967, life expectancy passed 100 years.

At first I thought this was just going to be a film about a love triangle between three childhood friends (which essentially it was), but added to the already complicated plot was a sci-fi twist, which makes the story doubly interesting and each character's plight a bit more complex. Overall, the acting was good-- the notion was truly engaging and you feel genuine sympathy for each character's struggles, especially after knowing the characters' special circumstances. I like films that make me think about the what if I was in that situation or how would I deal with things if that idea existed in my time-- this is one of those films that makes you take a look at yourself internally and questions your morals and challenge your current beliefs. It truly is very interesting.
March 13, 2016
This was one of the best movies I have ever seen. The fact that it was given a 71% should be a crime.
½ March 5, 2016
mi-au placut actorii, cinematografia (cadrele lungi) , coloana sonora grozava, culorile alese care transmit o melancolie
February 29, 2016
This movie didn't make much of an impression on me, but then I don't like dystopian movies and stories. I'd say just an okay story.
February 14, 2016
what a waste of time.
February 5, 2016
One of those movies that lives or dies on whether you buy into the central romance, and I just couldn't. I found Mulligan and Garfield very bland and lacking in any chemistry, and honestly the whole thing came off kind of portentous and self-consciously morose instead of the lyrical melancholy they were clearly going for. Knightly's always interesting, if only to see what weird choices she'll make, but she doesn't have much to do here. And Sally Hawkins is criminally wasted.
February 3, 2016
Meh. Great acting, but lame, stilted story. Not moving, not profound, just tiresome: both regarding medical exploitation as well as life and relationships. I love what they were trying to say, they just didn't say it very well. Meh.
½ January 23, 2016
Kazuo Ishiguro's book was made justice with impeccable acting and great directing. An otherwise unrelatable story manages to touch and impress through candor and the lack of forced and unnecessary drama.
January 14, 2016
Loved this movie. Hauntingly awesome.
½ January 5, 2016
It's going to be difficult explaining why I didn't really care for this movie. The book is one of my favorites, so I did not go into this blind and I may be biased.

That said, I'll try to explain why this movie felt like a mess.

On the outside, it sounds promising. Great cast, solid screenwriter, and based on an acclaimed novel. What could go wrong? Well, let me put it this way: Never Let Me Go is not a very good story. Yes, it is one of my favorite books, but the basic story itself is fairly drab and one-note. What made it so good were all the intricately woven details that kept the entire thing from falling apart. It's carefully crafted to the point that one part out of place would basically make the entire thing crumble.

And that's the issue here. Translating something so delicate and with so many details to the big screen is likely going to mean something is out of place. And the problem is there is nothing majorly wrong with the movie, but so many small details feel wrong.

For example, the voice-overs are kind of an issue. It makes sense at the beginning and the end of the movie, but when Carey Mulligan has to tell the audience what's going on and why it matters, then clearly something is wrong. I would imagine people with no knowledge of the book would be lost halfway through. And the movie moves along at such a quick pace introducing so many details that it would be difficult to keep up. Nothing is allowed to seep in.

The acting is very good, but I could not help but feel Keira Knightley is poorly miscast. Not only does she have little screentime, but she's not an actress who usually plays conniving, jealous characters. It's not just that she's miscast though, as she's talented enough to pull off such a character. The bigger issue is how underwritten her character is. I can see the viewer having disdain for her character, but it feels manufactured, cliched and forced, not natural and believable.

As far as direct comparisons to the book, the thing that felt most off to me was how forced and focused love story between the main characters was. In the novel, it progresses a bit more naturally and in the background while the characters deal with the other issues. But this is one of those things that works better in writing than on film. If the movie didn't focus on the two of them together early or pining for each other in every scene, the audience might find a sudden romance to be forced.

The movie has some good points. Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield are very good. And the ending is still very sad, but for me it was sad because it just kept reminding me of the last few pages of the book (that make me tear up even thinking about).

This movie just feels like an unnecessary watch. There's nothing worthwhile unless you're a huge fan of the three main actors. If the story itself is what you're interested in, then I suggest you read the book (it's not very long anyway). And if you only want the boiled-down, soulless, quick summation of the novel, then cliffnotes would do just as well as this movie.
December 23, 2015
Onestamente non so quanto dare a questo film, direi non troppo ma neanche una insufficienza si merita realmente. Come una pasta in bianco che sai che non sarą mai buona ma neanche ne puoi farne troppo una colpa. Film abbastanza sconclusionato nella trama (nel senso che spesso la storia va avanti con delle decisioni che nessuno farebbe mai nella realtą) e che si ricorda pił per le strane espressioni dei protagonisti.
½ October 6, 2015
The societal implications of the interesting premise are actually not all that well thought through. Acting and art direction are very good however.
Robert B.
October 5, 2015
Never Let Me Go is a surprising film, with a strange blend of sci-fi, mystery, romance, and atrocity that I've never seen before. The film's style, especially in the first act, is quite good and gives the sense it takes place in an alternate, but very real world. The lead actresses play their parts well, as one would expect. The main strike against the film is the lead actor, who is fine, but not on par with his co-stars and it detracts from the tragic strain the film is going for. But overall, Never Let Me Go is a memorable film and is quite good.
September 22, 2015
very depressing film
September 15, 2015
Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. What a waste of time.
August 29, 2015
"We are modelled after trash!" says the character played by one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. Ridiculousness like that aside, this film was quite interesting to watch based on premise alone, though the atmosphere did feel nauseatingly dreary at times. I hadn't read the book before so I had nothing to go by, but I found the performances to be solid and was highly engaged throughout.