New Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

New Boy Reviews

½ September 17, 2011
pretty good short film.
March 28, 2010
For its length, it manages to provide much depth and a heartfelt story about being the new boy.
March 1, 2010
nominated for live action short
March 3, 2009
Beautifully simple, and wonderfully acted it was not the best of the shorts, but the one that made me smile the most. At only 11 minutes, it gives us brief glimpses into Joseph's past, but we don't need anything more. New Boy deals with the sometimes hard realities of race and trauma without ever becoming obvious about it. I've never been in an Irish classroom, but everything about it felt dead-on accurate.
February 27, 2009
Of all the shorts nominated this year, this is the one I think is the most likely to be expanded into a full length film. Joseph seemed interesting enough, but the short only allowed the briefest of glimpses into his life both in Africa and Ireland. I would enjoy seeing a movie that expanded on his experiences. As for the short, it was cute but (obviously) left me wanting more.
½ February 26, 2009
cute but kinda dull.
February 24, 2009
its a nice short film .
½ February 22, 2009
Not bad, not great. Helped by a great job by the actress playing the teacher and a plausible feel-good ending.
February 22, 2009
Short and sweet, but a bit too short.
February 21, 2009
Schoolchildren find a common bond in making fun of their teacher. A very sweet film, if a little simplistic. I thought the kids in this one did a great job, and everything was 100% believable. I was a little confused as to the New Boy's backstory, but that's a minor quibble. Very good, and a worthy nominee.
February 20, 2009
I would've totally given this 5 stars seven years ago
½ February 16, 2009
The most satisfying film of the 2009 live-action short Oscar contenders. 'New Boy' is about a young black boy named Joseph who is adjusting to the change of his school surroundings from the familiar routes of his home Africa to the polar opposite white-dominant territory in Ireland. The kids in school aren't nice to Joseph, and every time he becomes uncomfortable the film flashcuts to a time when he was comfortable back home. What I love most about this film is that it's a real story that's simple, sweet, and quickly told in an 11 minute period. Happily it is revealed that even kids who start off this bad can end up bonding, and that sort of bonding usually happens through... well... kid things. Kids like mischief, they like pissing off teachers and parents, they like doing what they know they shouldn't do. Nobody says kids doing the wrong this is right, but we know that it at least helps social groups find common ground. And that's what helps Joseph adjust to being the 'New Boy' in town.
February 16, 2009
Sweet and very short, but perhaps too short. There are flashbacks to the new boy's previous school experiences, but not who this boy is, and how he happened to be in an all-white school in Ireland. Could have expanded the characters more.
½ February 14, 2009
The interactions of the children and the teacher were believable and entertaining, with an underlying poignant edge.
February 14, 2009
Definitely the worst short nominated for the Oscar this year.

Completely unbelievable ending. Annoying young actors. A "parallel to the past" story. UGH!