The New Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The New Daughter Reviews

½ August 15, 2016
It was well made, and had the potential to be a really scary edge of your seat type movie. But as the plot was revealed it became so ridiculous that in the end I just couldn't take this movie seriously.
May 11, 2016
I liked this film and was creeped out by it in more than a few parts. I'm not sure why the reviews are so bad for this one as I thought the acting was good as was the plot. There is also plenty of suspense as you never quite know what is going to happen and there was also a bit of mystery in trying to figure out what the creatures were and what they wanted. The ending was the most disappointing part of this film and prevented me from giving it an extra half star. It left too many unanswered questions. I know they likely did this on purpose to leave room for a sequel but I find it a bit lame.
½ February 23, 2016
It's baffling to see what could possibly have drawn a still decent star like Costner to a story that is at best a D-Movie scenario. Top that off with some of the worst writing, directing, and visual execution in film making I've seen for some time and you have a Mound of Stink. It's a bloody ANT film for god sake. And the fact that his daughter is the little girl who was so wonderful in Pan's Labyrinth, now all grown up and stuck in this awful film is reason enough to line them all up and burn then, like so much ant-dung, to the ground.
February 21, 2016
Passable timewaster worth seeing if only for Kevin Costner's reunion with James Gammon (Revenge).
Costner's funniest (if unintentional) film since 'Night Shift'.
January 4, 2016
This movie was scary and I don't scare easily. Very entertaining no slow spots.
Highly recommend.
½ September 24, 2015
9/24/2015: Stopped watching half way through. It was boring and uninteresting. I had no desire to sit through another hour to find out what happens.
August 1, 2015
This is quite close a B series movie. Nothing unexpected, the creatures a laughable and the FX virtually non-existent.
Maybe you can save the performance from both children, Baquero and Griffith, but that's it.
July 8, 2015
It was ok to watch on a rainy day. However there is no happy ending though.
May 21, 2015
Good idea but the ending was terrible.
½ May 19, 2015
Interesting though quite unexpectedly weird horror film. Kevin Costner plays a recently separated parent who moves into a new isolated home with his two children. When Costner's teen daughter begins to act act strangely and develops a strange connection to a large mount of dirt in the forest behind their house, the film takes a turn I was not expecting from a Kevin Costner film. This film was much more reminded me of Spanish horror films of recent years, like "Dagon" or "[Rec]," which was co-written by the director of this film, Luiso Berdejo. SPOILER ALERT! When the film begins to involve subterranean monsters looking to capture a new female to help their monstrous tribe procreate, I'm not at all surprised that the film immediately garnered terrible reviews from mainstream film critics. It's not a story for mainstream audiences and the fantastic (and admittedly ridiculous) nature is something that is never going to appeal to most audience members. However, if you're a fan of oddball HP Lovecraft or Hellboy-like stories of ancient species, ancient rituals and a focus on unseen horrors, I think this is a film to checkout.
½ January 7, 2015
Upset that Iet myself get sucked into watching this. The ending was horrible.
December 30, 2014
Holy Shit! U ppl need to redbox/netflix the movie "The New Daughter"! Freaky shit! lol
November 29, 2014
The New Daughter is one freaky movie! It's tense, scary, and even pretty violent, even if the narrative is a bit off.
½ November 11, 2014
Kevin Costner doesn't quite look at ease in this type of horror genre, but it's a very average effort by all involved anyhow.
November 2, 2014
Similar in style and slowness to some Spanish Horrors but it forgot to add in any scares. Costner is broody and a miscast. It kills 90 mins.

Costners daughter has been possessed but some evil old spirit
October 21, 2014
I think Kevin Costner is a great actor, however, his support cast was not belivable. The interactions were off, quite a bit. Great scary story. Wish for different supporting cast.
September 7, 2014
I loved this movie.. except the ending. It left me searching to see if there was a sequel. I don't understand why there are bad reviews.. great horror film (except the cat being killed).
½ August 30, 2014
Monsters are lame, they're never scary. The first half of this movie was decent. very suspenseful. Give it 1 1/2 stars solely for the very beginning whilst Louisa looks out her bedroom window as a creature/man crawls around her roof. That scene was flipping terrifying.
½ June 1, 2014
Kevin Costner in a 'scary' movie is the scariest part of this train wreck of a movie. I couldn't make myself watch more than 30 minutes of this before I had to turn it off. The story has been done so many times that you don't need to watch this one.
½ May 29, 2014
This film was mediocre at best and as horror flicks goes, there wasn't really anything remotely horrific or even suspenseful about it; except maybe the ridiculousness of the plot, surpassed only by the unfathomable ending. The characters were one dimensional and completely unoriginal-- the barely there parent, a rebellious teen and the younger sibling who acts as the buffer to the conflicting parent and teen. It was really a shame because the principal actors were likeable enough and seems to be capable of delivering awesome performances (remember Kevin Costner in a little film called "Dances with Wolves"?); unfortunately, they just didn't seem to have the material to really flex their acting muscles.