The New Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The New Daughter Reviews

½ October 17, 2017
This actually started out ok! Then...they lost me at the moment the animalistic-alien/humanoid-sea-urchin creature was revealed!! I was totally prepared, and actually looking forward to, an old American Indian they-removed-the-headstones-but-left-the-bodies type of curse! This took a turn for the ultimate worst FAST!! Not to mention Kevin Costner's signature one-look-on-my-face-regardless-of-the-scene!!! Why do I torture myself & give movies like this valuable time that I will NOT get back??? And that ending!!!???!!!!??? OMG! UGH!!!
½ October 10, 2017
I can't understand all the bad reviews myself ... I felt it was better than average all the way around including the storyline and the acting not to mention the superb cinematography !! Worth watching I think !!!
August 31, 2017
I am shocked to see the poor ratings. I felt it was a unique story of something different for a change in the thriller/scary genre of plots. I really enjoyed the ending how it delivered something unexpecting. I recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good story with decent acting.
½ July 22, 2017
Pretty cool little horror flick about a father not being able to understand his young daughters adolescent changes. As such he learns a little too late that that there are more sinister forces at work, controlling her. Not the kind of thing I expected Costner to be in. Ballsy ending, I did not expect.
March 28, 2017
I went into this one fairly blind, and I was rather impressed with what I kind of assumed was meant to be a fairly average thriller. Kevin Costner moves his kids to a remote farm, where his daughter starts to become obsessed with a strange burial mound in the nearby woods. When her behavior starts to change, he's forced to do some digging (literally) and find out what he's gotten them into.

Well worth a look of you get the chance, this film has some solid spooky moments.
½ August 15, 2016
It was well made, and had the potential to be a really scary edge of your seat type movie. But as the plot was revealed it became so ridiculous that in the end I just couldn't take this movie seriously.
May 11, 2016
I liked this film and was creeped out by it in more than a few parts. I'm not sure why the reviews are so bad for this one as I thought the acting was good as was the plot. There is also plenty of suspense as you never quite know what is going to happen and there was also a bit of mystery in trying to figure out what the creatures were and what they wanted. The ending was the most disappointing part of this film and prevented me from giving it an extra half star. It left too many unanswered questions. I know they likely did this on purpose to leave room for a sequel but I find it a bit lame.
½ February 23, 2016
It's baffling to see what could possibly have drawn a still decent star like Costner to a story that is at best a D-Movie scenario. Top that off with some of the worst writing, directing, and visual execution in film making I've seen for some time and you have a Mound of Stink. It's a bloody ANT film for god sake. And the fact that his daughter is the little girl who was so wonderful in Pan's Labyrinth, now all grown up and stuck in this awful film is reason enough to line them all up and burn then, like so much ant-dung, to the ground.
January 4, 2016
This movie was scary and I don't scare easily. Very entertaining no slow spots.
Highly recommend.
½ September 24, 2015
9/24/2015: Stopped watching half way through. It was boring and uninteresting. I had no desire to sit through another hour to find out what happens.
August 1, 2015
This is quite close a B series movie. Nothing unexpected, the creatures a laughable and the FX virtually non-existent.
Maybe you can save the performance from both children, Baquero and Griffith, but that's it.
July 8, 2015
It was ok to watch on a rainy day. However there is no happy ending though.
May 21, 2015
Good idea but the ending was terrible.
½ May 19, 2015
Interesting though quite unexpectedly weird horror film. Kevin Costner plays a recently separated parent who moves into a new isolated home with his two children. When Costner's teen daughter begins to act act strangely and develops a strange connection to a large mount of dirt in the forest behind their house, the film takes a turn I was not expecting from a Kevin Costner film. This film was much more reminded me of Spanish horror films of recent years, like "Dagon" or "[Rec]," which was co-written by the director of this film, Luiso Berdejo. SPOILER ALERT! When the film begins to involve subterranean monsters looking to capture a new female to help their monstrous tribe procreate, I'm not at all surprised that the film immediately garnered terrible reviews from mainstream film critics. It's not a story for mainstream audiences and the fantastic (and admittedly ridiculous) nature is something that is never going to appeal to most audience members. However, if you're a fan of oddball HP Lovecraft or Hellboy-like stories of ancient species, ancient rituals and a focus on unseen horrors, I think this is a film to checkout.
½ January 7, 2015
Upset that Iet myself get sucked into watching this. The ending was horrible.
December 30, 2014
Holy Shit! U ppl need to redbox/netflix the movie "The New Daughter"! Freaky shit! lol
November 29, 2014
The New Daughter is one freaky movie! It's tense, scary, and even pretty violent, even if the narrative is a bit off.
½ November 11, 2014
Kevin Costner doesn't quite look at ease in this type of horror genre, but it's a very average effort by all involved anyhow.
November 2, 2014
Similar in style and slowness to some Spanish Horrors but it forgot to add in any scares. Costner is broody and a miscast. It kills 90 mins.

Costners daughter has been possessed but some evil old spirit
October 21, 2014
I think Kevin Costner is a great actor, however, his support cast was not belivable. The interactions were off, quite a bit. Great scary story. Wish for different supporting cast.