New Waterford Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

New Waterford Girl Reviews

½ May 22, 2015
This totally hits all the notes it wants to. The comedy is great combination of physicality and small town social commentary. The characters are great and well-performed. And, I think I may gotten the DP his gig on this without him ever knowing! I worked with Derek Rogers on a couple of shorts. Then I was asked by a film friend if I knew any DPs as he knew a producer on New Waterford Girl and they were looking for one. A year and half later I see the poster and there's Derek's name on it. How about that.
½ March 8, 2013
I kind of loved this movie....
½ March 4, 2013
Above average for a Canadian movie, but that ain't saying much.
½ August 22, 2012
Different, and enjoyable in a way. I liked it because I am from Cape breton.
August 17, 2012
Between a 7/10 and 8/10, it's sweet, if not profound, with several laugh-out-loud moments, and a wonderful portrait of place
April 22, 2012
Standing between their laneways in New Waterford, Nova Scotia, a coal-mining town on Cape Breton, Mooney Pottie (Liane Balaban) gives new-girl-in-town Lou (Tara Spencer Nairn) the grand tour:

"My house; your house. There's the store, the mine, the main drag. Hospital; tavern; church, tavern, church-church-rink-school-trainstation-roadtoSydney."

It's a fitting testament to the dreariness of Mooney's existence, the fourth of five children in a struggling family, but one who displays artistic talent and dreams of leaving, encouraged by her too-young male teacher, (Andrew McCarthy), as the town, like most small towns, and her family threaten to suck her back in.

The movie has a unique Canadian soundtrack and the DIY ethos of a Bruce MacDonald pic, and Balaban in the main role is better than anything I've seen her do since. Gray clouds always loom over these vistas of roaring surf and clotheslines in the cold wind - which is funny in light of the excessivley sunny Newfoundland & Labrador tourism ads all over Canadian TV these days that feature identical shots - and the film seems depressing, for the most part. But somewhere in the middle - no spoilers here! - you find yourself suddenly and strongly rooting for this unconventional character to come into her own, (with help from her new friend). It's a quintessentially Canadian story, and at its core it's not unlike a great many of them, but it's told in a unique way with an ending that's perfect and powerful. A film that takes a bit of time to warm up to as you're watching it, but one that will leave you satisfied. Among the best Canadian flicks I've seen.
½ August 7, 2011
It's impossible to enjoy every movie about an outsider's life in the province. This one is one of the worst on the topic - with unconvincing acting and a phony plot.
½ July 2, 2011
A decent show for a dreary day and mood.
June 15, 2011
definitely on my top 5 for favorite movies, probably number 1.
March 3, 2011
If you like your Canadian movies to be low budget, have suttle comedy and be borderline rediculous, New Waterford Girl will do the trick.

Taking place in Nova Scotia in the 1970s, New Waterford Girl is about Mooney, a 15 year old girl who lives in the dreary small town of New Waterford. She doesn't like her town or her family one bit and desperately wishes to travel far away. After she befriends her new neighbore from New York, the two come up with a plan to leave their small town. Mooney will earn a reputation as the town slut in order to fake a pregnancy so that she can take the train to the next town to an adoption facility. The writer of this movie, Tricia Fish, writes on her own experiance living in New Waterford. The life of the town is comedically plain, everyone is Catholic, and people's expectations of life are not that interesting. This isn't a story fully of stand out, quorky characters of a small town, this is a suttle and natural coming of age story that views small town life, dreams, sex and friendship in a refreshing way.

A lotof this movie's story isn't just told by the characters, it's told by the image and look of the town too. A seaside town where skys are constantly cloudy and dark. This town we're talking about, New Waterford, is REALLY small. So small, uninteresting, religious, and predictable, it'll drive anyone insane. And because it takes in the '70s, it's even less interesting. No one is rich, people stay together, and everyone wears plaid like it was a fashion statement. This movie might look way too indie for most people, but it's inexpecive and simple filming style says a lot about this films mood and plays very well with the story.

Played very naturally, the cast of this movie (like Mary Walch and Mark McKinney) don't make it their job to stand out in any way, but to play along in the conventional setting of the story. Only Liane Balaban (from One Week and Last Chance Harvey) and "Corner Gas"'s own Tara Spencer-Nairn play the oddball characters, and very well by the way. This might not be a new coming of age story, but it's comedy and look is refreshing enough for fans of Canadian indie movies to enjoy.
February 9, 2011
New Waterford Girl is a quirky, largely implausible story about a young girl who dreams of leaving the small town in Nova Scotia where she grew up. Moonie (Liane Balaban), is a dreamer who doesn't quite fit in with the narrow-minded provincialism that living in the town of New Waterford on Cape Breton requires in order to prosper there. Enter Lou (Tara Spencer-Nairn), a girl from New York City, who inspires Moonie to put in motion a plan to get herself out of this backwater, involving a soiled reputation and a vendetta against the ‚guilty‚?. As mentioned, there are some plot devices that defy logic, but the humorous way in which they unfold and the skill of the actors managed to get this viewer to suspend disbelief and just settle in to enjoy the show. The supporting cast was excellent. Cathy Moriarty, as the mom, and Nicholas Campbell, as the dad, were spot on. They exhibited the right combination of loving concern over their youngest daughter and her quirks mixed with a level of distraction that having five children often engenders. This one was fun and managed to exert a draw on the emotions with a cute ending that managed to stay away from becoming maudlin.
September 17, 2010
(4 out of 5 Stars) Watching this, 2 things came to mind: (1) How sometimes we have to change in order to be ourselves, and (2) The film is just like a sandbox-video game, where the player has one main quest, but spends 90% of the time wandering around the city on little (sometimes trivial) quests, building up their character all the while. It was really a joy seeing Moonie evolve throughout the film as well as the family's development as they're pulled through her "master plan." The believable performances and subtle insights into adolescent behavior were also gratifying.
August 8, 2010
One of my favorite movies. It helped start my interest in unusual/independent movies years ago. Liane Balaban is wonderful.
½ August 19, 2009
Great film! Really good performances from the two leads!
May 27, 2009
Sweet, quirky, sentimental, well-acted, moody and and all around great film. Makes me want to visit far flung shores again. Definitely recommended.
May 26, 2009
Una chica trata de arruinar su reputaciůn para salir de un tediosos pueblo. °Si lo golpeas y cae, entonces es culpable!
April 17, 2009
Seeing as how I live 20 minutes from New Waterford, I had to watch this movie. It was not great.
January 26, 2009
Very interesting look at small town life on Canada's east coast. I grew up in the city, but so many aspects of Moonie's life resonate with me, especially the religious upbringing. Great writing and excellent performances.
½ January 25, 2009
Surprisingly good for a movie that references Antigonish at least 4 times.
½ January 14, 2009
Life is tough for Moonie Pottie in the small town - especially a coal-mining Cape Breton small town. A big city family moves into town, and Moonie and her new friend cause havoc in town.

This movie is pretty good - easy for anyone from a small town to identify with.