Lo Squartatore di New York (The New York Ripper) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lo Squartatore di New York (The New York Ripper) Reviews

½ June 24, 2016
I don't know why I didn't like this the first time around, but it was pretty good. Vicious and sadistic, with a great score, even if it's a bit schlocky. The killers voice in this had me howling every time. I'll rewatch this movie for that alone. lol
½ March 2, 2016
The killer's duck impression is damn infectious.
½ February 18, 2016
WTF! The killer talks in a Daffy Duck voice?
Other than that, a typically schlocky senseless 80's slasher flick. The bicycle chick that he kills on the ferry was pretty hot tho.
½ October 16, 2015
A very sleazy, gory and controversial giallo. It's actually a good film if you can handle the afformentioned though with a good plot and soundtrack too.
August 13, 2015
Sleazy little giallo with tons of Lucio Fulci's trademark gore. I love this film it may well be misogynistic to some but it all done so tongue in cheek it's hard to believe anyone could take this seriously. It's a nasty fast paced slasher, not for the faint at heart but hey it's a horror film if you don't like graphic violence watch something else.
½ June 26, 2015
"Sorry, I was thinking about Boston"
½ November 30, 2014
Revolting and gory but still a great film.
November 22, 2014
Fulci's trademark ultraviolence is still present (if you ever want to know what a stripper would look like with a broken bottle up her vag then this is the movie for you!), this time with added sleaze! It's pretty clear who the killer is as soon as they appear, and also who the final girl will be (Hint: she's the one who keeps her clothes on!), but it's highly enjoyable nonsense and deserves a bit more love than the RT rating suggests
Francisco G.
October 25, 2014
Fulci tries the slasher genre with abysmal results. This is just a very wrong movie, with very little humor, gore, character development and just drags on forever without going anywhere. Influenced by Argento, he tried to give us a nice thriller without relying too much on his atmosphere and gore. It just doesn't work. Add plenty of misogyny and this is a total flop.
October 21, 2014
Lucio Fulci movies are different than most other horror movies. You're either in the mood for them or you're not. For some reason, this October, I've been very much into Lucio Fulci's movies. The New York Ripper is one of his more notorious movies. It's much grittier and sleazier than anything else that he has made. The entire movie is basically women being brutally murdered. It's similar to the movie Maniac, though I found this movie to be grittier, and Lucio Fulci is a master of creative deaths in movies. Death scenes in a Lucio Fulci movie are almost a work of art, and this movie is no different.

I don't really know what I can say about this movie that hasn't been said or what most people interested in this movie don't already know. Yes, the killer has a duck voice. It's hilarious, but somehow works. This movie isn't for everyone. It's brutal and is not the kind of movie a feminist would ever want to watch, but if you enjoy Fulci movies (and if you aren't sure, don't start here) then you'll enjoy this one too. It's one of his better movies.
½ August 14, 2014
Perhaps Fulci's most honest vision and the most through by through nihilistic film i've come across yet and that list includes Salo and Martyrs.

The maestro never had an easy life and his personal problems slowly bled into his work over time. Suffering from diabetes and blacklisted from the Italian film industry for several years, Fulci's demure once impassioned anti-clerical moralist became corroded into something resembling self-deflating anarchism. The film which defined this transition in attitude and purpose for Fulci was of course Zombie Flesh Eaters. The success or more so the infamy of this masterwork gave Fulci, a known gambler, the motivation to shift gears from socially conscious thrillers to audience assaulting visions of hell; the latter of course Fulci is most well known for.

This unsung promise he made with his audience to deliver more and more outlandish flesh tearing FX is what made his name, but also eventually what destroyed him. An obvious atheist, evident from his attacks on the church and his bleak salvation plan bating portrayals of the afterlife, it is my opinion that Fulci felt a severe antagonisation towards the culture he lived in, something i myself can deeply relate to, and so made it his mission once the industry re-embraced him to express the uncertainty of life in the most aggravating ways possible, which included vandalising frequently the bodily temple as well as portraying hypocrisy as not an occasional moral slip, but more so a social institution.

All this need to furore Fulci felt just so much happened to collide with a slasher script set in New York. The result became so much more; a savage attack on American society in which the weakening of the soul and clogging of the heart is inescapable, not just common place. The script's target might have been American competitiveness, but no aspect of civilisation is spared from Fulci's hellish prophecy. A rich socialite combats the void inside her through sexual experimentation, an embittered detective uses a prostitute to fill his, a gigolo dies a miserable asphyxiation suicide on staten island when wrongly framed for murder and a physicist would rather unleash his anger on others over his dying daughter rather than combat it internally. Common products of a nation founded by outcasts, run by affluence and kept in line through fear of their fellow man.

Lastly and most importantly, it is Fulci's complete devotion to the fantastical nihilism of the story which makes Ripper something very special, a pathway through the harshest flames of social alienation and existential angst with the gore fanning the flames occasionally with OTT sadist galore.

Be warned, those looking for gore will get your fill as well. But you'll also be asked to question your own fascination with the dark side. Enter this film thinking you're above it, it's views and its revelations and it will come to haunt you when you're least expecting or accepting. Trust me, you're in for hell if you think you can laugh and just leave it at that. This is the abyss within us all and you can't hide from it. This is The New York Ripper, essential viewing, the one true sadist video.
½ July 21, 2014
Should I be ashamed that each time a woman was about to be sliced in a very brutal unspeakable fashion that I found stifling my laughter? Let me explain: The killer quacks like a duck, and it feels so ludicrous and misplaced that l couldn't help but giggle at this cruel cheese fest, but is it just the dementia that this deranged killer has reached?
I will venture that not everything is meant to be taken completely seriously here. From the mortician/doctor who blares music from his headphones while performing autopsies to the practical rape of a woman with a mans foot to the quaking killer, there are a lot of off kilter set pieces in play. The horrible aspect is the brutality of the subject matter. This is all very odd and subversive.
This is not nearly the gorgeous surrealist film that Fulci is more than capable of producing yet in its way it has a lot to say. The ending is an astonishing twist that makes the rest of this hectic feast feel like a heady distraction. Gotta say I didn't see that coming, but I would have, if the execution had been different.
A lot of viewers will likely see this movie as a piece of garbage, either they will be offended or they will find it pretentious and stupid- possibly a mixture of both. I admire Fulci for just not caring. Truth this one is not, in my opinion his best, and certainly not for everyone, nothing wrong with that.
Fulci and I mesh just fine most of the time, as I am always on the outlook for odd and unique. This film certainly does fill that vein.
A killer is on the loose in New York killing young beautiful women in a gruesome fashion. The plot doesn't deepen much more than this though the film tends to render to psychological and sexual themes that are tense, disturbing and ludicrous all at once.
If you enjoy crazy, controversial, cheesy movies or if that sounds even mildly appealing you may have a little fun here. Otherwise watch something a bit more stable.
½ March 19, 2014
It isn't very good really, but historically significant in several ways.
½ February 28, 2014
Fulci's attempt of a slasher is either a hit or miss. It's one of hist sleaziest films, but for me it works. A Sleazy new york is portrayed with the help of a sleazy and for me quite memorable soundtrack. It's nothing amazing but it's a nice bit of fun
½ November 4, 2013
The New York Ripper is another famous giallo film from Lucio Fulci, one of the undisputed kings of gore in horror movies. Instead of things taking place in the filmmaker's native Italy, this time the story takes place on the streets of New York City. The plot is the usual for this type of movie: someone is murdering women all over New York City and a local cop is hot on the killer's trail. This one does a better job than most of keeping the killer's identity a mystery until the very end and the gore is really out there in certain scenes. However, some of the dialogue is bad and once you find out the killer's identity, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why they were doing what they were doing. Now people in real life do just kill for kicks or because they're crazy, but in a movie, especially in one like this, some sort of explanation would be good. The soundtrack has a lot of funk to it and the mystery aspect is pretty good, as is the gore. It's one of the more controversial giallos out there, so if you haven't seen it, you should probably do so.
October 21, 2013
Probably the most misogynistic, reprehensible - and stupidest giallo Lucio Fulci ever made.
October 17, 2013
October 6, 2013
'Maybe they weren't great films, but they never flopped' says co-writer Dardano Sacchetti during the 'Beyond Fake Blood' feauterette, referring to the late 70s and early 80s wave of Italian giallo and 'violent' action movies. I agree with him on both accounts. It's very easy to see that the genre offered nothing much in any sense of quality. The plots were a mess, incoherent and plain bizarre. The actors were usually awful and the films tended to be very boring. Occasionally though you find yourself staring at some very attractive settings, a very European sense of style, and the music was often pretty good too. So these films '..never flopped' back then, and they are doing good now as well, as the continuous re-releases prove.
I have the Shameless Fan Edition and like almost all of Shameless Screen Entertainment's releases is excellent.
The film itself I would say is above average for its genre, which I guess it means that in our dimension is pretty horrid. Any claims that the genre is not 'misogynistic' are hard to accept. Women don't just get killed, they suffer longer and in more gratuitous ways. Dialogue is bad, acting is bad, music, surprisingly, is rubbish. There are good New York shots, and a satisfying amount of gore. I didn't find this film boring at all, maybe at the beginning a bit, but it soon evolves into a nice mystery. For giallo fans this is good enough for a viewing at least. The rest should stay away.
½ September 12, 2013
Brilliant murder mystery of a serial killer cutting up pretty young women in New York. While this is a very misogynistic script with a lot of blood and gore, Fulci really brings a great story. I really found the mystery compelling and even though I thought I had it all figured out, I was wrong, and pleasantly surprised.

Very well done, and quite enjoyable if you are into giallo or euro-sleaze
September 9, 2013
Fulci as usual: intense gore, interesting score, a scattershot of amazing scenes amid plenty of pedestrian nonsense. Still, it's not as misogynistic as I was expecting, based on critical comments... and the laughed so hard when the Ripper first spoke. Quack!