New York Stories - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

New York Stories Reviews

September 17, 2016
Coppola's story is terrible. Scorcese's story is really great but stretched. Woody Allen's one is perfect for the format.
August 2, 2016
Two out of three ain't bad.
½ March 5, 2016
New York Stories have two good tales: Life Lessons by Scorsese and Oedipus Wrecks by Allen. But Coppola's Life Without Zoe, it's terrible, boring and totally disappointing. The worse thing in the movie is Coppola being with others great directors. The 70's was a terrific time to Francis Ford and his classic pictures that gonna be unforgettable in cinema history, but all change in 80's and this status of master stay really weak. One of this disasters is the short film Life Without Zoe in New York Stories, and what make the movie be not very good. Scorsese and Allen save the picture... but not enough.
½ January 15, 2016
Something new for Woody, I guess.
January 5, 2016
Muy interesante a nivel cinematográfico.
½ November 5, 2015
"Life Lessons" is Martin Scorsese's study of romance and how relationships don't always have a happy ending. With excellent lead performances, Scorsese is able to craft a brilliant portrait of passion and the pressures it can put on troubled people. "Life without Zoe" is Francis Ford Coppola's unbelievably bad story of a little rich girl. There really is no conflict and the acting is so bad, it's cringeworthy to hear any of the poorly written dialogue read aloud. "Oedipus Wrecks" is Woody Allen's look at the relationship between an over-protective mother on her son. For all its quirks and unrealistic plot points, Woody Allen is somehow able to make it still feel like a Woody Allen movie (which is not good in this case). It's not particular funny, but should satisfy the average Allen fan.
October 3, 2015
Good idea but uneven execution.

The concept: three of the greatest movie directors the world has known, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola, are each given a 35-40 minute segment to make a mini-movie set in New York. The three segments are not connected in any way. The result is New York Stories.

The movie starts with Scorsese's segment, titled "Life Lessons". A famous artist, Lionel Dobie (played by Nick Nolte), is in love with the artist he is mentoring, Paulette (played by Rosanna Arquette). However, the feeling is not mutual...

Coppola's segment, "Life without Zoe", involves a young girl, Zoe (played by Heather McComb) and her privileged-yet-parentless life.

Woody Allen's segment, "Oedipus Wrecks", completes the movie. A NY lawyer, Sheldon Mills (played by Woody Allen), is constantly being embarrassed by his aging mother. Then one evening he takes her to a magic show and things take a turn for the bizarre...

The Scorsese contribution was interesting, with a nice twist at the end. Did seem to in circles occasionally, and didn't move forward at any great pace, but the interactions between the characters was engaging.

Coppola's segment was easily the worst of the three. Silly and pointless. It feels like it was made for kids, which, if it was, is starkly out of place with the clearly adult-orientated Scorsese and Allen portions. And even kids will probably find it silly and boring...

Woody Allen's piece was the pick of the bunch. It displays Allen's sublimely clever, dry wit plus adds a large dollop of the ridiculous. Very funny at times with a twist that is quite bizarre. Nice-bizarre, though it does border on the silly.

7/10s for the Allen and Scorsese portions, 3/10 for Coppola.
½ July 12, 2015
Loved Life Lessons. Liked Oedipus Wrecks. Hated Life Without Zoe.
July 5, 2015
This is probably the best anthology film I've see. The only thing that brings it down is the Coppola portion of it. Other than that there's some great performances from Nick Nolte, Rosanna Arquette, and Woody Allen.
June 9, 2015
"Life Lessons" (Scorsese)-This is really different from the Scorsese we are used to see. This special form (=short episodes) seems to have given the directors some new possibilities and freedoms. The movie is great. Nick Nolte and Rosanna Arquette are absolutely perfect. The story is simple on the surface, but the characters are very well build and very realistic: They are both lovable, sympathetic and stupid and selfish at the same time. The characters are maybe the deepest and most multi-dimensional that I've ever seen in a Scorsese movie.

"Life Without Zoe" (Coppola)-Very interesting movie. The story is about rich people, a rich and well succeeded family. The movie shows that rich people are people also. Very specially directed and acted. Very interesting.

"Oedipus Wrecks" (Allen)-I don't know if Allen is a director or an artist at all. He don't have anything to say, at least in this short picture. He's again acting himself, and comically, not acting very good. He's a super-neurotic person that creates problems out of nothing. He doesn't seem to have anything else in his life than whining about nothing and making movies about that. This is his most boring work I've seen. OK, maybe he's done something good also. But this was so bad, so boring and uninteresting that I hardly could watch it even with fast forwarding.

Overally, because the Scorsese's piece is so great, and the Coppola's piece also in it's own way, this episode movie was very good, and very interesting. Allen's part couldn't make the other parts worse. Recommended for everybody.
½ May 24, 2015
São três diretores do mais alto escalão, mas a falta de unidade entre as histórias atrapalha o resultado final - principalmente o segmento de Francis Ford Coppola, disparado o mais fraco.
May 21, 2015
3 gr8 American directors stitch together this com-dram reminded me of 'three rooms' 5/21/15: just rewatched and all 3 of these mini NY stories are gr8 cant decside which I liked best.
December 28, 2014
For timing purposes I only re watched Allen's segment here.
November 6, 2014
Review:
These 3 short movies by these top directors, wasn't as good as I thought they would be. Scorsese's short movie with Nick Nolte and Rosanna Arquette, was the best of the three but I still expected better from him. The story follows a painter who is totally in love with his ex-partner, who keeps on using him, and he only seems to paint when she is in his life. Nolte put in a good performance, but the storyline didn't seem to go anywhere. The next short from Coppola was terrible. It followed a young girl who had rich parents and seemed to live by herself most of the time because of there busy work commitments. Personally, I found the little girl annoying and this was another storyline that was weak and uninteresting. Woody Allen's short wasn't that much better. Its about a man who has an annoying mother who just won't stop interfering in his life. I didn't find this short that funny and the whole woman in the sky thing was ridiculous. In all, I was disappointed with these short movies which centred around New York, but out of all of the directors, Scorsese is the winner. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
Once these directors heard that they were going to be making a movie together, based on 3 different stories, I expected them to pull out there best work, but the end results were quite poor. Coppola hasn't done anything that amazing since the Untouchables and the Godfather and Woody Allen hasn't done anything in the same calibre as Scorsese. I think that the whole film was based on there love for New York, hence the title, but the individual films haven't really got that much to do with the city. I know that it's obvious that they were filmed in New York but thats about it. Anyway, Scorsese latest movie, The Wolf Of Wall Street was brilliant and his work on this project put the other 2 directors to shame. As this film came out in 1989, I think that it would be totally different if the directors teamed up again to make another movie like this.

Budget: $15million
Worldwide Gross: $11million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there dramas about 3 different stories based in New York and directed by Coppola, Scorsese and Woody Allen. 4/10
September 6, 2014
Woody's segment is great; the other two are awful.
½ August 25, 2014
Here's how to watch this movie: enjoy the first story, perhaps finding it a tad undeveloped but a good kick-off none the less. Now, be careful because it gets tricky: put some Sinatra on, or just think of skyscrapers and Central Park, while the second film is running - this will help you stay in the mood, trust me. Return to your seat when the credits roll, and watch Woody Allen save the day and teach you to love your mom because she always knows best. You're welcome!
July 10, 2014
BUENA PELICULA BUENOS DIRECTORES
½ July 2, 2014
Worth seeing primarily for the Scorsese segment, though the Woody Allen segment is a lot of fun.
March 1, 2014
The Scorsese segment features great performances and direction, but isn't overly exciting.
The Coppola segment is an absolute bore.
The Allen segment is smart, fun and hilarious short making it the best of the three.
January 19, 2014
the first story is so and so, the second is really bad but the third is good and funny.