Newlyweeds Reviews

• Jan 29, 2016

More of a drama than comedy

More of a drama than comedy

• Apr 17, 2014

You're Indian but you're you! Lyle and Nina are in love but Nina wonders where their relationship is going. They stay home every night, complaining about their day, then get high on weed. She starts talking to a colleague, who also smokes, and realizes the only way to change their direction, is to change their actions. Can Lyle and Nina cut back on weed, or will Nina have to walk her own path to get where she wants to go? "Mommy said you were in heaven." "No baby, this is hell." Shaka King delivers Newlyweeds in his directorial debut. I thought the premise for this film was very well delivered and well paced. I also really enjoyed the development of the characters and the situations they found themselves in. The acting was better than I anticipated and the cast includes Amari Cheatom, Trae Harris, Tone Tank, Isiah Whitlock, Tonya Pinkins, and Diane Neal. "For some reason, Busta Rhymes was holding me hostage at gun point." This was an independent film I came across while scrolling through Netflix and decided to give a chance. The overall film unfolds well and tells an interesting tale. I also thought the characters and script were well written and executed. Overall, this is worth seeing once but may not be worth adding to your DVD collection because you'll likely only watch it once. "You smell like a pamper full of vomit." Grade: B

• Feb 01, 2014

This film is the best indie I've seen all year. We all know every character in our daily lives.

• Dec 25, 2013

YAWN. Made it 30 minutes.

YAWN. Made it 30 minutes.

• Dec 21, 2013

Has some good moments

Has some good moments

• Dec 21, 2013

A day in the life films are my favorite. it's no wonder that spike lee loves it. it humanizes the "pot head". it humanizes the escapist...and i think that is the most salient point for me with this movie. we are able to see that everyone from the re-po man to the museum worker to the lady running from the re-po man...they all have to make choices. and though we see a not-so "tragic" ending ... there is a sense of responsibility and accountability that everyone holds. thats some powerful stuff

• Sep 30, 2013

Beautifully written romantic comedy with great cinematography. Will take you through a journey with twists and turns of a herb toking couple that are both affected, inspired, disturbed by love and addiction to the herb.

• Sep 28, 2013

I went to an opening night showing outside of Washington, D.C. and wasn't initially sure I would like Newlyweeds. First, I've never smoked pot and second, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this independent film turned out to be. For a first time director, Shaka King really delivers a heartfelt, well-paced movie. I didn't want to relate to the lead, Lyle. But, in the end I couldn't help but sympathize with him and that's due to some great acting by Amari Cheatom as well as the very good storytelling by King. Isiah Whitlock, Jr. (The Wire) makes a nice cameo in it as well. If you're looking for a film to take you away for an hour and a half and see a different perspective on young romance, this might be the perfect film for you.

• Sep 27, 2013

Did not know what to expect. This movie was interesting, funny, and poignant all at the same time. There are some really funny moments. It's a buddy movie, a romantic comedy and a study on dependence. You really want to root for the protagonists. Beautifully shot in Brooklyn in 21 days, it's a must see for anyone caught in between that world of responsibility and fantasy and escape. Purposefully ambiguous, it brings you into the mellow world of young adults caught up in their mundane existence.

• Sep 27, 2013