Newsies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Newsies Reviews

May 24, 2014
The Family Loves This Movie
½ May 7, 2014
A great musical with a star in the making performance from Christian Bale
½ April 28, 2014
It's insulting that Kid Blink, the true hero of the newsies, hardly has a role in this (terrible) film. Sad to think maybe it's due to his eye patch. Why change that part of history? There is nothing redeemable about this movie.
April 7, 2014
Probably as a teenage girl, I would have loved all the gyrating boys. As an adult watching, it felt kindof dirty. The only two things Newsies has going for it are a now famous young cast, and some nicely choreographed dance numbers. The songs aren't particularly catchy, and the singing isn't that great either. As a plot, Newsies is pretty damn dull and overly sentimental. It's Disney at its worst.
March 28, 2014
Sadly there was just not a connection. Coupled with a slow storyline it was not what it could have been.
March 20, 2014
A sometimes enjoyably corny movie
March 10, 2014
Newsies is a hit Broadway musical with very good production value. The movie, however, scores a bit lower. The cinematography is a bit iffy, and the casting is questionable. But, still an okay movie.
February 8, 2014
See how 89% of users like this movie? Listen to them. Now let me give you a disclaimer, if you hate musicals you may not have to much fun, but if musicals only sometimes annoy you, you will be amused. If you like or love musicals, welcome to heaven. Movie was a critical and box office flop, but it gained a cult following and is now a show on Broadway. A young Christian Bale leads a very fun cast on an entertaining romp thru the Newsboy strike that changed the child labor laws to the way we know today. Just so you know, before this parts of America pretty much ran on Sweat shops. The songs are catchy, the period sets and costumes are transportive, and the young cast includes David Moscow(little Hanks in Big) and Max Casella(Doogie Howser's best friend Vinny Delpino) and veterans Ann Margret, Bill Pullman and Robert Duvall.
January 29, 2014
Amazing. (Not as good as musical on broadway)
January 3, 2014
Outstanding movie!! It was fun, sad, entertaining, and emotional!! This film is absolutely for the whole family to enjoy from start to finish!! It teaches a valuable lesson to never give up!! The songs were amazing to listen to throughout the whole movie!! The whole cast was absolutely magnificent, especially Christian Bale!! This is one of the best musicals of all-time!! This is obviously a must-see!!
December 27, 2013
Wonderful musical filled with all of the right elements.
December 10, 2013
One can't help but have fun watching Newsies, in large part because of its star, Christian Bale. Without too much dissection, the film plays well to younger audiences and presents some meaty subject matter in an easily swallowed way.
½ November 18, 2013
The songs are
Eh........god it sucks the life out of me
Everything else is not worth the view
November 18, 2013
Not a huge fan of musicals, but if I had to watch one it would be my pleasure to watch Newsies.
½ November 15, 2013
Newsies is a decent film. It is about the newsboy strike of 1899 in New York City. Christian Bale and Bill Pullman give good performances. The script is a little slow in places and the music is okay. Kenny Ortega did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
November 8, 2013
Anyone who didn't like this movie doesn't reserve the right to have an opinion :D Probably one of Christian Bale's best performances.
November 4, 2013
What can I say? I have a soft spot for 1992's Newsies. Christian Bale really shines in this early role as Jack Kelly. The score isn't too shabby either. This film really doesn't deserve the hate it gets. 5/5.
October 17, 2013
Lacks substance, songs are good, pace is too fast, and acting is eh. Stage version is 100% better
September 6, 2013
Even in this Disney musical, Christian Bale is still a bad ass.