Ngor Fu (Crouching Tiger) (Operation Undercover) (Wo Hu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ngor Fu (Crouching Tiger) (Operation Undercover) (Wo Hu) Reviews

½ February 20, 2014
My Rating: 3.5/5 stars; Grade: B; Gesture: One Thumb Up; Status: Somewhat Good (Fresh); Emoticon: :-}.
½ December 9, 2013
Not a bad entry from the prolific and amazingly talented Wong Jing. Fans of Infernal Affairs will enjoy this tale of Triads vs Cops, with the fantastic Eric Tsang among many other great stars. Worth checking out!
November 14, 2012
Another undercover cop movie from HK. Starring Tsang and Ng, this one deals with very long-term infiltration and the spectrum of people that are cops and triad.
½ June 2, 2012
I didn't hate it. The script was a bit typical. It was a cliche' and the characters aren't very interesting. The cast is great, but none of them do anyhting that's really that spectacular. When they tried filming an action scene, it just got boring as it went for a little too long. But there were a lot of good elements. I liked the way everything links together and the planning of the plot was done well. It will start to get predictable at a point. They went a little too far with the betrayal theme. Everyone's either a cop or a gang banger, and there's no need to use that a lot in this film coz at every moment we see someone revealing that they are on the opposite side. Look, I think they do have some good points here, but they don't really have much that I would call terrific.
February 18, 2012
i know i've seen it but i don't remember
March 27, 2010
One of the best Hong Kong movie of Y2K era. Well pace, good story, good actors. Operation Undercover led by Miu Kiu Wai is to recruit police and have 1000 of them sent to become undercover to remove the triads. Miu used to be one for 7 years. The primary gang is led by Yue Hua and runs by capable men like Eric Tsang, Francis Ng, Jordan Chan, Julian Cheung. Not long into the story have one small member been nab by the cops. Eric send a killer Shawn Yue to kill the undercover Timmy Hung. The gang soon face troubles from the police as the pressure mounts. Julian's activities were busted and he consulted Eric for help. Eric told him it is better for him to run and he will take care of his business and mum. Francis who has some shares shared with him also face problems like all his money been freeze by authority. Eric keep trying to unite all of them together to stay strong. He later met Sonija Kwok at a shop and slowly likes her. Julian didn't run away. He went to find Jordan to tell his plan of working together to overthrow Eric and Francis. Eric wants Shawn to run away but that attempt was tip off by Julian to Miu. Eric find Miu personally and reveal to him he has a witness and know during his days of undercover, he rob a bank and killed a cop. He want to use this as a bargain chip. The big boss holds a meeting and wants everyone to write down their choice of scapegoat. He now knows Eric is the trustworthy among them and even though he is good worker, he must send him to his doom first if trouble arise. Julian saw Francis child in the pub and gave him a poison drug. The next day he tries to escape, Francis kills him in front of his mum. Eric decide to reveal his love to Sonija but Shawn is gonna kill him as he thought Eric tip off. The part is quite sad for Eric as he bought roses and almost made it but still can't escape death. Francis surrenders to Miu and it turns out he is also undercover. Soon the whole gang was smash. Francis jailed for 5 years and the big boss 20 years. Francis upon release will be the new leader of the gang recommended by the big boss. When Francis decides to quit been undercover, the new cop leader force him to continue after release or else his wife and children will be deport back from Australia. Miu also confess the cop killing to another superior.
SpunkyJamez
½ October 12, 2009
September 30, 2009
This started really slow and boring, but the ending was better. But still not as exciting as I thought. But the ending was a surprise, not huge, but OK.
September 15, 2009
Here's a Wong Jing picture you won't feel embarrassed about. What distinguishes Wo Hu from other Infernal Affairs-imitations is a strong cast able to turn Wong's usual cardboard characters and clownish Triad-types into real people. Even the minor parts are filled by some recognizably talented actors here. A good-sized budget also makes it look less cheap than director Marco Mak's previous joints, and working with a great cinematographer like Lai Yiu-Fai (who incidentally also worked on Infernal Affairs) doesn't hurt either. Most surprisingly though, not much of the speculative or exploitative side of Wong Jing pop up in his uncharacteristically solid and balanced script.
½ September 27, 2008
One of the better triad movies these days.. All the actors were very good.. it showed that even triad members can be good.. Eric Tsang and Francis Ng were superb in their roles..
August 1, 2008
Kind of like infernal affairs. But not as good.
½ July 27, 2008
Bit confusing at first, but then I liked it more as the movie went on
½ July 27, 2008
Huge disappointment; a seemingly interesting idea done in by poor dialogue and a dull story. With a predictable Chinese ending to boot, where everybody ends up either dead or in complete sorrow.
½ May 21, 2008
The characters of the traids members are too inconsistent. Sometimes they're hardcore badass, another time they talk like kids. That's too much for me. I know the director is trying to incorporate "another side of life" of these gangsters, but be more realistic please?

P.S. I love Francis Ng.
February 18, 2008
This movie seems to alternate beween a triad cime story and a character study drama, making it uneven at times. What makes it above average is the strong performance from the cast. Don't miss the secret ballot scene.
January 21, 2008
I love this movie. One of Eric Tsang's finest. The plot is not entirely original but the climax set it aside from most HK triad movies. The cast was good too. What can i say, i love triad movies.