Ni Liv (Nine Lives) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ni Liv (Nine Lives) Reviews

½ June 7, 2016
Based on a true story and a incredible story. A ship of Norwegian soldiers goes down in north of Norway, in a german attack. Somehow one soldier managed to escape in a blaze, through ice-cold water and snow. A legend starts to rise to the locals, who sets they strength in order to get the wounded solider into safety in Sweden. A heroic endurance and probably more than nine lives, we are witnessing. If this is true, it's impossible to imagine.
February 1, 2013
i've seen a masterpiece
June 16, 2012
As with many movies, it doesn't cover all the events of the true story about the Norwegian 'HERO' Jan Baalsrud. He survived a seemingly impossible set of situations due to the selfless and brave actions, under the noses of the invaders, by his fellow Norwegians who were risking their own and their families lives should they have been caught.
Watch the film but then read the book 'We Die Alone' by David Howarth. This will give you the full story of the episode but also what was going through the mind of Jan Baalsrud whilst his escape proceeded.

It's not an easy film to see, I had to get my DVD from the USA but it was well worth it.

I would love to see this film being re made covering the whole story as told in the book.
April 7, 2012
Tänker er Hjältarna från Telemarken möter 127 timmar i svartvitt, då kommer ni rätt så nära.
August 30, 2011
Said to be the Best Norwegian Film of the Century.
½ April 9, 2011
This is with no doubt one of, if not the best film of Norway by far! For god's sake, why isn't it better known within and outside Norway? It deserves more recognition than these dull films that we get in Norway nowadays.

I will admit that it's not perfect, especially compared to American films from the 50's. There isn't much character development as there should have been, the acting could have been better, it "cut to the chase" on one scene to another in a way that doesn't feel suitable and it needed a better build-up. Yet, the storyline is great and it has a good amount of suspense. I prefer "Ni Liv" (Nine Lives) over Flåklypa any day!
½ December 30, 2009
This is a very good movie from Norway about a true story from World War II. It's considerd one of the best movies from Norway.
½ August 22, 2009
Historien e jo ganske interessante, men eg syns egentligt ikkje han har holdt seg så utruligt godt. Og det at heile filmen e ein transportetappe med de same problemene igjen og igjen hjelpe heller ikkje. Blei fusst spennande heilt mot slutten.
½ March 27, 2009
One of the few movies that Norway can say is a classic. It's survival story against both the cold Norwegian snow, blindness and evil German Nazis during the WWII still hold up and is fascinating since it's based on a true story. The cinematography is also very good.
December 17, 2008
Ein norsk klassikar!
July 23, 2008
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
May 11, 2008
The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to see a great survival movie, accept no substitutes. I've seen this movie 4 times. i never grow weary of it, because to this day it still entertains the hell out of me. the superb direction and supreme thrills made this movie stand the test of time. 50 years since it's release, it has a strong following of fans that love this movie for all that its worth. i would be heartbroken if i didn't have this movie in my DVD collection! every movie collector should have this, because it is really one of a kind! Jack Fjeldstad portrays Jan Baalsrud in a truly great fashion. The movie was nominated for an Oscar in 1958, but lost to "Notti di Cabiria, Le" (1957). i haven't seen it. but to win over "Ni Liv", it has to be great!