Nice Guy Johnny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nice Guy Johnny Reviews

March 4, 2016
I just enjoy Edward Burns movies, they include real characters and real situations. Matt Bush is a little odd for the lead character and lacks that certain strength. It isn't a bad thing as he is serviceable as Johnny but not great. The rest of the cast is good and the story has that issue that affects everyone at some point in there life. The ending is really uplifting and brilliant, completely worth the time.
½ June 13, 2013
A sports talk show host develops affection for a beautiful young woman while resisting pressure from his fiance to take a job in cardboard sales.
I'm surprised at how disappointing this film is. Writer/director Edward Burns often crafts complex, colorful characters and puts them in interesting relationship dilemmas. The formula usually works, but these characters are incredibly plastic. Matt Bush says his lines, and that's all that can be said for him. He's nice, as required by the plot, but there's nothing interesting about him.
Burns's theme can be summed up by the stupid cliche, "Nice guys finish last." As evinced by Burns and the cliche, "nice" in this context means "weak" or "ineffectual." Thus, the film doesn't say anything unique about niceness or that sticking to a code requires strength and character. Johnny's code is society's code, the code set for him by everybody else, so there's no individuality to the character.
Overall, unlike most of Burns's work, this movie sucks.
½ May 13, 2013
Trite and not very interesting, or well acted. Rather dull.
April 22, 2013
It's a very nice movie, a little bit corny but still interesting.
½ April 2, 2013
Slightly predictable, but also warm and entertaining rom-com
½ March 1, 2013
It was alright. Not quite what I expected. Johnny is almost insufferably uptight. Yes, he's a nice guy but somehow that becomes synonymous with being a stick about everything and after a while it gets irritating. His fiancee is horrendous and grating. Uncle Terry is funny sometimes but ultimately repugnant and trifling.
½ January 22, 2013
A little derivative of Edward Burns's other film "She's the One", but feels a little slower. The music is a bit too monotonous. However, the subject matter hits close to home for this 25 year old. Worthwhile watch, although not stupendous.
December 12, 2012
Some parts came off like: "I've seen this before.", but I couldn't help to shrug it off. With a 25 grand budget, this is easily one of the best looking indie films I've ever seen. Edward Burns gave a scene stealing performance I thought. Usually when the writer/director also acts, it can come off....not so great but Burns always pulls it off in his movies. The characters were also likable. A film I wish I could make.
December 5, 2012
Nice girl Kerry ......time for other genre movies
½ November 17, 2012
September 22, 2012
A very touching, romantic film. I enjoyed it.
August 12, 2012
Just a simple feel good flick.
June 30, 2012
Despite moments of charm, the movie ultimately fails to ever come together as the indie drama it fancies itself. It has the look and feel of an off-beat romance, but without the clever dialogue, lively characters, and substance which can often transform small films into ones with big impacts. The morals (do what makes you happy/go your own way), the relationships, and the humor are all caught in a muddled screenplay that makes this 1 hr. 29 min movie feel exhausting, and that, in the end, feels too preachy and dull to resonate in that way it should have.
June 23, 2012
This movie was like a mediocre middle school one-act play. Nobody could possibly buy Johnny as a a sportscaster. Ed Burns was good, but nothing could make up for how painful to watch Johnny was.
½ March 6, 2012
An above average romantic comedy,This film is well acted & well directed & the comedic timing is top notch,Edward Burns you have a winner here,SEE IT!!!
March 3, 2012
What would you do? Go with the fiancé or the free spirited?
½ February 20, 2012
A solid watch. Ed Burns is gonna be around for a while.
January 10, 2012
If you don't have anything nice to say...
December 3, 2011
Shot in 10 days with a crew of three people working for free, and it shows.
The plot is flimsy even for a movie. It's a typical finding love story but I couldn't root for the main character because he's an idiot.
December 2, 2011
Really sweet, albeit predictable, romance with a dash of comedy tossed into the mix. Very appealing and accomplished actors in all parts make this a nice respite from the humdrum world. Burns does just fine as a director.