Nihon no Yoru to Kiri (Night and Fog in Japan) Reviews

• Jun 11, 2012

Don't watch this unless forced by some sort of torturer (I was, by my teacher). You won't get it. I spent a week learning and reading about it and I still didn't get it. I'm sure it's brilliant and all that hubbub, but it's not entertaining in the slightest. Not that entertainment has to be a requirement...but for me it is.

• May 29, 2012

Less a film more a political treatise, this is quite disappointing and ultimately yawn-some.

• Jul 17, 2009

If you have planned to see this movie at midnight, you will need litres and litres of coffee, or maybe any harder substance, to watch the whole movie and its political discusses without getting slept... This film shows a lot of the darkest side of Oshima's film (political speeches), but nothing about the brightest side (alternative sex). Anyway, in a technical way, the film deserves to be watched, because of its brilliant sequence shots. Well, better than nothing... But remember to take coffee...

• Mar 09, 2009

Oshima is a completely unique figure in cinema history, but this is far too much into the over-thought ideas-at-the-sake-of-flow cinema. It's a difficult watch, you begin to appreciate the idea of editing as a way of resetting the brain as this film has very few cuts. It's the work of a master, but an indulgent one.