Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian Reviews

February 7, 2016
I thought this was a funny movie I like the part with Bunden that was a funny part and I like how it took place in Washington, D.C. Ben stiller is good in this movie and you will find the same characters and new characters so see this movie!
½ January 15, 2016
A little better than the first movie.
½ January 4, 2016
Like the first Night at the Museum, this movie has some clear-to-notice problems, but it's still a lot of fun to watch.The reason I don't love this movie as much as the first one is because when I finished watching it, I just wished there was a lot more to it. More could have been done in this film. Also I wish there were more jokes here, because I don't remember laughing as much in this one as I did while watching the original. Overall, like the first film, Battle of the Smithsonian is a lot of fun, it's funny, imaginative, and of course, very entertaining.
½ December 30, 2015
It's very... Um... Average.
½ December 29, 2015

Ben Stiller returns as Larry Daley, the unfortunate night watchman who discovered that he needed to "throw the bone" on his first night at the American Museum of Natural History. Only this time, after the exhibits are transferred to the Smithsonian as part of a special presentation there, several additional pieces come to life for the first time--and cause chaos in our country's capital!

Stiller, Robin Williams, Owen Wilson, Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais, and Rami Malek are joined by Amy Adams, Hank Azaria, and Bill Hader in this fun follow-up to 'Night at the Museum.' Not as funny as the original, but still an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours!
December 22, 2015
Things come to life in the film. But the film itself feels lifeless for a good amount of time.
November 28, 2015
A worthwhile sequel that fits well with all of this trilogy. Fun and enjoyable. Recommended.
October 29, 2015
Should have stopped at one.
½ October 5, 2015
I think these are lovely, magical family movies. The first is good. This one, I thought was better. I'm not sure where I'd rank the third and hopefully last, but I think it's a great conclusion to the story.
August 25, 2015
Kids will enjoy this while the adults get up to go make a sandwich and never come back.
August 20, 2015
You can't critique a movie like this. It was enjoyable I guess.
½ August 15, 2015
Bad just.. No story that much as THE SAME FREAKING FIRST MOVIE
½ August 10, 2015
With a plot full of endless possibilities, the stunted and hollow derivation of idea is regrettably a reminiscent reprisal of some of history's most notable figures coming back to life running amuck causing chaos and collateral damage.

The horrendous display of tired, immature and incoherent slap-stick is little more than a fiasco of recycled sugar-rush escapism. The incessant battering of juvenile and overzealous cheap-gags is unable to hold the target attention of children, let alone the bored chaperones.

"Sometimes the greatest change brings about an even greater opportunity." Ted Roosevelt.

Super-successful entrepreneur and infomercial pitchman, Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is miserable and missing his old career. After returning for a nostalgic visit to his former stomping grounds at the Museum of Natural History he is advised that an extensive refurbishment and new fangled interactive holographic displays will take the place of his beloved exhibits.

Unaware of the magical and mysterious nightlife of the miniature dioramas museum curator Dr. McPhee (Ricky Gervais) ships off Larry's former comrades to the Smithsonian for permanent storage. his newfound celebrity status holds no pull for their return.

Unexpectedly that following night whilst Larry is attempting bring his friends back by using his new found celebrity pull, he receives a frantic distress call from call from thimble-sized miniature cowboy Jedididah (Owen Wilson).

Informing him that the crucial Egyptian tablet that gives them life is now awakening the entire contents of the multileveled subterranean underground archives, Larry jumps to rescue his friends for the new threat.

Held captive by the effeminate lisping evil overlord Pharaoh Kahmunrah (Hank Azaria) and his newly animated tyrant allies Napoleon (Alain Chabat) who has a bad case of little man syndrome, Ivan the Terrible (Christopher Guest) who properly translated is "Ivan the Awesome" and Al Capone (Jon Bernthal) still in black and white.

Larry assembles a team of well known historical figures from the sprawling malls vast collection including sassy can-do aviatrix pioneer Amelia Earhart, clueless eccentric General Custer (Bill Hader), the malls marble statue of wise honest Abe and a collection of bobble-headed Albert Einstein's (voiced by Hank Azaria and Eugene Levy respectively).

Will Larry realise the lucrative business enterprise that provided nice suits, a big house, moderate fame are just vain pursuits, and the real point to life is enjoying its simplicity humbly with the people you care for?

Positively attempting to entice children into the amazing world of museums, writing team Robert Ben Grant and Thomas Lennon and returning director Shawn Levy effortlessly toss in a myriad history, art and pop culture.

Factually quibbling the logistical impossibilities Rodin's "The Thinker" is actually in Paris, Grant Wood's "American Gothic" and Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks" are both on display at the Art institute in Chicago, Archie Bunker's chair, Muhammad Ali's boxing robe and Dorothy's ruby slippers are at the National Museum of American History in NY (where the movie starts). I'm quiet positive, if there is a display consisting of a singing trio of Italian cherubs they wouldn't resemble the Jonas Brothers or sing Bee Gee's.

However, there are some wonderfully understated pauses. Momentarily stopping to watch degas' twirling 14 year old dancer as Jeff Koons' Balloon Dog bounces merrily around the galleries. The heroines escaping in the Wright Brothers' plan and Larry's mobile phone working and inspiring a new career for Joey Motorola inside Alfred Eisenstaedt's VJ Day Photo, The Kiss.

Struggling mechanically through the haphazardly clustered and thoughtless lines even the likes of Robin Williams, Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan are unable to scavenge true laughs upstaged sadly by two face-slapping monkeys and an adventurous squirrel.

The frenetic pedestrian and ultimately pointless made-to-make-big-box-office-bucks sequel simply numbs and dumbs the mind and is destined for that popular dusty niche on the rejects DVD shelf.

Ben Stiller's excruciatingly stilted and disengaged "been there, done that" approach leaves the overblown SNL sketch with a gapping hole larger than the Grand Canyon. No amount of spirited performances or witty banter by underdeveloped supporting actors could salvage this needlessly elaborate excursion.

The Verdict : The sheer fact that this only children's based comedy scheduled for release until Ice Age 3 in July makes it people only choice (personally I recommend going to the DVD shop and getting Jumanji). However, this movie lacks the heart, emotion and comedic timing of its nimbler 2006 predecessor. Even with a galaxy of comedy stars in cameos jokes are strangled, corny, uneasy and sadly bereft of all charm.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 29/05/2009
August 8, 2015
The second entry in the Night At The Museum series has Ben Stiller and the gang at a larger museum and introduces some new characters.
Hank Azaria is the villain in the film and Robin Williams shines again as Teddy Roosevelt.
August 6, 2015
I havent seen it but I will because of course it will be funny
½ July 27, 2015
"Sun Come Dumb Dumb". This is as good of a sequel that you will ever see, there are some very funny scenes in this one, they add a few new characters this time around but the older characters are kinda on the back burner this time with the exception of a few but overall a very close call to being the best of 2009 so far but it comes up just a little bit short but still very good, see it.
July 18, 2015
Rating: 82%
Although it mostly follows the first installment, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian still delivers plenty of laughs and a fine performance from Ben Stiller.
July 16, 2015
Much better than the first one. Pretty entertaining.
July 4, 2015
No. Good idea moving the whole "the museum comes alive" thing to the Smithsonian, which gave way to some adult/insider fun of seeing world famous art come to life. And I could tell that my twelve year old was having a blast, but this was just way to silly for me to keep up interest all the way through. Loved that they made Amelia Earhart a major character, though.