Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian Reviews

July 16, 2015
Much better than the first one. Pretty entertaining.
July 4, 2015
No. Good idea moving the whole "the museum comes alive" thing to the Smithsonian, which gave way to some adult/insider fun of seeing world famous art come to life. And I could tell that my twelve year old was having a blast, but this was just way to silly for me to keep up interest all the way through. Loved that they made Amelia Earhart a major character, though.
June 29, 2015
i was just at this museum, the movie trashed the place
½ June 28, 2015
This movie stinks! It is dumber and doesn't have any of the magic that the first movie had. There shouldn't have been a sequel. (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ June 24, 2015
Just as it's according to the premise, the concept have grown into a new branch of another top museum and was stretched with more adventurous outgoing and more attempted comedy throughout as most of the new ones were just silly and unfunny. The sequel benefits from its' predecessor's cast, humor and sort of around the IQ being carried, while it also benefits only on the small amount of its added cast, effects and comic. The rest of the sequel's additions didn't actually do much to carry this sequel to be better than the first visit. Although the way it's placed as the trilogy's penultimate chapter does make this worth seeing and something to enjoy like the first film, even if it's less thanks to the silliness. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ June 8, 2015
If you enjoyed this first one, you will probably like this one as well.
June 2, 2015
Just like the first one; more or less adequate.
May 27, 2015
Another sweet Night at the Museum. One of the most loveable, cute, sweet, charming and ridiculously off-beat comedies that come along once in a lifetime! Very sweet movie!!
May 24, 2015
i liked this slightly better than the first. more fun with the idea but still way to dumbed down for the modern audience. the ending was pretty moronic, just end without all the over the top stuff.
½ May 23, 2015
I've got a feeling it's gonna be an OK night. Battle of the Smithsonian moves quicker than the first one, since it did not need to establish the "Day=Stationery Exhibits, Night=Living Exhibits" thing they had to do in the first one. After two years, it is revealed that Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) became a successful businessman when his company took off, and he quit the night-guardsman job. He still visits, and on the visit we see him make, the curator (Ricky Gervais) is having the exhibits packed, favoring "interactive" exhibits that are less lively than when they are actually alive. Most of them are shipped off to the Smithsonian, but not before Dexter the monkey steals the magic tablet macguffin, and it gets to the Smithsonian. There, we meet our previous pharaoh's evil brother, Kahmunrah (Hank Azaria actually appearing in person, but we still get good voice-work from him as the Thinker and Einstein), leading to an almost-similar repeat of the first movie. The differences are that it takes place in one night, and features Larry's love interest as Amelia Earhart (Amy Adams) brought to life by... the tablet. It makes sense she may feel crazy when she feels awoken after a long (Nonexistent) sleep, but seriously, how does this stuff work? I know it's a kids movie, but they need to explain how the tablet actually works. Ben Stiller still does well as Larry, only instead of being the big dreamer, he's where he wanted to be at the cost of his old livelihood. There is a larger cast of characters this time, but they are stretched too thin this time, leading to the axis of Napoleon Bonapart, Ivan the Terrible, and Al Capone being mere punchlines compared to Azaria's Kahmunrah, though it is hard to believe a pharaoh would be so eccentric. I also wish to point out that the narrower aspect ratio works for Owen Wilson's Jedidiah, because he and Octavius (Steve Coogan) look more believable where they are in their tiny forms, next to the normal-sized characters. Alan Silvestri does another mystique job with the soundtrack, although he treads like, no new ground. The Battle of the Smithsonian will be the movie no one will think too much about, because it just rehashed the first one with a bigger cast and museum.
May 20, 2015
the fun that was in the first is completely gone in this garbage.
½ May 3, 2015
Worst of the trilogy
½ May 2, 2015
Good movie but this movie was not as good as the first one. This movie you can call a bump movie it had its up and downs. But overall it gave entertainment for an hour an forty five minutes.
April 29, 2015
About the same.... and the same rating.
A fresh rating of 67%
"Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian will keep the kids entertained, as well as the adults, with some slapstick humor (which goes a little overboard) and well executed special effects."
½ April 25, 2015
Highly enjoyable. Incorporating the entire Smithsonian complex really expanded the scope of the movie, which keeping the heart of the story the same. I had a ton of fun with it.
April 16, 2015
Just as good as the original.
April 5, 2015
A very sub-par sequel to a decent childrens film. While having a premise that leads to more comedic ideas and possibilities, it doesn't seem to know how to use any of these new ideas to it's advantage and comes off as stale more than it does fresh and new.
½ April 3, 2015
I'm related to someone who knows someone who was a designer on the set of this movie. She watched Ben Stiller do stand up comedy for the crew! She's also been on the set of Australia, and saw Hugh Jackman's bare butt.
April 2, 2015
Though Amy Adams is a fantastic actress, het character was one of the lowest points for the film. Stiller and co weren't much better.
½ March 29, 2015
ridiculous sequel. just as fun as the first though. some great cameos in it. Amy Adams is friggin adorable too.