A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon Reviews

April 15, 2015
Not one of the movies people worship River for I'd guess.
½ October 7, 2013
This is a film where I honestly don't know why it's so low-rated. It's a good movie. It's interesting and of course, River was spectacular at executing his character. I really enjoyed this film, there were funny moments as well as dramatic ones. It was a well-balanced, deep film.
½ March 5, 2013
River Phoenix' immense talent was completely wasted in this turkey.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a look interesting story there.
July 31, 2012
Jimmy's stupid, why did we need to see what a night in his life would be like? I've seen a lot of similar movies that are better.
½ May 13, 2012
Didn't realize there was a River Phoenix movie that I hadn't seen yet. Entertaining enough.
September 15, 2011
Nothing is beyond you.
August 14, 2011
This flick wasn't heinous but had few quality things going for it - River Phoenix's pompadour, Ione Skye as a total mega-b*tch and Matthew Perry as a complete dork. Other than that, the title character was such a douche that it was hard to root for him or anyone else in this flick. When he finally gets the crap kicked out of him, I was almost cheering. And Meredith Salenger was just blah...
May 26, 2011
Anything River Phoenix is in is amazing.
½ April 30, 2011
It's not that bad actually
½ September 27, 2010
I remember seeing this as a youngster. I was in awe of Jimmy, as a sort of pre-Zack Morris. Yet was stunned at how vile a person, and in turn, a movie could be. As it is, much like St. Elmo's Fire, I'm not sure that there's a single redeeming character here.
Some of the acting was poor. Even the usually luminescent Phoenix at times seemed flat. Though a surprisingly stunning supporting performance by the Suzie character in the film. I also wish Matthew Perry's role would've been slightly larger.
Ultimately, the film is laden with too many flaws. The money issues are unclear at times. The ending with the girl whom he was pursuing for two hours is so sudden & unsatisfying that it's impossible to overlook. The 'moral' of the story is lacking. The father/son ending stretches suspension of disbelief a bit far. And generally, just lacks focus.
It's a shame too. The story, especially with Phoenix, had great potential. While it's nice for some nostalgic purposes, overall, too indulgent.
½ May 11, 2010
A very confused movie. I'm not sure it knows precisely what it's about. The cover presents it as a contemporary teen sex comedy. However, it's set in 1962 (though it offers no sense of the period at all); despite the R rating, there's no nudity to fulfill the "teen sex comedy" genre requirements; and it's not funny--and I don't think it was meant to be. It's just a coming-of-age film about a character so immature and repellent I hoped he would disappear. A young Matthew Perry has a small role.
½ March 20, 2009
"The Breakfast Club" nos mostro que las comedias adolescentes pueden ser profundas sin perder la gracia. Esta en la antitesis. No tiene gracia y pretende ser profunda.
December 3, 2008
I never got to see this when I was younger, but River Phoenix + Ione Skye = must-see, no matter how bad it is.
November 19, 2008
A mess of a teen movie but with that cast?!
Watch it anyway! hehe
October 30, 2008
Not your usual teen comedy, but still pretty good! The plot didn't seem too strong, but i thought the ending suited the film really well.

The character of Jimmy Reardon wouldn't be that likeable if River Phoenix didn't bring a sense of charm to him. Basically, Jimmy tries to prove to Lisa (the girl he supposedly loves) that he's worth it, but in the mean time sleeps with every other girl in town! A little strange, but this film does have its funny moments.
"I don't feel like jack the ripper today"
"And i have one thing to say, Fuck you all, you all"

Not a bad watch (:
September 17, 2008
17 year old Jimmy Reardon is infamous among the girls in his posh neighbourhood for being something of a ladies man, even his girlfriend knows about his conquests. Under pressure from his Father to go to a business college, he decides to rebel against his circumstances, but ultimately comes to realise that they are in fact exactly what he needs to respect. Written and directed by William Richert, 'A Night In The Life Of Jimmy Reardon' is a simplistic teen comedy-drama that doesn't score high for originality or authenticity. Having said this, it is still an easy film to watch and is in no way disappointing. The text seems to set itself an average standard and achieves this quite perfectly. The late River Phoenix plays the eponymous lead character. He is believable due to his charm and good looks, but he seems to be lacking a certain sinister form of conviction, which made me think 'He's just to nice a person to cheat on his girlfriend'. This may be naive on my part, but Phoenix's gentility in the execution of the character makes him to likeable; which I suppose isn't a fault, but at the same time it is; he makes what should really be a rather cold character to warm and moral. The rest of the cast perform well enough, and it's funny watching a very young Matthew Perry practically playing Chandler all over again. With it's lively and pretty racy plot-line and handsome lead, 'A Night In The Life Of Jimmy Reardon' is a harmless teen drama that will most likely appeal to fans of River Phoenix. Not bad.
½ September 15, 2008
The plot of this film is pretty pointless, and for a comedy; its not that funny. However, the prom night scene is hilarious and the young Matthew Perry & River Phoenix make a good team.
Basically, Jimmy has to raise enough money to follow the so-called love of his life, Lisa, to Hawaii. But there are a lot of problems along the way; many of which he creates for himself. This character is suppost to be in love with Lisa, however he still chooses to sleep with several other women, and stand her up on prom night! Why?
River Phoenix is convincing and charismatic as the troublesome teen, however, can be described as "fresh faced for such a scamming character".
Not bad. .
August 19, 2008
OMG this was so weird.
½ July 21, 2008
omg i loved river phoenix in this moive and i though he was so cute=]
The late, much-missed River Phoenix had his first starring role in A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon, one of the more unusual teen comedies of the 1980s. Jimmy (Phoenix) is a lower-class kid whose parents have gotten him into a wealthy school, where he hangs out with kids who can't comprehend not having money. Jimmy puts the moves on almost every girl he meets, including Denise (Ione Skye from Say Anything and Gas Food Lodging), the girlfriend of his best friend Fred (a very young Matthew Perry, who has gone on to huge success on the TV show Friends), even though his own girlfriend, Lisa (Meredith Salenger), is about to move to Hawaii. On the evening of graduation, Jimmy ruins just about every relationship he has and wrecks his dad's car along the way. A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon is based on a novel that screenwriter-director William Richert wrote when he was 19, and you can tell--the movie is full of self-aggrandizing gestures, bad poetry, and wounded looks. But despite that--or because of it--the movie also has something of the genuine chaos of late adolescence, when you start to realize that the dreams you have might not be what you want, and that your worst fears might not be the worst that could happen. Phoenix is a truly charismatic presence, though his fresh face is a bit at odds with his scamming character. The movie isn't a cinematic Catcher in the Rye, but it's exploring the same troubled territory.