Night of Dark Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night of Dark Shadows Reviews

August 5, 2015
I went into this one thinking I'd caught it before, perhaps on a TCM late night viewing, but I was surprised to find it all very new to me. I enjoyed the film overall, but it didn't really feel like what I was expecting from the series, if I'm being completely honest. I think I was expecting more vampires and got ghosts and witches instead, which just didn't scratch the same itch.

½ November 8, 2014
"Dark Shadows" creator Dan Curtis originally planned this film to be a direct sequel to the previous "Dark Shadows" film, but the actor who played Barnabas Collins, understandably, did not want to get typecast as a vampire, so Curtis took a subplot from the show (which I was completely unfamiliar with) and essentially made a haunted house story about a couple moving into the Collins estate. The only real fun for me was that the film features my favorite Angel, Kate Jackson, who made her feature debut, taking her series character to the big screen.
½ November 2, 2014
A modest exploitation supernatural tale, that seems better suited to be soap opera day TV fare than a feature movie. The atmospheric low-budget flick about an evil ghost witch bothering a new tenant was inspired by the popular television soap-opera/horror melodrama Dark Shadows. Dan Curtis ("Our Fathers"/"The Love Letter"/"Intruders") helms the second film he based on that TV show, with the first Dark Shadows rip off the far better flick.
June 8, 2014
2nd and weakest of 2 movies spun off the hugely popular TV soap opera "Dark Shadows"
November 26, 2013
Haunted by the Past--Terrible sequel due to editing, not so much story!!
November 20, 2013
Secondo film tratto dalla serie tv di culto. Pi lento del precedente, accelera il ritmo nel finale. Non male.
½ May 4, 2013
Nice addition to the famous app
April 16, 2013
I give this a three because i have seen the deleted scenes, and if they could only be incorporated into one glorious Director's Cut of some sort this film would be regarded a lot higher than it is. Even uncut the fim isn't as good as the House of Dark Shadows but it does take us on a more spectacular journey. And i must say that Lara Parker is looking S-E-X-Y throughout the entire film. If i were Prince i would write an entire EP about her and what i think of her. I would call it "Sensual/Wicked/Nectar"
March 20, 2013
Oh how I wish I could give Night of Dark Shadows, the second feature film based on the 1960â(TM)s television soap opera, Dark Shadows, a positive review, I really do, but truth be told, even for a hardcore Dark Shadows fan like me, the film just isnâ(TM)t that good. David Selby, Lara Parker and Grayson Hall, along with tons of other regular members of the soap opera cast all put in perfectly enjoyable performances, but an incredibly weak script isnâ(TM)t helped at all by plodding direction and bad camera work. It could be argued that the thing missing from this film is Jonathan Fridâ(TM)s iconic Barnabas Collins, but I have watched months of the series at a time without the famous vampire and know that the ghoulish fun of Dark Shadows can work even without its most famous cast member. Unfortunately, whatever it was that made the series as much fun as it was, is just lacking from this ponderous mess.
November 19, 2012
House of Dark Shadows (1970) was successful enough to prompt Dan Curtis to direct another big screen adaptation of his popular Gothic Horror afternoon Soap (1966-71). Canadian Shakespearean actor, Jonathan Frid, decided not to reprise the role of Barnabus Collins. As a result, Night of Dark Shadows has a new storyline and is not a rehash of the TV series. David Selby reprises his role of Quentin Collins from the TV series but the character was altered a bit for the movie. Lara Parker reprises her role as the sorceress Angelique from the TV series but the character was, again, altered for the movie (Angelique cursed Barnabus and turned him into a vampire in the TV Soap). Kate Jackson, in her first movie role, plays Quentin's wife, Tracy Collins. She had played a different character on the TV series and The Rookies, Charlies Angels, Scarecrow and Mrs. King and a host of TV movies lay ahead of her.
Quentin inherits Collinswood Manor after Elizabeth Stoddard-Collins passed away following the events of the previous movie; like Jonathan Frid, Joan Bennet chose not to be in this picture. Abstract artist Quentin movies in with new bide Tracy and immediately feels like he has been to Collinswood before. Soon he starts having nightmares, dreaming of events that occured during the life of his ancestor, Charles Collins, who Quentin resembles. Sinister housekeeper Carlotta Drake (Grayson Hall) knows more about what is happening than she is letting on.
As with House of Dark Shadows, I found that Curtis's pacing was slow. There are fewer charaters than in the previous film but the plot still seems to overwhelm the story at times. curtis does excell at maintaing a creepy atmosphere. Its Spring in New England but Collinswood seems very cold and isolated. Though House of Dark Shadows did enjoy a VHS release, Night has been unavailable on any home video format until its recent Blu-Ray release. Like House, its worth a look if you are a genre fan.
November 9, 2012
Honestly, this is a better movie than the first one, if only because it creates an excellent, spooky atmosphere, and most of the same actors have learned to dial down their performances for film. It does struggle with the same time and logic gaps, mostly toward the end, and this time because of studio-mandated cuts. However, in general, it's a better picture, and a restored full-length edition could go a long way toward fixing some of its flaws.
October 5, 2012
This Flick was Awesome, can't wait to see a DVD release of this and House of Dark Shadows!!!
July 7, 2012
I remember seeing this when Dark Shadows was in it's hayday. Enjoyed it then and now it gives the opportunity to revisit the past if even for just a short time.
½ April 23, 2012
Sorry not as good as House of Dark Shadows in my opinion.
½ February 24, 2012
Dull and criminally un-scary. I have no idea what happened, here, considering this film's predecessor, while not a masterpiece, was at least a workmanlike horror flick. This is just rubbish.
½ June 8, 2011
Though Dan Curtis had to rush to shave off key scenes in this movie, the finished product is a step-up visually than House of Dark Shadows. David Selby does a fantastic job as Quentin and the story is a nice take off of the old show. Be warned-this movie is for Dark Shadow fans only though. If you are planning on watching this, watch House of Dark Shadows or the tv show first or this movie will probably blow to you
½ March 10, 2010
The currently-available cut makes fairly little sense. Hopefully the restored version will incorporate quite a bit of material from the published screenplay.
February 13, 2010
I love anything and everything Dark Shadows but even the most hard core Dark Shadows fan will tell you that this could have been much better. Painter Quentin Collins and his wife move back to the old Collinwood mansion and before you can say "Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis Production" Quentin is being haunted by the ghost of Angelique, the beautiful and mesmerizing Lara Parker, who was hung as a witch some 200 years ago. Kate Jackson is Quebtin's wife and John Karlen and Nancy Barrett play their friend and next door neighbors. The brilliant Grayson Hall is also on hand as the maid. The film was released after the series was cancelled and rumor has it, and I have the script, the films original running time was roughly 129 mins. Mgm wanted to release the on a double bill with House Of Dark Shadows and demanded 39 mins be cut from the film (in 3 days). So if it seems that most of the film is hard to follow and plotlines are started just to be completely dropped your completely right. David Selby was one of Dark Shadows most popular characters but this film just doesn't give himanything to do. The cast is all uniformly fine with Lara parker a standout as the beautiful witch Angelique. The settings and photography are also good but the films script makes no sense. People have been talking for years about a compolete restoration, and a lot of the cut footage has been found, but alas with no sound. So I guess we'll just have to stick to our old vhs copies for the time being until something better comes along. Rated GP. MGM.
½ June 29, 2009
Sorry not as good as House of Dark Shadows in my opinion.