The Night of the Generals - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Night of the Generals Reviews

LittleMissBloodAndGuts
½ May 8, 2011
Just superb, with Peter O'Toole (a redundant name if ever there was one, but I digress) playing a deliciously convincing psychopathic creep. Not a bad adaptation of the book by the same name by one of my favorite WWII novelists, Hans Hellmut Kirst.
January 18, 2011
very wel acted by toole and sharif.. even though it was a thriller but one could easily guess the ending... worth a watch just for acting
January 8, 2011
A very interesting, if somewhat long running piece on what at first appears to be a WWII war story but evolves into a murder mystery with some historical drama and a love story. Really good cast.

Shout out to JP for getting me a copy!
December 6, 2010
This was a film that when I read the synopsis I couldn't help but immediately w/o any hesitation said heck yes and watched with utter curiosity. What I discovered was a film that was as haunting as it was alluring and brought together so many talents I was stupefied beyond all conceivable sense of myself. This WWII thriller brings together the idea behind what classifies a person as a monster. What it delivers is a non-stop edge of your seat thriller that leaves you without words or immediate reaction until long after the ending has been revealed and the dust has settled. Peter O' Toole is at the top of his acting game in the role of the enigmatic General Tanz whose heroic reputation allows him significant leeway and access to all ears unhindered. Omar Sharif (O'Toole's costar from the David Lean episodic classic Lawrence of Arabia) brings charm and an sympathetic yearning for pure justice as the hot on murderer's heels intelligence Major Grau. Donald Pleasence and Charles Gray are given top marks as General Kahlenberge (Pleasence) and General von Seidlitz-Gabler. I absolutely was blown away by everyone's performances and even the cinematic delivery of director Anatole Litvak who delivers a Ripper-esqe murder mystery which I place on one of the highest tiers of unsung masterpieces.
November 20, 2010
Fascinating film. The plot is a little loose, but the historical subject matter is very interesting, and the performances are, unsurprisingly, excellent.
September 1, 2010
This is somewhat of a bulging behemoth of a film - a rather overdone, convoluted conglomeration of genres which is, nonetheless, a vehicle for several spectacular performances. Peter O'Toole is characteristically perfect as the psychotic General Tanz; his somber, brooding megalomania is brilliantly conceived (particularly in contrast to his more frenzied but equally stunning work in films such as The Ruling Class and Caligula). Omar Sharif wisely leaves a great deal to be supposed about Major Grau; his fascination with unmitigated justice clearly makes him the most likeable character in the film, but Sharif's overall performance is remarkably undertoned and nuanced. Donald Pleasence, of course, is pitch-perfect as the icy General Kahlenberg; Charles Gray and Coral Browne steal all their scenes as General von Seidlitz-Gabler and his xanthippe of a wife. Philippe Noiret, Tom Courtenay, and Harry Andrews (through uncredited) shine; conversely, Christopher Plummer is wasted in his brief appearance as Field Marshal Erwin Rommel. This is neither a classic war film nor a classic murder mystery; however, for whatever it may be, Anatole Litvak's adaptation of the Hans Hellmut Kirst novel is certainly worth its running time.
jjnxn
½ May 14, 2010
Well acted but overlong drama.
½ March 5, 2010
Nazis murder mystery and omar sherif an peter o toole what else do u want
February 19, 2010
Bizarre and brilliant. Great characters, larger than life performances and a nutty melange of murder mystery, reportage, war film and love story. Tremendous.
½ February 12, 2010
Interesting film that handicapped a great cast by being unsure if it was a mystery or World War II movie and an odd score that didn't seem to match what was happening on screen. After watching this movie and enjoying Peter O'Toole's performance and a miscast but still professional Tom Courtney, I wasn't really sure what the point of this was.
February 6, 2010
With an important theme about the nature of guilt and the promise of a teasing battle of wits, this is an interesting feature that lets the tension run slack, being afflicted with galloping inflation of its running-time.
½ December 13, 2009
an interesting take on the WWII film, as the viewer is completely embedded with the nazis. there are no allied forces to align yourself with and so the film really demands an extra effort to dig into the psyches of these men. and it has to be said that no one-no one--plays madness like peter o'toole. he reminded me here of his later work in 'the ruling class,' but his general tanz is a cooler, more slowly burning type of mania. an aryan jack the ripper. great performance!
October 16, 2009
A great cast, but "The Night of the Generals" is too narratively confused to be anything other than an average film.
October 12, 2009
Peter O'Toole esta impresionante. Que miedito da!!!
July 6, 2009
A little too intense and machiavelian for it's time-- no wonder you have to search on Ebay to find this one. "Generals" is one of the first WWII films and maybe the only of its generation to depict the genocide of the Jews so graphically. Great analysis of the concepts of death and vengeance as they relate to murder, assassination and war. Also probably a more realistic account of the Valkryie conspiracy (minus Tommy Cruise definitely helps).
½ June 7, 2009
Peter O Toole is superb in this film. I've watched this one many times just for his performance. The man is a living legend. It would be unfair not to mention Omar sharif and Tom Courtenay. Both played their roles immensely well.
½ May 31, 2009
The DVD quality was horrible, but that aside this was a really good movie. The acting was superb, but with a cast that consists of Omar Sharif, Donald Pleasence and the superb Peter O'Toole... it's to be expected.
January 29, 2009
Unusual war movie which is why I like it
January 27, 2009
greatest war-thriller...Tanz (
Peter O' Toole) has a cold, psychotic mask, he's a complete serial killer: women's murder and war's criminal. A perfect Nazi. Good cast.
January 23, 2009
A very good little murder mystery, well I say "little", in fact it's far from it being over 2 hours in length and not being confined to the initial 1942 Warsaw murder like I thought but expanding to include futher murders in 1944 Paris and 1965 Germany. With heavyweights like Peter O'Toole, Donald Pleasence, Charles Gray and Omar Sharif running the show the film was always going to be in safe hands and it easily keeps your attention throughout. Don't be fooled by the Christopher Plummer "co-star" credit though, he's in it for maybe 2 minutes max.