Il portiere di notte (The Night Porter) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Il portiere di notte (The Night Porter) Reviews

½ May 18, 2017
Charlotte Rampling is memorable in this movie about a woman who happens to run into an ex-Nazi who had previously subjected her to a sado-masochistic relationship- leaving her confused and unstable in her romantic relationships. Some people dislike this film because it 'makes light out very sensitive subject matter' but those people obviously haven't tried to watch 'Salos- 120 Days of Sodom'...
½ February 2, 2017
June 1, 2016
The Night Porter (1974) ?? 118m. D: Liliana Cavani. Dirk Bogarde, Charlotte Rampling, Philippe Leroy. Repellent "art" film about Holocaust survivor and her Nazi officer that resume their sadomasochistic relationship after a long absence. Bogarde and Rampling give good performances but they're lost in absurd plot. "Sleazy", "morbid", "lubricious", "bizarre", are all words that can describe this movie. Written by . . . who cares?
½ May 14, 2016
A very strange story which spirals down into some pretty dark places. I always heard the name of Dirk Bogarde held in high esteem and assumed he was a family entertainer but this is the second film I've seen him in and both have been dark psychological twisted films so I should seek out some more of his films really. I enjoyed this but I can really see why lots of people won't.
½ April 19, 2016
The best part of this movie was when Charlotte Rampling sings in German. She was quite attractive in her younger days. This was a rather dull film about a former SS officer and the Holocaust survivor whom he tormented back in the Nazi concentration camp. They meet again years after the war and revive their bizarre relationship.
½ March 6, 2016
Art House flick with an interesting, if not somewhat offensive, concept of picking up a love affair where it left off in Nazi Germany between a sadistic concentration camp guard and a Jewish captor. Worth a watch for fans of the genre or the actors. Charlotte Rampling and Dirk Bogard are always interesting in roles that greater known Hollywood elites wouldn't dare touch. Liliana Cavani is equally bold in her directorial approach.
½ December 31, 2015
I was more than a little underwhelmed. It's a handsomely mounted film, with good performances from Bogarde and Rampling, but I was left thinking "so what?" That's not necessarily a problem since films don't have to have any deeper significance, but this really seemed to be striving for something it failed to achieve.
October 20, 2015
Curious story where a chance meeting between a prisoner of war and guard bump into each other at a hotel only to reignite their sadomasochistic relationship.
September 20, 2015
Memoires from an fallen empire, keep coming back to mind. When a SS soldier hidden in plain sight as a hotel porter in Vienna, get reunited with a former girl from his SS past. His inner circle of earlier SS soldiers tries to wash their past through burning evidence, and eliminating witnesses. She might be both. The atmosphere is cold and grey, but the sensual tension of lost sado-maschositic love comes back to life.
August 14, 2015
cool concept and good movie. Lots of scenes with no dialogue just actions. Also contains a few dance and musical numbers. The slower pace feels 70's.
½ June 16, 2015
It's an extremely difficult film to swallow. It's not one that I would ever see again. However, it will more than likely have an effectA deeply disturbing and beautiful film, The Night Porter still manages to arouse emotion so many years after it first appeared. The performances are superb, with Bogarde and Rampling in fine form. I particularly liked the scenes involving the ex - SS men and their 'alcoholics anonymous' - style meetings. There is a slight problem with the synchronisation of speech and film on my copy - and the quality makes it sound like it was very hastily re-dubbed (with the original actors). I wonder if anyone else has this feeling? In any case, the film works on many levels. The atmosphere established by the director is oppressive and dingy....you can feel it yourself.....its like a cold day in autumn when it is steely-grey and rainy outside...SO...watch this movie! (Unless you enjoy films like 'Rock Star'!) on you. Whether you love it or hate it, the film works. The film is all too effective. You may love it or you may hate it, but you're going to remember it.
April 16, 2015
4 stars for the music and performances, but it is a brutal film I'll never revisit.
December 26, 2014
With a little application and imagination I suppose one might read themes of political and philosophical import into this work, but Cavani's style remains stupidly literal and gaga.
½ December 7, 2014
A really thought provoking film and with an interestimg perspective. Not many film makers dare to explore issues and themes like these regarding the holocaust, there seems to be a set way of looking at this topic in order to not cause offence. I think thats a shame I want to know why it is offensive to explore every psycholocical aspect of a situation. Thats really one of the purposes of film to prehaps bring us to understand experiences we have never had. I took this to be a film about guilt. The very worst of both Maxs amd Lucias natures were brought out im the intensity and pressure of the concentration camp. Now they are trying to get on with thier lives as everyone around them is doing but when they are brought togethee they are both forced to confront what happend and I think in the end their choice is a powerful one and an example to those around them who wish to forget.
½ September 22, 2014
Before going into the criticism over sadomasochism, the question is, why do we need a lustful overview of Nazism in the first place?
½ September 1, 2014
I waited three days to review it because I really was uncertain on some things, mainly on the most important, if I liked it or not. I had read the plot so more or less I knew what it talked about, so I was prepared to something seriously "ill", but in the end was not that torbid as I thought. Probably only because 40 years has passed and now the social conception of hard has changed, but probably at the time, most for the topics, was very pushed toward the prohibit and censorable. In fact, Liliana Cavani was very criticized for the movie. So I was a bit disappointed. I also have to say that I watched it in original language, and I probably lost some passages, but some parts was at least unclear. The husband of Lucia (Philippe Leroy) and Dirk Bogard was always unrecognizable. Every scene I had problems in understanding which one was one and which one the other, and if everything is center on the sexual situation that is created between Charlotte Rampling (Lucia) and is ex gaoler, well...it was a bit of a failing! But in the end the movie was very good and very involving, so despite this few disappointments I was happy of it after the ending.
August 26, 2014
The problem with this psychological thriller is that Liliana Cavani chose to set this story of guilt, sexual abuse, conspiracy and human cruelty within the context of the unspeakable horrors of the Holocaust. Quite simply, this story is too complex to place it within the framework of post-WWII Europe. However, that being said, this is an extraordinary film. I had often heard that it eroticized sexual abuse. The truth is - there is nothing erotic about this film. There are moments of cinematic genius at play here. And, Dirk Bogarde and Charlotte Rampling are brilliant and perfectly cast in their roles.
½ August 10, 2014
Charlotte Rampling in her late-20s. A film full of the 1970s + Italian narrative style.