Nightfall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nightfall Reviews

½ May 25, 2014
Nightfall s'avère un bon drame policier originaire de corée du sud. Malgré une histoire un peu complexe celle ci demeure efficace avec quelques flashbacks pour faire bien comprendre ce qui as ammener aux évènements actuels. Une très bonne réalisation
½ April 28, 2012
One of the best sci stories ever written made into one of the worst movie versions of a good book I have ever seen. Wait till someone else remakes it.
April 6, 2012
just ok. bad directed. wasting good actors.
March 19, 2012
I like Nick Cheung's acting in silence throughout the movie and the plot is well laid. And yet, I don't particularly see how the bloodiness in the opening scene of dogfight helps build Cheung's suppressed resentment. It is just some visual excitement that twisted my jaw muscle for a second or two.
September 14, 2011
A surprisingly entertaining low budget scifi fllick that relies more on concept than special FX.
Of course, having Carradine in your film is always a plus to me.
The idea that people would just freak out because of darkness is just mind boggling but that's the beauty of science fiction... it allows you to explore these kinds of ideas.
Worth checking out if you're a major science fiction fan especially if you lean more towards the intellectual side of the genre.
½ March 6, 2010
Makes Uwe Boll look like Peter Jackson.
March 8, 2009
Seriously possibly the worst movie ever made, its really from the late 80's, I saw it at Sunnyvale 6 theatres.
½ February 16, 2008
Inspired by an Emerson quote, "If the stars were to appear but one night in a thousand years, how would man believe and adore and preserver for many generations the remembrance of the City of God which they had seen.: Astounding SF Stories Editor John W Campbell challenged Isaac Asimov to come up with a story about what would happen to a civilization with 1000 years of daylight and one night of darkness. The result was a classic SF short story Nightfall.

As for the movie...
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

There are two versions that I know of based on Isaac Asimov's classic short story about a world bathed in perpetual light where one night in a thousand years, they have complete darkness.

The best I can say is that one movie is not nearly as horrid as the other. One would get a negative rating, the other might be as good as half a star. There is no redeeming value, no great special effects, and to the best of my recollection neither version uses any of the character names from Asimov's story.

Save your time. Save your money. Get a better movie than this.

DO read the original short story by Asimov not the expanded later versions of this timeless classic.
½ February 8, 2008
My first scifi short story was Nightfall, this is the movieversion of this story. Most would find this boring, but it's not another brainless movie. Read the story then wacht it, and you will enjoy it. People are easy to lead and often need a scapegoat.
August 28, 2007
this is a movie not for people used to special effects. has a plot outline more suited to intellectuals. the one quote by emerson in the end (it's in my profile), is awesome..
½ March 10, 2007
Perhaps one of the worst movies ever made.
February 16, 2007
The short story is a lot better
September 28, 2006
This looks really crap.
September 26, 2006
it sounds a lot like pitch black