The Nightmare Before Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nightmare Before Christmas Reviews

½ January 14, 2017
The Nightmare Before Christmas is a beautiful animation, with amazing visuals, great morals, and a different perspective of Halloween and Christmas
December 27, 2016
I always loved it but it really does get even better with every viewing. Have found a new appreciation for the music. I wish there was a little more in j + s relationship before the end. It feels very one sided....
December 26, 2016
A delightful Christmas movie with a fantastic score.
½ December 25, 2016
The story and the characterizations are incredibly simplistic, but the brilliant stop-motion animation and musical numbers really compensate for that, resulting in one of the greatest holiday movies of all-time.
½ December 24, 2016
Puntaje Original: 6.5

La creatividad de Tim Burton es increíble. The Nightmare Before Christmas es muestra de ello, que entretiene a los más pequeños en nochebuena, pero no logra conectar del todo con la audiencia adulta.
December 21, 2016
It was an interesting movie. I was glad to watch it. The animation is pretty cool and the story was unique. I liked the friendly nature of most of the "scary" creatures. I wasn't expecting it to be basically a musical and that wasn't my favorite. It's definitely worth a watch.
December 21, 2016
Very clever. Christmas classic.
December 19, 2016
A delightful and magical story that can be enjoyed by all ages, Tim Burton and Henry Selick's stop motion masterpiece is both a Halloween and Christmas classic, thanks to it's wonderful songs, brilliant animation and unforgettable characters.
December 19, 2016
One of the best Christmas films ever ??
½ December 11, 2016
Almost amazing. Tim burton has never disappointed me. All his movies are dark, creepy, and kid horror. Being a horror fan, Tim burton was my life as a kid. Even though I'm not goth, these movies are still all around goodness. These movies started me into horror and I will always have a debt of gratitude to them. The only flaw in the movie is the love life between sally and jack. One minute jack doesn't know who the hell she is, the next he talks to her for like one minute and wants to date her? It makes no sense how there love progressed. And that's because it didn't. They needed more time to put that part of the story together. In my opinion this is the one and only flaw.
December 10, 2016
The Nightmare Before Christmas is a true classic regardless of whether you see it as either a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie. The film is visually stunning, boasts originality, has some great voice acting and is full of catchy musical numbers with the film's villain Oogie Boogie stealing the show in every scene he's in.
December 9, 2016
I just went on a Disney and this movie was on at 10 o'clock and I got to see it till the song making Christmas and so i think it an OK movie unless you don't like Halloween and so fourth i gave it four stars
December 8, 2016
Tim Burton is a genius and I was watching the images, not the story. The story is basically a happy ending comedy + romance + action with the form of animation and musical. But again, Tim Burton is a genius, period.
November 26, 2016
Delightful holiday film that pays fine tribute to both Halloween & Christmas but peters out a bit in the third act. The first 2/3's of the film are brilliant, with gorgeous stop motion animation (which always works well with horror themed movies), catchy songs and a great voice cast. The details of Halloween Town are ingenious, and you will catch new gags with each viewing, along with a nice satire on the meaning of both Halloween & Christmas, especially with how the holidays tend to bump into each other. However, the third act is cliched with a poorly developed villain in Oggy Boogy, who feels tacked on. Overall, still a fun holiday film that is perfect viewing for both Halloween & Christmas.
November 25, 2016
Brilliant animation, great songs, original and interesting story. What's not to love?
November 22, 2016
The Nightmare Before Christmas has remained in our hearts as the common ground met between two drastically different holidays. The art style used by the collaborative minds of Tim Burton and Henry Selick has the feel of specials like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. Old Pumpkin King Jack Skellington, the spirit of Halloween, may have felt that making two holidays into one was the way for him to change for once, but at the end of this rushed yet captivating experience, he learns the importance of self-satisfaction.

By the end of the Pumpkin King's journey to add a dose of Halloween into Christmas, we the companions of his quest witness fascinating characters including an ultraviolet casino-crazy bogeyman voiced by Ken Page, a literal two-faced mayor, a ghoul whose hat acts like a nesting doll for his smaller selves, a clown with a removable face, an undead child with his eyes stitched shut, and a ragdoll creation stuffed with leaves.

Then each character has their own distinct motion: Jack, being the skeleton he is, stiltedly struts with emphasis on his spider-like limbs, as Sally the Frankenstein creation always appears delicate with the way she plucks flower petals in her lonesome among the bizarre citizens of Halloween Town.

However little sense their created world makes, it is made up for miraculously by the explosive imagination of what we see, almost as if Halloween and Christmas were meant to be together. Minor mesh-ups such as Christmas lights in the shape of a spider-web, or a snowflake trimmed in the shape of an arachnid, or skeleton reindeer, inspire the eerily beautiful art form of stop-motion animation.

Then of course, what more to create the magical world of holiday spirit than a majestically demented musical score by Danny Elfman? His lyrics may come from the intelligence of a child, but the sounds also capture the spellbinding nature of one.
November 21, 2016
Come on like I'm not going to give A Nightmare before Christmas a good review.
November 20, 2016
The Nightmare Before Christmas has stood the test of time thanks to its imaginative story and visuals, memorable songs, and relatable characters.
November 19, 2016
Beautiful in animation, story, memorable characters, and a unique idea, The Nightmare Before Christmas still remains one of my FAVORITE films of all time!!
November 17, 2016
Great movie. This movie never gets old and the music never gets annoying. Its a nice cross bewtween holidays.