The Nightmare Before Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nightmare Before Christmas Reviews

October 21, 2016
Tim Burton really won with this movie. What an imagination he has.
October 19, 2016
One of the best Disney Movies of all time ! Can't explain how wonderful this movie is.
October 14, 2016
Halloween and Christmas classic
October 14, 2016
Best movie ever! I watch it a thousand times over and it better each time I see it.
October 13, 2016
4/5. A lot of fun. A great Halloween and Christmas movie. An original and beautiful film.
October 8, 2016
Why do people love this movie so much? I don't really get it. The story is lame, the characters are lame, the visuals are pretty cool I guess. The music is amazing because of our Lord and Saviour Danny Elfman, but it's not a good movie.
October 7, 2016
Delightful animated movie that manages to pay tribute to both Halloween & Christmas, even if it peters out at the end. Burton's story & Selick's direction create a wonderful world with vivid characters & numerous details (you'll catch something new with every viewing), while poking fun at both holidays. The stop-motion is gorgeous and, as the excellent "Paranorman" proved, the best form for these twisted tales. The only downside is the ending, in which Oogy Boogy is tacked on too late as the villain & never given a chance to be truly compelling. Nevertheless, a great watch for both Halloween & Christmas.
October 7, 2016
Such a great film, I watch it every Halloween.
½ October 6, 2016
Now I will say this about Nightmare Before Christmas, it's not the greatest thing out there. Now that's not to say that I don''t hate it, everythjng but, but it's because, besides it's creative story/premise, Burtons style and wild imagination and Elfmans unforgettable songs and beautiful stop motion direction by Henry Selick, but because it's very simplistic. Every bit of word spoken in that film, that isn't sung, is not really that original. But that's not to say that that's a bad thing, because if that were the case then all the charlie brown holiday shorts and low budget christmas stop moiton short films (like Santa Claus is Coming to Twon, Rudolf, and Frosty) would be bad. So,in other words, Nightmare Before Christmas is a very original film thats very simplistic so that both younger and older audiences will understand no matter what which makes it fit for all generations.
October 4, 2016
Ghoulish & frightful scenery and presentation, The Nightmare Before Christmas is a seasonal treat that is eerily swell. From its effortless animation to its splendid musical numbers, Tim Burton's original tale is majestic and visionary. 4/5
October 1, 2016
Wow, The Nightmare Before Christmas is really an amazing film.
September 25, 2016
Wow Tim Burton made a good movie that is silly!! With good music! And much more it makes a good seasonal movie for family, kids
September 25, 2016
I love Tim Burton's movies... They're so weird and lovely at the same time! <3
September 24, 2016
really good movie for the family!
August 28, 2016
Very close to my favorite movie. There is something morbid, gross and disturbing about it, but something magical, enlightening and surprisingly happy feeling to it. It's the best of both worlds. No complaints at all, everything is amazing.
½ August 27, 2016
One of the most amazing Disney movies ever made! I remember hating it as a kid but now I love it so much! A true classic.
½ August 9, 2016
The Nightmare Before Christmas is a great Christmas movie. This movie is one of Tim Burton's all time best movie ever. A great movie for the whole family. Funny and entertaining! I would very much suggest this movie.
July 21, 2016
could not give it enough stars.
½ July 19, 2016
Captivating and unforgettable. The stop-motion musical is one of the most creative and unique works of animation ever to be squeezed in a mere runtime of 76 minutes. Despite how short it is, there are so much being told thanks to the incredible storytelling. But most importantly, gratitude has to be given to producer Tim Burton for his excessively ingenious vision and for making the characters sing through their dialogue and poems as if he was drafting a script for a play, making the film feel unique through its songs and dramatic delivery. Accompanied by low budget stop motion and a genius score (Danny Elfman OUTDID himself here!), it is one fantastic animation that I'd highly recommend to everyone who wants to see something enjoyable yet not too childish.

The score is really majestic, also the way the characters sing through their lines in a musical is very enticing to see. The musical pieces are distributed evenly throughout, contributing to the dark, scary ambiance. Yet, the music also seem to be what prevents the film into an too scary horror flick. There were scenes where the music added a cheerful tone to potentially frightening, disturbing images and make it somehow enjoyable. For example, the villain appearance might prove to be a bit too scary, but as soon as you realized he was just one of those chanting and bantering characters you'd overlook that fact. All these testifies how well executed is the movie, walking the trampolines between film elements of horror and family-fun. Release in 1993, before even the release of Pixar's first feature film, the animation should prove to be one of the freshest animated pictures ever to have shown on the big screen at that time.

I do believe, however, that the film lost a bit of its momentum as the climax kicks off, as if Burton couldn't conceive of the best way to end. Why should the villain begin mutiny? What got Jack enamored with Sally? Didn't it feel forced? What was with Santa Claus' inexplicable act of gratitude and kindness towards the village he abominates, raining snow over the land just after he censured the kidnappers for their diabolical act?

But regardless of some unexplained storylines and an average climax, you guys should be watching this film just in case you get bored of watching the same genre all over and over. Here's something new, even after 23 years since release.