Nightmare in Wax (Crimes in the Wax Museum) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nightmare in Wax (Crimes in the Wax Museum) Reviews

March 12, 2015
Caretaker of wax museum transforms Paragon film stars into wax models for his museum, as revenge for the Paragon studio head disfiguring him. Cameron Mitchell again rises above the material he is given and provides a glimpse into his career path into the 70s.
March 11, 2014
Dumb, kinda fun, silly, but not close to being any good. The characters are goofy, the plot is lackluster, and there isn't much else to the story though it's not entirely bad either. There's some nice camp for the most part, yet I can't say it's worth the film alone.
½ December 25, 2013
Hell Hath No Fury Like A Wax Sculptor's Scorn--mean n' cheezy!!
½ October 27, 2012
This badly edited and dated horror sees a wax museum caretaker using a personally developed serum that causes paralysis, which he uses against actors and those who disfigured him to make them figures in his museum.
½ September 11, 2012
Mill Creek's 50 Movie Pack: Chilling Classics Reviews
NIGHTMARE IN WAX [1969]: Starring cult movie star Cameron Mitchell in this blatant rip off of MYSTERY OF THE WAX WORKS MUSEUM [1932]/ HOUSE OF WAX [1953], this forgotten Drive-In movie is a mildly entertaining film. The plot sees a deranged Hollywood Make up Artist (Mitchell) seek a vendetta against the studio boss who disfigured him. The Artists revenge plan is to kidnap the stars of the Studio Boss and turn them into displays in his wax works museum. Before too long his next targets are the Boss and his ex-fiancée.

THOUGHTS; with a decent performance by Mitchell and a plot that owes a lot to classic horror films; NIGHTMARE IN WAX isn't a bad film. Sadly it is just plain average. How is this achieved well thanks to the most clichéd end twist in cinema history which the title so subtlety implies. My rating for this film is a solid 50%.
½ July 10, 2010
Ever since the release of Mystery of the Wax Museum in 1933 and it's more popular remake House of Wax starring Vincent Price in 1953, wax museums have had a solidified place in horror cinema. However it would be only a matter of time until a film came around to tarnish that creepy setting and that film would finally come in 1969 with Nightmare in Wax, the cancerous grown of all the wax museum horror films that came before it.

Out plot has a madman running a Hollywood based wax museum attraction, only he uses live people as his "wax" creations. It seems years ago our wax artist was engaged to a beautiful actress but her manager wasn't too thrilled and in a fit of rage throws a full class of wine into our artists face while he is smoking a cigarette, setting him ablaze! This sequence is unintentionally hilarious! He survives, scarred up and wearing a patch wreaking revenge on the Hollywood types.

This is truly Z grade material and everything about this film is bottom line, except for our wax artist played by genre great Cameron Mitchell. His the ONLY thing that makes this film actually watchable, shitty makeup and all. The rest is just hogwash with bad acting, novice directing, and the absolutely dumbest cops ever to disgrace a horror film. Perhaps the dumbest aspect of the film is that our wax artist doesn't kill people and then preserve their corpses as wax figures, he instead injects them with some sort of serum in that paralyzes them. He then posses them ALIVE in his wax museum. This is where the ridiculous plot element kicks in as the serum gives out when the victims are exposed to electricity. Cue in the electrical storm and predictably we have our wax figures rise up to take revenge on their "artist."

Fans of Z-grand material will enjoy and I will admit it kept my attention but that doesn't hide the fact this is a very poorly made film. The reputation of the wax museum being a respectable horror setting was tarnished until the release of Waxwork in 1988 brought it back to its former glory... that is until that fucking second House of Wax remake infected theaters in 2005!
½ May 25, 2010
Weird, inept, cheap, twardy, boring, and may I keep going, no for you get the idea. I think I'll House of Wax (with Paris Hilton) to wash this disaster and then watch the Vincent Price classic.
½ March 24, 2010
Just like watching House Of Wax
February 11, 2010
nightmare in wax is a fun old horror b-movie grindhouse flick so don't worry house of wax fans this not a ripoff nightmare it's pretty much a very creepy enjoyable but very low budget.
January 29, 2010
The story isn't too bad. It could have been a decent movie but instead ended up being a boring pile of crap. This movie could barely hold my attention span for more than a couple of minutes at a time. And of course, they include the dreaded 'it was all a dream' ending.
January 8, 2010
I don't need to watch this one.
½ November 14, 2009
not w/o it's charm - this c-level house of wax is a bit of a drag. I have it as part of the GOREHOUSE GREATS collection on Mill Creek. It is said the writer, Rex Carlton, committed suicide during production cuz he owed big bucks to the mob yhe borrowed to finance other projects. He also wrote "the brain that would't die" & "blood of draculas castle",the latter of which is in the aformentioned collection.
October 30, 2009
I wouldn't watch this again. The best scene was the 60's go-go dancers - and that wasn't scary, it was fun!
½ March 26, 2009