A Nightmare on Elm Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Nightmare on Elm Street Reviews

December 4, 2017
this is an amazing movie i dont see why its rated so low.
November 27, 2017
Why did the filmmakers add a backstory to Kruger? He didn?t need drawn out flashbacks humanizing him. And even what they added to his story was so poorly written it just made him silly. Not to mention the awful dialogue, contrived script, bland characters and horrendous CGI.
November 5, 2017
Well at least they explain how Freddy came about. It was ok not that scary but storyline was not bad
½ November 1, 2017
It's pretty well made and well acted, but A Nightmare on Elm Street suffers mainly from the fact that it is a remake of one of the best horror movies of all time and, frankly, it can't compare to the original. Rooney Mara and Jackie Earle Haley both give decent performances, but sadly they are overshadowed by the original's Heather Langenkamp and Robert Englund respectively. The film lacks many of the clever twists of the original, and the increased gore isn't enough to compensate for that. The changes to and expansion on Freddy Krueger's aren't entirely unwelcome, but they're also proof that the runtime needed padding. Overall, this just a really boring horror movie that's not worth watching.
½ October 30, 2017
The new Freddy didn't embarrass himself in the role, but the writers sure are left with egg on their faces! This movie had potential, but it didn't quite reach the levels of development needed to make it something more than just a cheap knock off.
October 29, 2017
This is a nightmare! The scares are repetitive, the characters are dull, and it's boring as hell.
½ October 25, 2017
NO! JUST NO! THIS IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE! IF YOU LIKE THIS YOU ARE NOT HUMAN!
October 14, 2017
Halloween, Friday the 13th, and now A Nightmare on Elm Street. I don't think this movie was as bad as what critics said but they were right about how badly it lives up to the first movie. The characters were pretty weak and didn't really have any depth, I mean sure this is a slasher flick but still, I had no emotions for the characters. If they died I wouldn't really care. I did think the cast was ok though. The new Freddy was pretty good but he is no Robert Englund. He didn't really have any good lines but other than that I think he did a good job. The CGI was also really good in this movie but that is one of the problems. The CGI is overused. They used CGI way too much. One of the biggest problems with this movie is the amount of jumpscares. After the first 3 jumpscares I was pretty much done. It wasn't scary anymore. There was one scene in the end that built up on suspense but it still wasn't very scary. Overall this was a decent remake. It's no where near as good as the original but I don't think this movie is complete trash. There is some enjoyment to be found in this movie but just not enough. C+
September 12, 2017
I liked it. Good retelling compared to Friday the thirteenth.
September 4, 2017
not even close to as good as the original
½ August 30, 2017
What a very shitty Remake. Don't waste your time seeing this garbage.
August 14, 2017
Took all the fun out of Freddy
½ August 10, 2017
Does Michael Bay have to remake every single classic horror movie out there? His remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) was good enough, I loved The Hills have Eyes remake (2006) and the Friday the 13th one (2009) was alright too, but he really floped his ass on this one. The film is cheesy, extremely predictable and uses burnt out cliches, and makes references to the original in some of the cheesiest ways possible. Although this film does give more details on Freddy Krueger, although he looks better in the original. Overall, it's a pretty weak remake and don't waste your time on it.
August 7, 2017
Terrible boring horror but super cheesy special effects starring some random teens that no-one cares about. I loved the original nightmare on elm street movie, not the sequels but the original was good. I hated this movie, the horrid teen actors were cringe and I'm glad that they stop with rebooting horror movies.
½ August 6, 2017
Jackie Earle Haley ruled this film with an iron fist, though I could have done without the constant jump scares and homages to previous films.
August 1, 2017
A failed attempt to revive one of the most iconic horror characters ever. The movie falls into genre clichés.
August 1, 2017
An insult for the original one.
½ July 26, 2017
I liked this remake. The visuals were cool. And I liked the new freddy. It's nice to see how they give him more background.
July 20, 2017
Everyone says this movie is bad but it is not Jackie earl haily is good as Freddy and he is very scary, the one thing this movie is bad is the jump scares there are way to many and it is very cliche.