A Nightmare on Elm Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Nightmare on Elm Street Reviews

½ October 28, 2016
Hollywood Trash, First off -No Robert Englund.. Horrible make-up Vs any of its predecessors..
½ October 26, 2016
Takes all the creative ideas of the original and turns it into complete garbage. Now it's just a guy with a big claw and jumpscares. The 'twist' is gross and confusing instead of scary. And the cast is so dull that it indeed made me want to take a nap.
October 24, 2016
Wasn't as bad as people said it was. I found it quite gritty, and thought that incorporating new ideas (i.e. micronaps) made it more of it's own film. Haley was very good in his role as the infamous Freddy. he played him very dark and creepy. I found myself genuinely afraid for the teens.
October 23, 2016
I don't know.. entertainer sometimes... but I keeped with the original story... I liked the original Freddy... so creepy
October 22, 2016
Decent storyline but this completely sucked. Don't waste your time with this. Stick to the original.
½ October 21, 2016
Ok, this movie wasn't that bad, it was so much fun to watch, but there were a lot of problems with it. The film is packed full of stupid pointless jumps scares that annoy the heck out of me. They redo a lot of the best scenes from the original, which was stupid. Other than that the movie was fun and the visuals were very, very good.
October 2, 2016
they had one job and fucked it up however freddy is still creepy, thank god they hadn't fucked that up.
September 21, 2016
This film is visually impressive, but mostly, this film lacks every tension and every suspense that the filmmakers want the moviegoers to have. Even though I haven't watched the original film, this is one of the most horrible films in its genre.
½ September 8, 2016
One of the worst movies I have ever had the displeasure of seeing. A classic film was basicly murdered... turned creepy and sick (not in a good way). Waste of time.
September 7, 2016
A mish mash of the first film plus some of the sequels. It has its scary moments and although it's not the real Freddy with absent Robert England, it's a good one for a fresher audience. I'd rather watch the originals however.
August 28, 2016
Although it does have some nice visuals, this remake is no where near as iconic as the original.
August 23, 2016
What happened to ya freddy? You look so bad and the characters are so bland this movie should never been remade.
August 22, 2016
Don't listen... completely to the critics. It's better than any of the 3 of the sequels to Dream Warriors. New Nightmare is certainly more original than this if you want a new take on the series the 1994 film is a good bet an imperfect bet but that's a whole other review.

Back to this film Freddy is Dark again YAY! For people like me who hated seeing Krueger turned into a clown and have his backstory raped (part 6) this is completely refreshing. The thing is yes the SPOILER ALERT child rapist aspect to Freddy's character( that Wes did write Freddy as originally) is completely ramped up. Freddy was fairly creepy in the original film and the 2010 version may focus on that aspect of his character to a fault making what makes him scary to the kids far too specific. The suspense in the movie does suck as there are far too many jump scares in places that don't make sense I blame Platinum Dunes for this.

There were more interesting scenes shot for the movie but it seems like Platinum Dunes took those out but we do get a idea that makes far more sense than Day Dreaming. Micro Naps! Where you sleep for a few seconds (sure it's not enough time for REM sleep but Daydreamers are less likely to get rapid eye movement than micro sleepers) and Freddy shows up somewhere between that making for some interesting sequences but admittedly not enough.

The teens are well acted unfortunately most interesting aspects of their characters seem to have been cut no wonder people hate this movie but I think it's decent.

Ultimately the important information gets shared to the audience. The movie sticks to it's plot and moves toward a goal. For all the film's weaknesses and overbearing call outs it gives us what many of the sequels failed to. That is a Freddy that becomes more terrifying than we have seen in recent Memory.

Sure Wes Craven's New Nightmare has it's share of Dark and sinister moments. In many respects I prefer it's more original direction but this Freddy in comparison is a ruthless evil man. I love that and I missed that for so long. I love how he's tells jokes for his pleasure alone and he doesn't care what the audience thinks of him. No more turning his character into something more child friendly for the sake of ticket sales.

If children should be afraid of Freddy then this is what he should act like. The movie is a murder mystery and an okay one at that. Is Freddy innocent of the crimes or did he do it? Did the children say anything? The reason Wes didn't take the Molester angle in 1984 is because there were real life trails going on and the kids did say anything because the parents told them the kids were raped.

It would be great if we got a directors cut of this movie I think it deserves it.
August 17, 2016
Awful. How can films like this get worse as technology moves on??? Terrible remake the original is alot better and 20 so years older. The scene when he appears in the cupboard "Boo" hahaha. Absolutely pathetic. Watch if your up for a laugh not a scare
July 25, 2016
I saw this movie at midnight when me and my partner are in bed,
You can tell than Rooney Mara Didn't wanna act in this movie.
But It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, Still Boring and Awful but that's because of michael bay and for all that acting!

Score: 3.5/10
½ July 21, 2016
Replacing the witty humor the iconic villain Freddy Krugier used in the original is the unfunny, overly seductive, and intense version. For some reason its storyline is just not right and its cast and crew did a very poor job on this potentially cool film. There is no depth or consistent storytelling in this adaptation which brings the film to a infamous name as one of the worst reboots ever. It gets one and a half for special effects those were pretty good for such a butchered film.
½ July 18, 2016
This was never going to be as good as the originals, Or so I thought, The film tried its best by giving the story a few twists along the way and I thought Freddy looked more realistic and scarier but it was always the horror that would let it down, As we know what's going to happen and when, But as far as remakes go it's one of the better ones.
July 18, 2016
Another classic character Michael Bay is involved in, this film is basically just copying the original just with a different Freddy played not to bad from Jackie-Earl Haley there are some parts where he comes off as not very menacing, only entertaining part for me was the Nightmare sequences, the dialogue and script is pretty boring
½ July 18, 2016
I thought this was a very solid remake. I'd put this remake up there with The Texas Chainsaw Massacare remake. It explains a lot the original didn't while still having that Freddy Krueger flare.
July 15, 2016
The most insulting remake of them all! The second worst horror film ever made and it literally made me want to vomit.