A Nightmare on Elm Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Nightmare on Elm Street Reviews

May 5, 2018
This film is utterly an abomination, it can't lay a candle to any of the unpretentious sequels. You see, the movie just is a cheap replica of the original film, while digging into the child molester part of Fred Krueger far too much. The acting is lazy and uninterested, the score is terrible, and it relies far too much on jumpscares in an attempt to be frightening. The original A Nightmare On Elm Street had a few jumpscares, but they were executed brilliantly. Every shot that is similar to the first one is usually just CGI, missing the innovation and charm of the practical effects. Being a fan of Wes Craven, it is an insult that can't compare in anyway to the most ingenious and brilliant slasher film of all time.
April 4, 2018
Jackie Earl Hayley?s Freddy is the film?s only saving grace as he plays the titular character surprisingly well over the films laughable script, terrible acting and and ultimately boring retelling of the classic horror film by Wes Craven.
½ April 2, 2018
The original is so much better.
March 31, 2018
They completely missed what made Freddy Krueger work to begin with.
½ March 27, 2018
I came into this skeptical - I love the original Elm Street series and I did not feel like it needed a reboot. This was a much darker version than the original, all of the campiness removed. I will give them credit for going in that direction and being brave enough to make Freddy even more of a monster than he was in the original (I won't say more). However, the movie itself is average. The kills don't have the flair they did in the original movies and its just very bland overall. A Hollywood adaptation. It was better than I thought it would be but it is still not a good movie.
January 15, 2018
While truly a pointless remake of a classic the movie has a few scary moments.Mostly loud jumpscares tho..
½ January 12, 2018
One of the weaker remakes and the second worse out of ANoES series
January 4, 2018
A Remake Horribly Gone Wrong !
December 24, 2017
Oh my god! So scary:)
½ December 20, 2017
awful just awful, this director has no idea how to make a movie, they took a classic iconic horror villain and butcher him, this is one of the worst remakes ever, nothing like the original, freddy is child murder not child molester, the intro was the only good thing about this remake, but after the title showed it went bad to worst to just a garbage mess of a film
December 4, 2017
this is an amazing movie i dont see why its rated so low.
November 27, 2017
Why did the filmmakers add a backstory to Kruger? He didn?t need drawn out flashbacks humanizing him. And even what they added to his story was so poorly written it just made him silly. Not to mention the awful dialogue, contrived script, bland characters and horrendous CGI.
November 5, 2017
Well at least they explain how Freddy came about. It was ok not that scary but storyline was not bad
½ November 1, 2017
It's pretty well made and well acted, but A Nightmare on Elm Street suffers mainly from the fact that it is a remake of one of the best horror movies of all time and, frankly, it can't compare to the original. Rooney Mara and Jackie Earle Haley both give decent performances, but sadly they are overshadowed by the original's Heather Langenkamp and Robert Englund respectively. The film lacks many of the clever twists of the original, and the increased gore isn't enough to compensate for that. The changes to and expansion on Freddy Krueger's aren't entirely unwelcome, but they're also proof that the runtime needed padding. Overall, this just a really boring horror movie that's not worth watching.
½ October 30, 2017
The new Freddy didn't embarrass himself in the role, but the writers sure are left with egg on their faces! This movie had potential, but it didn't quite reach the levels of development needed to make it something more than just a cheap knock off.
October 29, 2017
This is a nightmare! The scares are repetitive, the characters are dull, and it's boring as hell.
½ October 25, 2017
NO! JUST NO! THIS IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE! IF YOU LIKE THIS YOU ARE NOT HUMAN!
October 14, 2017
Halloween, Friday the 13th, and now A Nightmare on Elm Street. I don't think this movie was as bad as what critics said but they were right about how badly it lives up to the first movie. The characters were pretty weak and didn't really have any depth, I mean sure this is a slasher flick but still, I had no emotions for the characters. If they died I wouldn't really care. I did think the cast was ok though. The new Freddy was pretty good but he is no Robert Englund. He didn't really have any good lines but other than that I think he did a good job. The CGI was also really good in this movie but that is one of the problems. The CGI is overused. They used CGI way too much. One of the biggest problems with this movie is the amount of jumpscares. After the first 3 jumpscares I was pretty much done. It wasn't scary anymore. There was one scene in the end that built up on suspense but it still wasn't very scary. Overall this was a decent remake. It's no where near as good as the original but I don't think this movie is complete trash. There is some enjoyment to be found in this movie but just not enough. C+
September 12, 2017
I liked it. Good retelling compared to Friday the thirteenth.