A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child Reviews

½ November 10, 2016
31 Days of Horror 2016 #16
½ October 16, 2016
To me, ANOES5:The Dream Child is not a bad movie but it disappoints overall. The whole child/kid idea is not a bad one but the way it was done didn't impress me. And the scene where Freddy is defeated is pretty lame. Meh...Average movie with some good parts. 5/10 OR 2.5/5
½ October 10, 2016
"A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child is directed by Stephen Hopkins and continues the story of Alice as she is graduating high school and weird things begin to happen as she learns she is pregnant. So coming off of "The Dream Master", I'm not sure whether my expectations were just set really low but I came out of this film actually not minding it, don't get me wrong, this is still a bad film, just not as horrible as the last film. Maybe it was due to the supporting cast actually being likeable or the kills extra memorable this time around, I'm not sure. The story is still dumb as usual with Alice finding out she is pregnant and Freddy using the unborn fetus as a way to be rebirth again, this film also delves into the lore of Freddy set up in "Dream Warriors" with Amanda Krueger playing a key role in defeating Freddy. And overall that really hinders the finale to this film as it gets so caught up with its lore that it becomes quite confusing and just stupid. Apart from the story and the overall ridiculousness of some scenes/dialogue I did enjoy some aspects of the film, as I was saying the characters were actually pretty likeable my only wish is if these were characters carried over from "The Dream Master" as then as the audience we would have been able to feel more when some of them die and really buy into their dynamic/friendship. It also would have excluded the scenes where one friend doesn't believe Alice about Freddy returning as unless these group of people all coincidentally didn't go to Springwood High during the events of "The Dream Master" then there should be no reason for them not remembering that their friend Alice went through some shit. It's just problems like that that really hold this movie back from at least being good, but where the meat and potatoes come from in this movie are the death scenes and boy are they good, probably some of the most memorable in this series next to "Dream Warriors". Those were the only parts I could remember about this film before re-watching it, (I don't mean to spoil) theres the ghost rider death, chick getting stuffed and by far my favourite, the comic book death which is just so great. It's a shame how muddled this film gets with its story, that I feel holds the movie back from being one of the best in the franchise, its a definite step up from the last film but I don't see myself re-watching this one all too much and thats due to the story. I don't know how much I can recommend this film outside of its goofiness and kills but if you're into that and want a good time then have at'er, "A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child" gets a 5/10.
September 7, 2016
Ick! Not scary and just awful, just as bad as the first sequel. It had potential but was way too out there.
September 1, 2016
Honestly, one of the more inventive entries to the series. Taken as pure cheese, there's so much fun to be had here.
½ August 23, 2016
Not as good as the other movies but the plot and the nightmares are one of the best in the series.
½ August 18, 2016
Upon watching this movie again I appreciate more about it it absolutely has its issues but ignoring the problems the last entry had, this has an interesting concept and the story does bring it full circle.

Characters: I hated the Mark character originally now I don't find him nearly as bad. I don't know what changed this time around but when ever he spoke originally I cringed and now I don't.

I always liked Yvonne, I assume she's new in town for one and I felt we needed a character that doesn't believe Alice because that adds some tid bit of reality.

Gretta I'm on the fence because the way she and her mother speaks is still cringe worthy. The subtext that she could like Mark isn't a bad thing though. Also the fact that she has an overbearing mother that forces her to model is kindof interesting and plays out relatively well later.

Alice as a character still has a few issues, she still tells her friends who wouldn't be in this situation had she not told them about Freddy and her friends suffer for it. However most other things are actually pretty good about her.

Alice is SPOILER ALERT pregnant and Freddy is using the baby's dreams. (Not sure how he can understand the information that he does, but he does.) This is used as a comparison to the Amanda Krueger story that was introduced in part 3. (Part 3 is really good I recommend it)

In part 4 Freddy kind of becomes a part of her in this she SPOILER ALERT is able to exercise him out with the help of Amanda and her son.

If you liked part 4 this is a decent completion to that story.

Other than certain things not making sense the tone felt like it was fighting itself. Is this supposed to be scary or funny? I have no clue. There are moments where Freddy looks good on the Blu Ray but mostly straight up awful on the DVD. Freddy still tells to many jokes and acts over the top silly in this entry. Sure it's tame compared to Freddy's Dead but it still doesn't excuse it.

For what it is it's pretty good but as a fan of this series I prefer a more scary Freddy and I want to be convinced of the reality of it like the first 3 movies did (though 2 can be debated on if it convinces you about the reality). I don't count parts 4 5 and 6 in my personal canon and see them as only movies.

All in all I understand what the film was going for but I don't think it succeeded in it and after an entry like 3 I just can't deal with the quality of things moving away from scares and a sense of reality that there just isn't enough of for me personally. I'd give it a higher score if it made more sense and was going for scares.
½ July 25, 2016
A sequel too silly to be taken seriously.
July 18, 2016
By this point in the series we are all bored of the same routine that's why I like this movie inparticular because it gave something new to the series. Instead of chasing after teenage kids Freddy chased after one of their children (hence the name "The Dream child").
July 18, 2016
A complete and utter failure of a movie with laughable "acting", a rushed production, confusing story, and toned-down violence. The studio gave the director only 4 weeks of principal photography and then another 4 weeks to edit and it shows; nearly all of the performances miss the mark and the story just makes crap up as it goes along. The set-up for how Freddy is terrorizing the kids is neat, latching onto the dreams of Alice's unborn baby, but once that's introduced, it's the same old crap with Freddy haunting the character's dreams and procrastinating killing them to an unbearable degree. For some reason the kills were edited to not be as graphic, which never makes any sense to do in a SLASHER, and thus there is no memorable violence or even much blood. Alice is a really dull character on her own and the characters around her, particularly Mark, are horrendous actors and make all of their dialogue scenes excruciating to watch. Robert Englund still does his thing and he's once again the best part to watch, but this whole baby Freddy wanting to be reborn into the real world
July 15, 2016
My least favorite of the original "7" Nightmare films but is still very entertaining and has one of my favorite death scenes in the entire series.
½ July 11, 2016
Nightmare on elm street 5 is a step above part 4 but still lacks what made the first 3 film scary. If you want to see a pointless slasher film with The Gloved Man you might like this film but as I stated in my review for Nightmare 4 if you want to see a good film with Freddy than watch New Nightmare.
½ July 9, 2016
The Dream Child is more creative than the last installment, but is far less entertaining. Freddy drops a one-liner every chance he gets. This movie feels like a bad comedy, instead of a horror movie. Overall, a pretty bad sequel.
July 7, 2016
July 6, 2016
Surprisingly, this is my favorite out of the numbered sequels so far. I liked the story and the pacing was very well done. There were also some great practical effects.
jamrcla
½ May 20, 2016
Very poor fifth part as nothing is new, Scary or done well, The plot yet again just got too silly to take seriously, The acting was very bad, Even Robert Englund as Freddy was just poor and underused, The series Should of Finished After Part 4 and now it's just turned into a joke.
May 8, 2016
Plenty of style but no substance
April 14, 2016
I prefer it to Dream Child because I actually like the story and characters. The deaths are cool (even though Freddy's puns never stop) and besides the makeup the effects are pretty cool.
½ April 8, 2016
Mucho mejor y más creativa que la 2da película. Pero inferior a la 1ra película.
March 27, 2016
For me Elm Street is at its richest when it furthers the mythos of Freddy. 5 expands on what was implied in 3, offering a different tone for the whole movie. The writing style and choices are not as tight as for 3 and 4 but its assembled with ease and still better than the average horror series, just not as outstanding anymore. Some dialogues and interactions are awkward yet every character has a distinct flavor; no one is a waste of time and every death counts. This makes Elm Street special among so many series.