Nightmares - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nightmares Reviews

½ May 31, 2016
It's just an okay horror anthology. The first and third segments are pretty cool, but it's, for the most part, a weak rehash of a bunch of other movies.
½ February 29, 2016
I love horror anthologies. I hunt down as many as I can get my hands on. I searched EXTRA hard for this one, because it sounded like a good time. I was half right. 2 stars go to the super scary first segment (in which a suburban housewife takes a late night trip to the store for cigarettes when a homicidal maniac is on the loose) and a half a star to an incredible special effect in the third segment (a truck emerging from the mouth of hell in a story about a lapsed priest who encounters the truck from hell.) The first has great tension that mounts and mounts until the shocking (if you've never heard the old urban legend) finale. And the third-that special effect is singlehandedly better than anything in "The Car." The second and fourth stories are brought down by hilariously outdated special effects. There's a veritable who's who of actors and actresses, past and future stars, to bring the stories to life. But overall this one was only about half good. 2 and 1/2 stars seems fair.
½ January 2, 2016
I remember liking 2-3 of the stories as a kid. Alas, only the 1st story holds up.
½ May 23, 2015
Bad acting and unintended comedy fill this stupid horror movie. It took itself way too seriously and it did not provide very many thrills. Overall very poorly made. 1.5 out of 5 stars.
March 30, 2015
When I was a kid the story about the giant rat really did give me nightmares.
½ December 13, 2014
It's sports a talented cast but unfortunately everyone's off. The stories are average and the nightmares are acceptable. The best story was "Bishop of Battle", which was video game themed and had Emilio Estevez. Overall its an average piece of horror and can be worth the watch, but there are better alternatives.
November 3, 2014
Four spine-chilling stories in the Creepshow tradition. Arcade whiz Emilio Estevez' quest to reach the elusive level 13 in 'Battle of the Bishop' segment really should have been extended to feature length. A real sleeper of 1983.
½ June 12, 2014
A decent but slightly uneven (and a tad derivative) anthology of scary tales. What makes it worthwhile are the middle stories. Chapter two is the Bishop of Battle with Emilio Estevez,.a cautionary tale of excess centering around a video game arcade. Chapter three stars Lance Henriksen as a disillusioned priest literally playing chicken with the devil. The first and last vignettes are probably the weakest. In fact, the final story feels very out of place with the rest. Surprisingly hard to get your hands on a copy, if you can do so, it's entertaining, completely 80's, popcorn horror.
January 1, 2014
Very lackluster anthology of horror stories. The acting is decent and the music is awesome, but the stories just aren't that compelling.
May 17, 2013
Two entertaining stories, two flops.
TheDudeLebowski65
February 25, 2013
Nightmares is a well constructed anthology horror film that is very well acted and directed by Joseph Sargent. The stories are pretty entertaining and are fairly creepy in their tone and atmosphere. This is a far different anthology than Creepshow and it works well enough to keep the horror viewer entertained throughout due to its very good stories and immaculate directing. Some stories are a bit too short, and I think that the second one in particular could have been longer as I felt; there was a lot to offer. However despite this, this is a good film that ranks up there among the best horror anthologies. Like I said, this could have been a better movie, and it had the potential of being a memorable feature, but it offers only good entertainment that had plenty of potential to overcome its weaknesses. The stories are good, but there are things that could have been improved upon. However for what it is, this is a worthwhile anthology that is better than say Tales from the Darkside: The Movie, and follows the string of anthology films that has graced the genre of the 1980's. Of course Creepshow is a far better film, but Nightmares still gives you a great time for its hour and a half runtime despite its slightly underdeveloped ideas. You can just imagine how good this one could have been if the script would have been rewritten a few times. This is a film worth seeing for what it is, and it does manage to be quite good even if it is not memorable in the long run.
½ January 10, 2013
Four horror tales to fright and delight you--A nifty 80's horror anthology outing; For those not afraid of the 80's!!
October 27, 2012
Three average short stories and one great one featuring Emilio Estevez as JJ Cooney, a teen bent on getting to level 13 of the Bishop of Battle arcade game. Rumours say a guy from Jersey made it there twice. Classic 80's material.
October 25, 2012
I had difficulty finishing this film. The POV shot were annoying, and all the kills were predictable.
June 13, 2012
The giant rat scared the .... out of me!
April 5, 2012
looking at the pictures, this seems sorta random
February 22, 2012
The acting is so cheesy and terrible that you'll laugh the whole through it.
August 20, 2011
looking at the pictures, this seems sorta random
½ April 23, 2011
By the time you get to the roar of the demon right you'll be squeaking for more! Nightmares! More like quality filmmakingmares!
January 14, 2011
I saw most of this on TV one day a long time ago, I got to see the great part with Emilio Estevez and the video arcade! It was so cool, but I want to see the rest of the movie!