Nightmares in Red, White and Blue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nightmares in Red, White and Blue Reviews

February 6, 2016
A very interesting and somewhat disturbing view of the evolution of horror movies, what is stands for, and why people continue to like them.
½ December 17, 2015
A relatively informative doc that discusses the birth and evolution of American horror movies in a generally entertaining way, but the problem is that a lot of it is tackled only superficially and the movie gets muddled when it enters the 1990s and talks about modern films and remakes.
August 31, 2015
This was very interesting and a good crash course in the genre.
½ August 20, 2015
A thorough look at the evolution of American horror through the decades.
May 3, 2015
Best horror documentary I've ever seen about horror through the decades. I highly recommend this to any fan of horror.
April 22, 2015
A fairly interesting look at the cultural events which shaped the changing subject matter of our favorite horror films. Covered most of the major films, directors and stars. A good introduction to the genre. where was john landis and american werewolf in london though?
½ March 23, 2015
The examination of the horror genre provides a bunch of interesting points and clarity to the intended, analyzed meaning behind the methods of playing fear, but even though it's still a good documentary, it can't escape from the unappealing/disturbing, poisonous gores (from presented clips of various flicks) lowering down the film's level. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ February 24, 2015
Solid horror retrospective.
½ November 8, 2014
Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue is a mediocre horror documentary that unfortunately puts politics ahead of its subject material. The film follows the development of horror cinema from Edison's first adaptation of Frankenstein to the Saw series. While the changes in the genre are covered fairly well, little attention is given to the particular artists and films that were the innovators and precipitators. Additionally, the filmmakers take a staunchly liberal perspective on American culture, which (while some horror directors likely share) lacks objectivity. And the film fails to consider other factors, besides culture, in what shaped the horror genre. It's this single mindedness in Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue that makes it feel shallow and propagandistic.
½ October 15, 2014
Worth watching if you're a fan of horror films
July 16, 2014
One of the best horror docs ever made!
½ July 11, 2014
The documentary manages to present some very interesting opininions regarding the evolution of american horror, and while I did think it lacked a bit of comparison regarding the objectives of cinema as a whole, it does present some very interesting takes on what the horror movies try to express through time and how they evolved as audiences evolved.
June 4, 2014
An enjoyable documentary on Horror Films in America throughout the history of film. This documentary offers a beautiful rundown of classic horror films familiar and unfamiliar. My only complaint is that it got a bit too political for my taste and was very obvious about it.

Overall it is an interesting documentary about America's love of the horror genre.
June 3, 2014
Just makes me want to watch a lot of these horror movies that I have not seen before. Good info, moves quick. Not insanely interesting though.
June 2, 2014
Must see for horror fans.
March 25, 2014
There are far better horror movie documentaries than this like "The American Nightmare".
January 26, 2014
The documentary made me like horror movies. I highly recommend it.
January 15, 2014
I'm not a huge fan of documentaries but this was really interesting since I'm taking a horror film class