Nim's Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nim's Island Reviews

June 11, 2014
I saw a little bit of this movie on television a few years before and was disappointed by it. I couldn't keep my eyes on it and so, I ignored it. My experience of the movie back then was that it wasn't what I expected.

In the beginning, it has Nim narrating the story. Nim is a spirited little girl who inhabits an isolated island with her father, who's a scientist and communicates with a reclusive author of the novel she's reading. So the plot wasn't great neither.

This film is a tad too annoying, too funny, too fun, too suspenseful/serious, and fascinating. The music was too dramatic which was of course due to the film. The actors, compared to the poster were a pretty bad pick, though they all did well. I give it a 6.1.
May 29, 2014
LINDA PELICULA HERMOSO GUION
½ May 24, 2014
Gerard Butler - never knowingly palatable.. Move is so so, does nowhere in no great hurry but doesn't overly suffer for it, Butler free it could have been average
April 9, 2014
think this is 2.5 or 3 stars but want to see again.
March 17, 2014
I have heard this movie described as Indiana Jones for girls. I would just like to say 'No Way!'. After saying that I feel better. It was not a bad movie, just a little too kid friendly with a sappy, happy ending. Gerard Butler was in it so that was all the encouragement I needed to watch it.
March 10, 2014
For some reason I fell in love with this movie as a kid.
½ March 8, 2014
Nim's Island is engaging for the most part, and the story isn't half bad. The execution is about right, and the movie almost lives up to its full potential.
½ February 24, 2014
good family action adventure yarn
½ February 1, 2014
I think this is a really good movie. It's sweet and cool and i'm a kid and kids don't usually say stuff like that.
½ January 27, 2014
It has an implausible plot and it's really boring.
½ January 6, 2014
Jodi Foster plays an agoraphobic writer and she battles out of her home to help a girl living on a desert island. She is actually hilarious and plays the part well. Its a great story and entertaining film.
December 22, 2013
While it doesn't stand its ground when viewed as anything other than a movie for kids, it's still an okay movie for kids. It's not one of the rare gems that the whole family will likely enjoy but the genre could, and has, done a lot worse.

I feel that it's only fair to take into consideration a film's target audience when judging it and this is most important with regards to children's films. Indeed, the true greats from The Wizard of Oz to Toy Story hold up in anyone's eyes but most films in this genre aren't so lucky.

Bearing this in mind, I think that Nim's Island pretty much achieves what it sets out to do- it's an enjoyable kid's film with an interesting idea here or there to make it all feel like less of a mission for the older members of the audience.

While it does retain much of the downsides from other films of the genre- simplistic characters, nonsense storylines, etc., it also has a nice feel to it and a story with enough going on that one could become emotionally invested in it- certainly younger viewers anyway.

It's a good looking film (unnecessary CGI aside) and the acting is fine (though no one is at their best with Breslin seeming to come out on top) but it's the story that makes this one work. It's predictable and far from complex but I think it may have some interesting elements from the eyes of a child.

Connecting with fantasy for example is a theme that is covered well here from various angles and the use of Butler's Alex Rover as a character that both of the heroines imagine in their own way, is pretty well-done and certainly would have kept me engaged as a kid. It also covers emotions without feeling overly-manipulative (again- for a kid's film anyway). It also succeeds in having a storyline told from the perspective of an adult at the forefront as well as one with a child which is important because too many kid's films are told solely from a kid's perspective or adult character's and dumbed down to the point that they may as well not be in there. Foster's Alex Rover and her battle with agoraphobia makes for a good adult-based element to the film. Sure, it wouldn't hold up outside of the context and it's still simplistic and humour-based but kids are still gonna like it more than if Rover's thoughts were just extensions of Nim's. Here we get that through Nim's expectations but we also get into Rover's head through her own self-doubt and it flows.

Most kid's aren't likely to question how silly the film is or how basic its elements are- they are surely gonna look for something relatable, interesting, exciting and memorable and I think this film offers that. The adults probably won't fancy watching it on DVD wit them very often though...
½ September 22, 2013
this was and is a piece of shit
½ September 11, 2013
It's sweet and humorous in a childish way, but all of us have a little childhood in us somewhere.
September 4, 2013
If I loved animals and Abigail Breslin this would be it for me. Otherwise, Jodie Foster was the only thing this had going for me, but her part was minimal. That's life, I guess.
½ September 3, 2013
This movie is like cast away with stupid CGI animals
September 1, 2013
Light hearted children's story about a child and father that live on an Island ,and a Writer of adventure stories who is agoraphobic end up all involved as the story takes various twists and turns, but holds a happy ending,Jodie Foster is great
August 30, 2013
This one will probably entertain the children, yet seem a bit too childish for most adult audiences. Nevertheless it is an OK movie to watch with the family.
August 10, 2013
Why do I bother to watch these types of movies again?