Nina's Heavenly Delights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nina's Heavenly Delights Reviews

½ November 15, 2014
However cheesy this film may be, it's great to see a story line that separates it's self from the typically 'gritty plot' often expected for stories about queer Asian women. Realistic, heart-warming, and somewhat comical; 'Nina's Heavenly Delights' is defiantly a film recommended queer kids looking for a nice slice of representation.
½ March 11, 2013
Really enjoyed this movie. Good story line and easy to follow. Not one for the DVD collection perhaps, but it's a much better lesbian movie than "I Can't Think Straight" was. (previously reviewed)
½ October 28, 2012
Good fun. Weejies rule, Bollywood comes to Scotland with lots of worthy sentiment. Gay and interracial romance, and funny too. Lots of good parent-child grief too. On the other hand it's contrived and a weee bit drippy.
½ June 30, 2012
Top film but cheesy in parts but I really liked the story and the actors where great.
April 22, 2012
amateurish and rather corny, pushed all the cliched buttons. well at least the movie was salvaged by an at least pleasant 'Nina'.
½ April 20, 2011
Very cute romantic movie that has both Bollywood drag and Scottish charm.
April 10, 2011
Very cute movie :).. Damn it made my hungry for Indian food
April 2, 2011
One of the few lesbian themed films on my list. The "Bollywood drag queen" mentioned in the review caught my attention.
November 26, 2010
I really loved Pratibha Parmar's work on "Nina's Heavenly Delights" and that's the reason I am so pissed off that there is rarely a chance for the character of a dyke to be realistically portrayed - or at least, believably enough for the gay audience to give it a pass. Laura Fraser is cute, but why on earth can't we see a real dyke playing a dyke on screen? Are they so hard to find? That's alI I have to say on this. "Politiki Kouzina" for lesbians!
April 18, 2010
This is a wonderful, sweet movie. Of course, being a British girl, the fact that it is is set in Glasgow may have tainted my judgment, along with it being a movie about British Asian culture and Indian food, all of which I adore. Hearing the Scottish Asian accents is just so evocative of home, the bangra/western pop mix in the soundtrack - the Nolan Sisters never sounded so good! - along with the snippets of Asian influence and culture. OK, I'm officially a sucker for British romantic comedies, and, apparently, for British Asian movies. As for the movie itself: as others have commented, it is not a gritty or terribly deep movie. No new ground covered here, just a sweet lesbian romance. And it is sweet - the chemistry (and not just in reference to the cooking) is genuine, all the characters are real. Despite one reviewer's comments about the highland dancing sister, an inter-racially wed brother and the mother who urged her daughter to go get her girlfriend, from my own experience, none of this is atypical in Britain. There is much wider acceptance of unconventional lifestyles, inter-racial marriage is not at all uncommon, and the amount of assimilation of the third and fourth generation British Asians is pronounced. British Asians are every bit as British as I am, and are every bit as much a part of the community as I was. This is very definitely a feel good movie, despite the heartbreak that Nina and her family have to face at the beginning of the movie. There is nothing that I didn't like about this movie: quite the reverse, I loved everything about it, it is wonderful.
February 21, 2010
Ohhh, this was one of the most romantically movies I've ever seen in ma life!
The both actresses blended well together.
The story around indian cooking and same-sex love is felicitous.
½ November 22, 2009
Perfectly harmless light entertainment - the traditional story "can we put on a show and win the competition" this time with the setting of a Glasgow asian family and a curry competition, with some family secrets, a little music and dancing (not enough) and some romance.
½ October 22, 2009
Cute movie that makes you feel all fuzzy and warm inside. :-)
October 9, 2009
This scenario had such potential, but unfortunately what's resulted is a corny, sentimental mess, shot and lit like an episode of a British soap and written in the style of the most cliched and predictable Hollywood romantic comedy. Speaking of which, the romance which should have comprised the backbone to the narrative is clumsily handled, an unfortunate theme to a prudish film. The actors do their best, and they are both intensely lovely, but there is very little chemistry between the two, making most of their affection behaviour seem clumsy and uncomfortable. I wanted to like this, I really did, but it just doesn't work. The accents, however, are fabulous.
May 30, 2009
Took a while for the film to get going, but on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed it. The character 'Bobbi' had me in stitches. A great stay-at-home film.
May 21, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie...i think that art malik, francisco bosch, kulvinder ghir, shelley conn, raji james, laura fraser, veena sood play good roles/parts throughout this movie...i think that the director of this comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie its a good comedy movie 2 watch...its really well filmed n its got a hint of bollywood throughout this movie n its really enjoyable 2 watch
May 21, 2009
Interesting little romantic movie...seemed liked the writer wanted to break all possible social taboo's in one go..fair watch on TV
May 20, 2009
Sadly this film takes some good characters and issues and sticks them in a formulaic and predictable plot. It smacks of lost opportunity.
March 26, 2009
Imagine a Gay, Bollywood After-school special and you are imagining this movie. Yes, it has every trite cliché in the book, but then so did "Bend It Like Beckham" and that was good.

Just let yourself enjoy the fable-like substance if this feel good-er and whatever you do, do not watch it on an empty stomach or you will find yourself ordering in too much Indian food!