Ninja Scroll Reviews

• Dec 27, 2019

It delivers so much in first few minutes, that it just sets a standard that is too high for it's own good, no matter how good the rest of the movie and it's action scenes are, it never tops it's first few minutes, I wouldn't say it overcooks it but it exhausts the action in first minutes as such that you feel nothing for the rest of the movie and at the end, no matter how good and good looking they are.

• Jul 06, 2019

An iconic anime that I am glad that I finally got to watching. Ninja Scroll is one of those films that does have a plot. And while it goes by fast and most likely is better understood with multiple viewings I'll try and keep it simple. Set in the past the film is about the Yamashiro clan that are secretly mining gold and sending it to the Shogun of the Dark (who is sending them protection). The Shogun is collecting the gold so that he can overthrow the current government and rule over Japan. One day a boat carrying the gold runs aground into the Mochizuki territory (a neighboring clan). In order for them to keep this secret the Shogun sends the Eight Devils of Kimon (his sort of personal mercenary group) to kill the villagers in the Mochizuki village. So, the Mochizuki clan sends in their own group of ninjas to investigate why the villagers all died (rumors spread it's a plague). But unfortunately this group of ninja's are killed by the Devils. Only one person survives a young ninja named Kagero (Emi Shinohara) who is taken captive. Fortunately, for her a traveling mercenary named Jubei Kibagami (Koichi Yamadera) and saves her. Jubei is soon after blackmailed by a government agent named Dakuan (Takeshi Aono) to work with him to defeat the remaining Devils. And that's basically the story in the most simplistic way I can say. Jubei has history with the leader of the Devils and for the most part it works. The anime is very violent and has some pretty intense adult moments. It's definitely not a movie for the younger viewers, but I enjoyed this one a lot. It has some very cool action sequences and while it's aged a bit I found myself really enjoying the animation. The film works and as one of the films that popularized anime in North America this is a must watch for fans of anime!

• May 16, 2019

Brutal, controversial, and blood-drenching beautiful, is a high-echelon piece that must be watched, if your suspension of disbelief can transcend the political correctness that plagues the industry nowadays.

• Apr 07, 2019

With enough gory sword fights and grotesque monsters here to last an entire season of television, but nary enough coherent narrative or compelling characterization for a whole movie, this is practically the Platonic ideal of a teenage boy's anime fever-dream, filled to the brim with bloodshed, brutality, and boobs.

• Mar 16, 2019

One of those classic anime films of all time.

One of those classic anime films of all time.

• Jul 01, 2018

Fantastic everything and watchable for all time. b-panther the quickening the movie is dirt that wont be noticed meanwhile, Dont even stream it for free, You wont get rid of the memories.

• Jun 24, 2018

Outstanding, simply outstanding. Gorgeously animated with an entertaining, no-messing-about story that has fantastically kinetic action sequences, an array of memorable and unique characters, and even a hint of a touching side to it, 'Ninja Scroll' has everything you could possibly want from a film of the genre. What the rather simple 'good-guys vs bad-guys' plot lacks in intelligence, it more than makes up for with the relentless pace and wonderfully crafted atmosphere that leaves you little time to dwell on it. Dark, gory and riveting, 'Ninja Scroll' is easily up there with the best that old-school anime has to offer, although it may be a bit over-the-top and crude for some.

• May 13, 2018

Jubei Ninpucho is cleverly structured and although it is not an inherently complex narrative, it features a very thoughtful approach for presenting vital background information. Together with the mostly great animation, this makes for a thrilling viewing for anime fans and fans of (Japanese) action movies. There are some minor drawbacks, like characters that could be more fleshed out and the uneven animation quality - however, the movie succeeds in telling the story it wants to tell and uses very creative visual effects for telling a mature story. Overall 7/10 My Review: https://movie-discourse.blogspot.de/2018/05/jubei-ninpucho-jap-1993.html?view=flipcard Twitter: Max4Movies

• Jul 04, 2017

Beautiful animation, but nothing else.

Beautiful animation, but nothing else.

• Mar 12, 2017

I dig this movie. I am looking to watch it again with my boys that's how hot this movie is.