The Ninth Configuration (Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ninth Configuration (Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane) Reviews

½ June 20, 2017
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, an interesting examination of faith that's so overstuffed it can't help but explode.
May 21, 2017
Being disappointed by "The Exorcist III", I was wary to watch this one, but am happy to be mistaken. "The Ninth Configuration" is clever, beautiful and emotionally engaging. It's like a surrealistic brother of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Of course, it may be argued that Blatty's not as skilled as Forman, but his directorial is very strong and assured. The movie's too good to complain -- I go along with subjectivity and give it the 10\10. A must see if only for the beautiful location -- that castle there is just breathtaking. Too bad Blatty's made only 2 movies, I'd definitely like to see more.
PS: it was fun to see Blatty himself on the screen. It appears I remember his face very well :)
March 14, 2017
Maybe dated but not my kind of film
½ September 26, 2015
It is a suspenseful film which mentioned "the absence of god".
½ June 16, 2015
Very well acted film tends to move at a slow pace and shifts tone in the second act. Stacey Keach delivers the best performance, a very controlled and calculated one.
May 15, 2015
A film for the more intelligent film-goer. The acting of Scott Wilson is as good as any I have ever seen. The film is full of metaphors and imagery with a touch of tongue in cheek. The fight seen is spectacular without being gruesome. And the miracle is believable. 10 out of 10.
April 9, 2015
Keach is good but it's an overstuffed grinder of a movie....less would have been more.
November 24, 2014
a surprising film that will reward your patience if you can get through the intentionally frazzling first act
November 9, 2014
***Due to the recent RT changes that have basically ruined my past reviews, I mostly only giving a rating rather than a full review.***
October 12, 2014
Darkly funny movie that becomes progressively depressing.
½ October 3, 2014
A remarkable film that grew on me as I watched it. At times I was afraid the attempts at lunacy and madness were aping then-contemporary and successful classics such as M*A*S*H and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I realized over time that the script was genuine, original and not blatantly ripping off those aforementioned classics. Still, it's the only weakness in the film. Blatty is inspired in his direction and makes perfect use of Panavision's 2.40:1 aspect ratio, and the acting, especially Stacy Keach's, is nothing short of astounding. A wonderful ending to answer the age-old question: How can there be a God if such evil exists in the world?--How can there not be if such goodness exists as well? A great film, which makes it very sad, both that it is so unknown and that Blatty hasn't done more writings and directing. The many different versions of the film are very confusing, but I was able to watch the director's cut, which has a nice six-minute discussion on the DVD, plus Blatty's commentary and all the deleted scenes.
September 21, 2013
I really don't understand why this needed to be almost 2 hours. There's about 60 minutes worth of actual material here at best. I think this is alittle overrated and under uses alot of the best character actors of the 70's. The ending and the bar fight scene are worth sticking around for the whole running time though. So if you don't mind a slow burn 2 hour movie then give this a shot.
½ May 1, 2013
I saw this movie years ago when I was a child and it has never left me. I was a firmly entrenched Christianity at the time, but now I am a confirmed Atheist. I believe this movie helped to lay a foundation for my eventual realization that the mystery or God is founded in the need for absolution and comfort rather than any rational concept as Capt Cutshaw comes to realize. I am truly grateful that "Twinkle, Twinkle Killer Kane" (the title I always knew it by) started me on my path.

As to the actual movie, I have seen it several times and remarkably the dialogue and story holds up. The direction could be a little heavy handed at times, and the editing is a jumpy, but well worth a late night watch. Again though, I found it to be metaphysically profound about the age of 12. Don't know that it would be as substantial now. Lastly, Stacy Keach is phenomenal in this role. He has been sidelined in much of his acting career and his talent has been under-appreciated, but in this movie he portrays an impressive blend of perfect blank affect coupled with sociopathic undertones. This is how Hannibal Lector should have been played in "Silence of the Lambs." This movie is worth a watch for the humor alone, but also worth it for the esoteric idealism.
March 15, 2013
One of the most underrated movies of all time. I recommend it to so many people, but because its not the new "MTV" / fast cutting action movies, that are ruining hollywood today, no one wants to see it. oh and i will also add, that alot of younger people today don't want to put in an effort to try and understand the humor. well i had no problem 15 years ago when i was only 15 years old. well, they get to lose out!
March 6, 2013
based on william peter blatty's classic novel. with tom atkins from creepshow.
January 11, 2013
The bar scene is what made this not completely suck for me. The cast is good too but aside from a few good images I wasn't into this.
½ November 13, 2012
Very trippy film. How trippy, you ask? It's directed by William Peter Blatty.
November 7, 2012
Interesting. I gave it a shot, but it's too dense with so little plot. My recommendation: after the first hour the movie picks up. Stick with it.
October 8, 2012
Strange film from William Peter Blatty. A meditation on faith, reason, and sanity. It works best in it's most outlandish moments, but it wastes a good cast (particularly Jason Miller) by dropping most of them for the second half of the film. Still, an unusual and interesting film that more people should see.