The Ninth Configuration (Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ninth Configuration (Twinkle, Twinkle, Killer Kane) Reviews

½ November 13, 2012
Very trippy film. How trippy, you ask? It's directed by William Peter Blatty.
November 7, 2012
Interesting. I gave it a shot, but it's too dense with so little plot. My recommendation: after the first hour the movie picks up. Stick with it.
October 8, 2012
Strange film from William Peter Blatty. A meditation on faith, reason, and sanity. It works best in it's most outlandish moments, but it wastes a good cast (particularly Jason Miller) by dropping most of them for the second half of the film. Still, an unusual and interesting film that more people should see.
½ October 2, 2012
i cant say with confidence my review is accurate because i don't fully understand this film
August 27, 2012
30 years before the disappointing Shutter Island took viewers to a remote mental asylum with a world-turned-upside-down storyline, William Peter Blatty gave us this supremely fucked-up account of a Marine Corp Colonel (played rather brilliantly by the passive Stacy Keach) that is assigned to take over an asylum housing insane soldiers. Col. Kane is especially tuned to the story of a USMC Captain that went nuts right before NASA was supposed to send him to the moon. Throughout all this, Kane recounts how his brother was a sadistic mass-murderer in Vietnam and the backstory only comes to him (and us) in dreams. If you've seen Shutter Island, then you know where this one is going. After halfway through this movie, I hypothesized that this movie was either too fucking brilliant to be understood or too simple to enjoy. Towards the end, I knew it was the former one. VERY quotable, but not for everyone. My wife hated it. I loved it.
July 1, 2012
An unconventional movie that doesn't quite fit into genre definitions. It starts off as a hilarious satire, but changes tone in last third and becomes something entirely different.
½ February 27, 2012
Uneven, but featuring many fun scenes. As it gets more serious I thought it occasionally dabbled into slightly pretentious territory, but it works more often than not, and is certainly interesting. I wish William Peter Blatty made more films.
½ January 19, 2012
How did this get under my radar and stay there for so long? A thought provoking and brain-tickling examination of faith and humanity wrapped in a bizarre mix of comedy and tragedy. Wow.
½ December 11, 2011
Bizarro film set in a remote castle where the patients of a mental hospital receive unorthodox care from a man on the verge of losing it himself. Interesting visuals and philosophical questions abound, making this one well worth tracking down.

Give it a rental.
October 20, 2011
On second viewing, this film may creep into my top 20 films list from now on.
September 25, 2011
I'm thinking that Blatty could easily sue both Martin Scorsese and Dennis Lehane for stealing his entire plot.
½ September 10, 2011
An extremely odd and eclectic film, deserving of a much better dvd transfer. It's almost impossible to describe. Ultimately, it's a theological exercise but the viewing experience is rather befuddling.
September 3, 2011
It's the best film you've never seen.
August 22, 2011
The bar scene is what made this not completely suck for me. The cast is good too but aside from a few good images I wasn't into this.
June 3, 2011
A totally unclassifiable film, one that defies any attempt to place it into a tidy genre box: it's part screwball comedy, part mystery, part religious dissertation. While the final product is a bit too strange and offbeat to really achieve the sort of resonance it seems to be trying for, it does contain some truly phenomenal dialogue, and writer/director Blatty draws out terrific performances from the likes of Keach, Wilson, and Flanders.
½ May 2, 2011
A Marx Brothers movie, with theology.
April 14, 2011
This movie, more than anything else, is a psychological portrait. It is a disturbing illustration of the forced loss of humanity, and one man's desperately seeking to regain his humanity. I strongly recommend it.
½ February 26, 2011
Oh what fun we have realizing we are all mentally ill, perverse and part of the overall wealth of mankind.
½ January 15, 2011
Went out of the theater freaked out when I first saw this in NM and would like to see it again.
January 4, 2011
What a strange, strange movie...