The Ninth Day (Der neunte Tag) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ninth Day (Der neunte Tag) Reviews

½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
March 8, 2008
I was amazed how much the actor was able to convey just with his face. That alone was worth watching. This is such a great film in so many levels, this could get way too long.
½ February 23, 2008
Good for a lazy Sunday afternoon sort
½ January 15, 2008
watched this film in CU's german film festival...like other stories about concentration camps, it reveals the brutality of humans, and a man's struggle between conscience and death. reminds me a lot of my visit to Dachau
December 30, 2007
It is about the brutality of Dachau, but also the cost of morality.
½ November 30, 2007
This didn't need to be a movie. I'm sure the book is good, but the movie takes no advantage of the medium.
November 11, 2007
A great movie starring the man that, ironicaly, played Goebbels in The Downfall. A must see.
November 5, 2007
Catholic Priest, in concentration camp for work with resistance movements, is released for 9 days. Multiple mind-fucks ensue. Absolutely grueling...I watched it a second time immediately after the first.
October 26, 2007
I never understand war but I do understand the ugliness of it and this movie whether it's the truth or not, depicted just that. If you want to get depressed, watch this.
½ October 13, 2007
An excellent movie. Based on a true story and book, a priest's faith is challenged by the Gestapo as he is asked to act as Judas did. However, the cover art on this film is awful. When I first saw it I thought it was a vampire film.
½ September 21, 2007
Overall a good film.
½ September 21, 2007
great film about temptation and true inner freedom.
September 5, 2007
Camps de concentration et abominables tortures infligées par les nazis Ce métrage commence en force : 10 minutes de violence intense, la caméra est agitée, on est mal à l'aise, et puis, c'est l'attente... que va-t-il se passer? Mélange de drame, de guerre, de violence, "le neuvième jour" range Volker Schlöndorff au rang des grands réalisateurs.
July 31, 2007
The best priest movie I've ever seen - it doesn't fall for cheep sentimentality.
½ July 5, 2007
very good movie, would recommend
June 12, 2007
God vs. human impulses.
½ June 10, 2007
remarkable. what it means to live out one's life theologically. marvelously evocative of eucharist towards the end.
June 5, 2007
Volker Schlondorff's best work after tin-drum
April 14, 2007
Average film, rather derivative and clichéd. The cinematography has that dry, home-movie look to it. Matthes underacts.

The dialogue and August Diehl are just enough to make this movie interesting. Like the title says, it's nothing new.
April 1, 2007
i watched it because of august diehl. and it was WORTHED.