No God, No Master - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No God, No Master Reviews

October 9, 2016
good period mystery suspenser
June 28, 2016
Kjedelig. Har sett dette før mange ganger.
September 25, 2015
Solid movie with an important story to tell.
May 24, 2015
A TV feel and script with a nice story and steady hand type performance by Strathairn.
½ May 14, 2015
David Strathairn carries this enterprise with some confident support from a fine cast, including Ray Wise as the US attorney general. NO GOD NO MASTER was made on a shoestring, and the screenwriter/director may have succumbed to a temptation to equate historical events (Sacco and Vanzetti, the Ludlow Massacre, the anarchist movement of the early 20th century) to the war on terror in our own time, yet the story works well. The film is short, tight, intelligent, and quite entertaining. This is one of those roles which demands Mr. Strathairn's characteristic minimalism. It's his movie, and he opens it up to all of us.
November 16, 2014
Illuminates a period we all studied in school, but probably sleep walked through -- as did I. "Blaa, blaa, blaa, immigrants, blaa, blaa, Labor, Unions, blaa. This brought it all to life and, showed the similarities between the stance on terrorism of certain government members then with those is recent administrations (hint: it's almost identical!).
August 25, 2014
The dramatic music was irritating.
August 18, 2014
If I could give this film a half star more I would because I think the film is important and a necessary diversion from 20s-set gangster movies. (Yes, Hollywood, other things were happening in America at that time!) Green's effort in NGNM is appreciated but he should have made 2 movies instead of trying to stuff so much into one film, or made this one longer to getter develop the content. Figures like Red Emma and the drama of the Sacco-Vanzetti trial are too important to rush thru.
August 17, 2014
No God, No Master is the sort of film that clearly has a lot to say, a lot of history to convey, yet struggles to do so effectively in a self-contained film. It's a period piece of historical merit, certainly, but also one plagued by a sort of routine by-the-numbers filmmaking that makes it less compelling than it should have been.

Set in the summer of 1919, the film looks at the events following a series of packaged bombs sent to prominent politicians, industry men, and bankers. The ensuing terror unleashes the overzealous attorney general, Alexander Palmer, who subsequently orders the arrest and deportation of thousands of immigrants, termed the Palmer raids. The film clearly sees a parallel to our current situation today, with civil liberties coming under assault in the wake of hysteria arising out of terror. Like the film's protagonist, Agent William Flynn, the film argues for a more restrained, cool-headed approach. Agreed, but I was
hoping it would be conveyed in a dramatically compelling way. Too often with No God, No Master, we feel as if we are being both preached to and lectured at, with dialogue making a point to constantly underline the historical significance. It is a fine line, to be sure, yet I felt the film was too conservative in its approach, despite some generally good performances, especially by David Stratharian.

Overall, the direction was competent, the performances serviceable, and the story interesting. Yet the execution was lackluster, making it a so-so film.

3/5 Stars
½ June 1, 2014
Based on a True Story.. Interesting.. But little slow..
May 18, 2014
oh perfect, "an anarchist plot to destroy democracy". no friend, anarchism is DIRECT DEMOCRACY, free of coercion, which the state is based upon. bask in your oligarchy & delight in your corptocracy, ignorant deluded masses.
December 24, 2013
This is a very cleaver script with great acting. It's a very good film!!
½ October 7, 2012
"No God No Master" is not subtle about its political viewpoint. In fact, the film is so clear about its distrust of the government and the differences in the class structure that you come out wondering if the characters in the film thought of anything but the injustices of the judicial system. However, the score, performances, and look at a time period rarely covered in cinema is fascinating and I did find myself enjoying the history lesson. Character names and faces get confused at points, mainly because we're busy reading the authentic subtitles that our eyes don't have time to place the names with a face. Still, these are small points to make against a film that is pretty engaging. Stratharin gives a good performance, and Sam Witwer (as Stratharin's sidekick) steals the show (in a good way) in many of his scenes. The score is another highlight, as is the cinematography. It's nice to see a strong cinematic piece of work come out of the state of WI.
July 21, 2012