No Highway in the Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Highway in the Sky Reviews

August 26, 2016
I might have given this a slightly lower rating except that it features science as an honorable and necessary vocation in a modern society. The final third of this film is well set up in the first half, and much of it is predictable, yet the quality of the portayals and the evenness of he pacing make this an enjoyable film. As many films of the era do - this one has a message: a STEM education is a great thing to have alongside social grace.
Paris S.
½ September 17, 2015
Competently acted, directed, edited, and hardly anything more than that. James Stewart turns in a great performance. As a whole, the film is enjoyable from start to finish.
September 15, 2015
A surprise of a piece as Jimmy Stewart plays a Yank over in Britain, an seriously absentminded science geek kind of guy, working for an airline, who's discovered that the brand new flagship has a serious flaw. It doesn't seem like much, but it's an Brit film entirely, which is to say that the characterizations are everything, and so they carry the story here. Marlene Dietrich is on hand as a touring movie star doubtful about her life choices, Jack Hawkins ably leads us into the tale, Kenneth More and Wilfred Hyde-White light the background, but the film belongs to the diminutive Glynis Johns as the soul who recognizes the true worth in Stewart's bumbling, stumbling, distracted professor. Really enjoyable.
August 13, 2015
watched so far only to 15min mark.
½ February 16, 2015
.......

Glynnis johns character wastoo accomodating
Marlene dietrich too understanding
June 13, 2014
Good cast in talky drama.
March 23, 2012
Really great adventure film. I recommend you see it.
August 16, 2011
Despite what my old man will tell you, No Highway in the Sky is not a great movie. It's got a great cast and the story had some potential to be a real potboiler but it just kind of turns into Jimmy Stewart trying to do something different and doing a pretty good job at it. Marlene Dietrich plays herself and at times I felt like I was watching Harvey without a lot of the humor and the invisible rabbit. When I got done watching No Highway in the Sky I started wondering why Jimmy Stewart wasn't better known for this movie. The more I think about it, the less I wonder...
August 16, 2011
Diverting enough for a movie full of men talking about planes. Jimmy Stewart is awkward and guffawing before going all "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" on the doubting establishment; I was waiting for a line like, "Your planes are gonna crash, you dithering limeys!", but to no avail. I'm not sure he's necessarily made for roles like this, but he sure liked to play them.

I've no real idea what Marlene Dietrich is doing in this film, although with this plot she could only be a movie star playing a movie star and hope for the best. She and Stewart spark nicely, but the script is never sure what they're supposed to mean to each other, exactly. And then, of course, there's the subplot with Stewart's daughter, with its horrid 1950s gender-reinforcement implications: she doesn't need knowledge, she needs DRESSES! And that poster is great. Get ready for AIR CRASHES... there are no air crashes in this movie.

This wasn't bad, but it's a slight amusement at best, really...
July 3, 2011
Really great adventure film. I recommend you see it.
½ May 25, 2011
An amazing cast only to be hindered by a rather mediocre story. There are simply not a lot at stake considering a plane is supposedly about to crash. It's based on a story of sorts but I wish the director would have taken liberties to change to story a bit to suit the screen better.
March 29, 2011
James Stewart plays a areonautical engineer who is a widower with a young daughter who spends long hours trying to proove a new model of plane will fail if they do not correct issues with its tail. Reclutant to do so and unable to nail his calculations just right he is concerned their will be a catastrophe before eh can convince anyone. Stewart plays his role as the anguised engineer very well but the rest of the movie lulls quite a bit. Still and all if a Stewart fan you will enjoy his performance here.
January 3, 2011
This is a decent film starring James Stewart. Basic plot has a aeronautical engineer that has a theory that a plane will lose the tail end after so many hours of flight. And of course he gets on one of these planes and worries the crew and some of the passengers. James Stewart is excellent in his role as the smart but odd scientist Theodore Honey. Plus solid supporting roles from actress Marlene Dietrich and Glynis John. The film is more interesting thanks to James Stewart character. A bit of drama and suspense in this. Overall a solid film for its time. Worth a watch thanks to James Stewart performance.
January 3, 2011
on the order of the shop around the corner, stewart, et al., do a superb job of delivering pathos, drama, and comedy in well gently scripted film.
stewarts' charcater's eccentricities take a little getting used too, but once that's behind you the story plays out exceptionally well.
what pleased me most was like, shop around the corner, the ensemble was the real star of the production.
also, the courteousness and consideration the characters shown throughtout piece is a far cry from the almost routine crass, foul mouthed behavior seen today; even when they are supposed to like each other.
their world of cinema was a far better place.
a quiet little piece of cinema worth preserving.
½ January 2, 2011
I was very surprised to come upon this film, never having heard of it or seen it before. It is charming and lovely. The story is rather quirky but it is quite a nice vehicle for Stewart, Dietrich, and Johns.
December 18, 2010
Entertaining but insubstantial yarn about a quirky engineer who is certain an airplane tail section will fail in time. Without Stewart this probably wouldn't be worth watching, although the British cast is also solid.
½ November 4, 2010
No Highway in the Sky is about real people. James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich worked well together. The screenplay is well written. Henry Koster did a great job directing this film. I enjoyed this movie because of the amazing characters. No Highway in the Sky is a must see.
July 31, 2010
Classic 1950s precursor to films like Airport and the whole genre of disaster films - reworks the myth of Icarus and Daedalus one of whom (can't remember which) flies too close to the sun and his wings fall off because the heat melts the wax - with the advent of long distance passenger flight after the war the dangers of planes falling out of the sky was a real fear. Unfortunately the first viable commercial jet liner the comet did just that and the cause was metal fatigue the exact problem in this prophetic film. A sterling Anglo American cast really lifts this otherwise fairly predictable film to one really worth watching
July 26, 2010
If I?m going to be meeting my maker, I?d like to know about it

Theodore Honey is an aviation scientist that has never flown in an airplane. He studies planes that have crashed and analyzes the rationale for the accident. On his first flight he quickly discovers that he has studied his plane after a recent accident in Europe. He believes based on the length of the trip and the altitude of the plane his flight will crash. Upon relaying this information to the flight attendant and captain, they believe he is crazy. Will Honey be right or is he just nervous during his first flight?

?I guess you multiplied some place you should have divided.?

Henry Koster, director of The Singing Nun, The Story of Ruth, Harvey, The Robe, First Love, The Bishop?s Wife, and Peter, delivers No Highway in the Sky. The storyline for this picture is interesting and well delivered but the characters were more captivating than the actual plot. The acting was first rate and the cast included James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich.

?I liked the one where you killed your husband.?
?Oh yes, I liked that one too.?

I am a huge James Stewart fan and try to catch as many of his pictures as possible. I happened to come across this film on television and had to see it. The overall plot was a bit disappointing but the main character was wonderful. It was also interesting to see how Dietrich?s character would ultimately tie-in with Stewart?s character. Overall, this is another worthwhile Stewart film that is definitely worth your time.

?Science is in no hurry.?

Grade: B+
½ June 27, 2010
I appreciated and loved watching these classic movies growing up. And James Steward is such a brilliant actor. His awkwardness shines on the screen.