No Highway in the Sky Reviews

• Apr 29, 2019

Unusual story (and unpredictable) and unusual to see Stewart in a British production. Marred only by its lightweight attempts at humor. Would have worked much better as a straight-ahead drama.

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    Mar 09, 2017

Fine work from the leads, but the story sags and goes for the predictable happy ending. There's a better father/daughter story in here that is sadly sidelined.

• Aug 26, 2016

I might have given this a slightly lower rating except that it features science as an honorable and necessary vocation in a modern society. The final third of this film is well set up in the first half, and much of it is predictable, yet the quality of the portayals and the evenness of he pacing make this an enjoyable film. As many films of the era do - this one has a message: a STEM education is a great thing to have alongside social grace.

• Paris S Super Reviewer
    Sep 17, 2015

Competently acted, directed, edited, and hardly anything more than that. James Stewart turns in a great performance. As a whole, the film is enjoyable from start to finish.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 15, 2015

A surprise of a piece as Jimmy Stewart plays a Yank over in Britain, an seriously absentminded science geek kind of guy, working for an airline, who's discovered that the brand new flagship has a serious flaw. It doesn't seem like much, but it's an Brit film entirely, which is to say that the characterizations are everything, and so they carry the story here. Marlene Dietrich is on hand as a touring movie star doubtful about her life choices, Jack Hawkins ably leads us into the tale, Kenneth More and Wilfred Hyde-White light the background, but the film belongs to the diminutive Glynis Johns as the soul who recognizes the true worth in Stewart's bumbling, stumbling, distracted professor. Really enjoyable.

• Feb 16, 2015

....... Glynnis johns character wastoo accomodating Marlene dietrich too understanding

• Jun 11, 2014

Good cast in talky drama.

Good cast in talky drama.

• Michael G Super Reviewer
    Aug 16, 2011

Despite what my old man will tell you, No Highway in the Sky is not a great movie. It's got a great cast and the story had some potential to be a real potboiler but it just kind of turns into Jimmy Stewart trying to do something different and doing a pretty good job at it. Marlene Dietrich plays herself and at times I felt like I was watching Harvey without a lot of the humor and the invisible rabbit. When I got done watching No Highway in the Sky I started wondering why Jimmy Stewart wasn't better known for this movie. The more I think about it, the less I wonder...

• Aug 16, 2011

Diverting enough for a movie full of men talking about planes. Jimmy Stewart is awkward and guffawing before going all "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" on the doubting establishment; I was waiting for a line like, "Your planes are gonna crash, you dithering limeys!", but to no avail. I'm not sure he's necessarily made for roles like this, but he sure liked to play them. I've no real idea what Marlene Dietrich is doing in this film, although with this plot she could only be a movie star playing a movie star and hope for the best. She and Stewart spark nicely, but the script is never sure what they're supposed to mean to each other, exactly. And then, of course, there's the subplot with Stewart's daughter, with its horrid 1950s gender-reinforcement implications: she doesn't need knowledge, she needs DRESSES! And that poster is great. Get ready for AIR CRASHES... there are no air crashes in this movie. This wasn't bad, but it's a slight amusement at best, really...

• Jul 03, 2011

Really great adventure film. I recommend you see it.

Really great adventure film. I recommend you see it.