No Retreat, No Surrender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Retreat, No Surrender Reviews

July 29, 2017
I loved this movie when I was a kid. So many Karate Kid rip offs and as far as acting goes, this one is the worst. With the exception of Van Damme, who's not asked to do much except look tough which he does well, every actor in this movie is not an actor. And it shows. But they are martial artists and that shows too. The fighting is actually really good, although not too surprising since it is directed by well respected Hong Kong Director/Actor Corey Yuen. I don't really know what the plot is. There seems to be an old white guy who sends a younger slimy white guy to close down Dojos. And there is a bully subplot that goes pretty much nowhere. Van Damme is only in 3 scenes despite getting second billing. However, he is the best part of the movie aside from the fight choreography. 1 star for JCVD and 1 for the fighting.
½ April 29, 2017
Hey....Jean-Claude Van Damme doesn't have many lines and still kicks ass Van Damme style. Plus the father doesn't want to fight......unless it's with his son. Still a joy to watch.
½ February 3, 2017
When JCVD is the best actor in a movie and he has about three lines of dialogue, you know there's a problem. But on some level you have to appreciate the sensory overload of '80s cheese on display here.
January 14, 2017
Oh man, the cheese! Whether it be the sound effects of the kicks, the Korean Bruce Lee, the B side "karate kid" style soundtrack or the atroucious acting, this film seems to have a charm to it. I don't know how, and I don't know why. I thought it was such a cool movie as a kid.
January 13, 2016
Even JCVD can't beat the spirit of Bruce lee
August 29, 2015
Van Damme is soooo young in this. Great film
August 11, 2015
Top 5 of my inspiration movie either u like karate or not!
½ July 16, 2015
a phenomenal comedy in this parody of ""the karate kid'". this movie singlehandedly sucks so bad it becomes one of the most charming entertaining films I've ever seen
July 10, 2015
This movie is pretty awful, but it tends to be a bit funny because of it. Still, not funny enough that I would recommend anyone watch it. However, the scenes with a very young Jean-Claude Van Damme in them are the best in the movie.
½ June 20, 2015
This pile of crap was so bad that dead people complain.
June 7, 2015
Absolutely loved it... x
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
I saw this many times before and enjoyed it at that time. Its about a young guy training karate and he isnt to good. But he asked bruce lee for help and he appear as a ghost and help him (sounds weird i guess) :) . Van Damme have a small role here aswell. Anyway okey martial art movie.
September 20, 2014
another case of so bad its good to me this is not a karate kid rip off but rather a lazy bad acting and horribly shot film first can we get someone who looks at least a little bit more like Bruce Lee cmon and second the acting is god awful the only decent one in the bunch is the lead the only thing that to me makes the movie watchable is the fight scenes and the stupid moments that make me laugh its ok just look at as a comedy if you do that you will enjoy it
August 7, 2014
It was decent karate movie
June 18, 2014
This makes no sense. Why is an organized crime outfit trying to take over every single dojo in America? Who gives a fuck this is the greatest film ever made. When you are certain to face a showdown with an evil JCVD it is crucial that you have Bruce Lee as your Sensi. Textbook 80's cheese.
½ January 22, 2014
New karate kid on the block makes friends with a breakdancer, but as formula would have it, many enemies from the local dojo for bullies. On paper it's an obvious Karate Kid cash-in, but No Retreat No Surrender is on a whole different, lower level. It's ridiculously cheesy, features genuinely incompetent plotting, and over-acting right out of an Ed Wood movie. That said, it's all done so earnestly that the it actually manages to be engaging for much of the first half of the film, and it achieves a rare balance between being both intentionally and unintentionally funny. However, the fun fizzles out in the seond half of the film as it takes a astounding turn and sees our hero get trained by, um, Bruce Lee's ghost (played by a guy that does not resemble Lee) through various very repetitive montages, leading to a final confrontation with a very cringeworthy Jean-Claude Van Damme. If someone was to set out to make a bad movie, they probably would not succeed to make it as bad as this turned out to be without seemingly trying, but therein lies the cham of this film. It's got the "so bad it's good" factor completely nailed down.
December 24, 2013
Unfortunately the film is probably the worst film ever put together! The acting is pants, the script is worse, but, its just as I remembered it from when I was about 6 years old!!! I loved it back then, thats the reason for the 3 stars!
November 7, 2013
A friend & I saw this movie & laughed through the whole thing. It was SO bad it was funny, literally. We really enjoyed the movie but not because it was good. It stank...
October 18, 2013
I agree, actors were bleh, but for the 80s and growing up seeing this movie, I'll always love it.
Accept the acting for what it was and go with it!
Great never give up kind of movie. No Retreat! No Surrender!!!!

Ok.....23 minutes in....whoa bad acting lol! funny though...
½ October 3, 2013
And I am rating this movie from way back when. Loved this movie when it came out. Now I still like the fighting, but the acting is bad...