No Retreat, No Surrender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Even JCVD can't beat the spirit of Bruce lee
August 29, 2015
Van Damme is soooo young in this. Great film
August 11, 2015
Top 5 of my inspiration movie either u like karate or not!
½ July 16, 2015
a phenomenal comedy in this parody of ""the karate kid'". this movie singlehandedly sucks so bad it becomes one of the most charming entertaining films I've ever seen
July 10, 2015
This movie is pretty awful, but it tends to be a bit funny because of it. Still, not funny enough that I would recommend anyone watch it. However, the scenes with a very young Jean-Claude Van Damme in them are the best in the movie.
½ June 20, 2015
This pile of crap was so bad that dead people complain.
June 7, 2015
Absolutely loved it... x
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
I saw this many times before and enjoyed it at that time. Its about a young guy training karate and he isnt to good. But he asked bruce lee for help and he appear as a ghost and help him (sounds weird i guess) :) . Van Damme have a small role here aswell. Anyway okey martial art movie.
September 20, 2014
another case of so bad its good to me this is not a karate kid rip off but rather a lazy bad acting and horribly shot film first can we get someone who looks at least a little bit more like Bruce Lee cmon and second the acting is god awful the only decent one in the bunch is the lead the only thing that to me makes the movie watchable is the fight scenes and the stupid moments that make me laugh its ok just look at as a comedy if you do that you will enjoy it
August 7, 2014
It was decent karate movie
June 18, 2014
This makes no sense. Why is an organized crime outfit trying to take over every single dojo in America? Who gives a fuck this is the greatest film ever made. When you are certain to face a showdown with an evil JCVD it is crucial that you have Bruce Lee as your Sensi. Textbook 80's cheese.
½ January 22, 2014
New karate kid on the block makes friends with a breakdancer, but as formula would have it, many enemies from the local dojo for bullies. On paper it's an obvious Karate Kid cash-in, but No Retreat No Surrender is on a whole different, lower level. It's ridiculously cheesy, features genuinely incompetent plotting, and over-acting right out of an Ed Wood movie. That said, it's all done so earnestly that the it actually manages to be engaging for much of the first half of the film, and it achieves a rare balance between being both intentionally and unintentionally funny. However, the fun fizzles out in the seond half of the film as it takes a astounding turn and sees our hero get trained by, um, Bruce Lee's ghost (played by a guy that does not resemble Lee) through various very repetitive montages, leading to a final confrontation with a very cringeworthy Jean-Claude Van Damme. If someone was to set out to make a bad movie, they probably would not succeed to make it as bad as this turned out to be without seemingly trying, but therein lies the cham of this film. It's got the "so bad it's good" factor completely nailed down.
December 24, 2013
Unfortunately the film is probably the worst film ever put together! The acting is pants, the script is worse, but, its just as I remembered it from when I was about 6 years old!!! I loved it back then, thats the reason for the 3 stars!
November 7, 2013
A friend & I saw this movie & laughed through the whole thing. It was SO bad it was funny, literally. We really enjoyed the movie but not because it was good. It stank...
October 18, 2013
I agree, actors were bleh, but for the 80s and growing up seeing this movie, I'll always love it.
Accept the acting for what it was and go with it!
Great never give up kind of movie. No Retreat! No Surrender!!!!

Ok.....23 minutes in....whoa bad acting lol! funny though...
½ October 3, 2013
And I am rating this movie from way back when. Loved this movie when it came out. Now I still like the fighting, but the acting is bad...
½ August 26, 2013
a big fan of Van Damme and i don't understand why his name is the first on the video we hardly see him. the movie was good but a let down if you are here to watch Van Damme fight
August 8, 2013
The biggest fail of this movie is that Van Damme is not in most of the movie. The movie resembles an attempt on riding on the success of the Karate Kid movie from 1984, but while the Karate Kid is a masterpiece, this is a B, possible a C, quality movie. The acting is horrible and the story lacks any depth and has a lot of gaps. The fighting itself is average. It's nice to see a martial art movie with a bit of speed in the fights, but besides that, and some nice Van Damme moves, there's not much to the fights.

If your a big fan of martial art movies, this film will be an okay entertainment, if your not, then don't watch it.
½ July 25, 2013
The story is about his annoying martial arts-wannabe/Bruce Lee-fanboy named Jason played by Kurt McKinney who tries so hard to impress with his martial arts or karate or whatever the hell it is. When he gets beaten up at his girlfriend's 17th birthday by some punk, his dad gets mad by accusing him of fighting because he has a paralyzed leg and takes down all his fighting equipment. After a devastating day, he turns insane and hallucinates Bruce Lee (not fucking kidding) and starts training with him. On his girlfriend's brother's match, it turns out that he is versing Ivan The Russian played by The Muscles From Brussels himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme and that he is cheating during the competition but Jason is there to save the day and backfire his rivals' insults. This movie clearly has JCVD on the top heading above the title like he is main star and you focus on some dumb teenage Rocky-like story? FUCK YOU movie! Here's what I would have done, instead of a story about some dumb untalented punk teens, make Van Damme and his friends the main characters; he will be training for the competition after he gets picked on by punks, you can keep that cowardly father storyline in the movie and the girlfriend too but take out the comic relief black guy cos he's useless to the movie; he meets a man who has an indestructible force and he uses all his skills to save the day. This story however was too annoying, too cliched and it lied to our faces when we were expecting something a lot better. While JCVD was a pleasant surprise at climatic battle (not fucking kidding that's the only scene where he appears), the rest of the movie involves bad actors either untalented or miscasted and a horrible script that is so cliche you just feel sick to death. No Retreat, No Surrender gets a 1/10.
June 29, 2013
A psych-thriller that deals with a young martial artists mental illness causing him to hallucinate visions of Bruce Lee.