No Subtitles Necessary: Laszlo & Vilmos Reviews

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Nov 23, 2013

"No Subtitles Necessary" is an insightful documentary about noted cinematographers Laszlo Kovacs and Vilmos Zsigmond who not only escaped Hungary shortly after the unsuccessful 1956 uprising but also risked their lives filming some of it for western news sources. After coming to America, they worked a series of odd jobs before going to Hollywood where they worked on a series of odd movies before hitting it big. That came in 1969, just as Hollywood was getting interesting, as their naturalistic styles became very influential over the following decade. And that's not to mention the documentary identifying the close relationship between cinematographers and actors, eloquently expressed best by Sharon Stone. Considering we already know so much about "Easy Rider," why not try to include an anecdote or two from Dennis Hopper's infamous "The Last Movie," instead? Plus, in the movie's dual format, it is tougher to separate the careers of Kovacs and Zsigmond. For example, I am still not quite sure who was supposed to be the handsome one.

• Mar 02, 2012

I went to a screening of this film at the Hollywood Film School last night and was blown away. You must see this film if you are a true fan of cinema. It of course shows a sampling of their works which is impressive in itself, but more importantly tells the incredible backstory of two friends who escaped from Hungary to the U.S. and not only changed the style of cinematography, but heralded in independent filmmaking. The interviews in this film include Voight, Streisand, Hopper, Bullock, etc... with reverence and humor for these two men who have given so much to the art with their films and their unselfishness in teaching others the craft. I was lucky enough to meet the filmmaker and producer after the screening and was humbled by the modesty all of them had after making such an impressive and important film. I know they put a lot of work into this since it screened at Cannes, and it shows. If you want to watch a thoroughly enjoyable film in content and execution, see this film - it really does shine.