No Time for Sergeants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Time for Sergeants Reviews

February 26, 2011
You can clearly see where Griffith received his inspiration for the Gomer Pyle character when you see his performance in No Time For Sergeants. Griffith plays a Georgia hillbilly named Will Stockdale who is drafted into the U.S. Air Force and becomes a constant pain in the butt to his easy going but also spit and polish Sgt. King played by the likeable Myron McCormick. Nick Adams plays Stockdale's friend and bunkmate Ben Whitledge and great character actor Murray Hamilton plays the awesome role of Irvin Blanchard, a middle aged college boy who always wears shades and who relishes the bully role in Stockdale's barracks. This hilarious film follows one romp after another as Will is constantly trying to help his buddy Ben get transferred into the infantry. Based on the hit Broadway play with Griffith & McCormick reprising their roles for the film.
December 4, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

A funny film.
September 1, 2010
Great Movie. Black and White, but I hope that doesn't deter some from watching this movie. The humor is quite different. Almost slap stick, with some very funny physical
scenes, but really the humor is deeper than that. This movie made Andy Griffith a Star. Setting the roots for the Andy Griffith Show, although they really don't share much, other than Andy Griffith portrays a lovable Southerner. His Character in this movie is more physical, and less intelligent, but just as like able. He plays a nearly illiterate Hillbilly, but not entirely as his father proves in one very funny scene. I have seen it many times over the years, and always enjoy it. It even has a Don Knotts Cameo part. He doesn't play his character in the least from the Andy Griffith Show, but is very memorable. Fun for all ages, except for the very young.
August 27, 2010
If you enjoy laughing and if you like Andy Griffith, then you'll love this film. This film is just a non-stop laughing roller coaster that doesn't stop until the final words roll across the screen. Here is my advice. If you haven't seen it yet, make a plan to rent it or buy it and plan a movie night. You won't regret it. If you have seen it, but it's been years, go back and rediscover the laughs.
July 11, 2010
Very cheesy with Andy Griffith acting like a country hick.
June 22, 2010
Funny stuff! I did the scene between Will and the psychiatrist in high school, and as it played out in the movie, I still remembered some of the lines.
May 27, 2010
If you love comedies and you have never seen this film, you are in for a treat my friend. This little black and white film which is based on the play by the same name has several very clever, well thought out, chuckles. However, what stands this movie out from 99% of all other comedies, this has a truly hilarious, side splitting scene. This scene just isn't "cute" or "clever" but probably the best comedy scene ever on film.

Most people think of Andy Griffith as Andy Taylor or, gulp, Matlock. I will always think of Andy Griffith as a PLO...permanent latrine orderly.

I love comedies, they're my favorite films. I honestly believe this is the best comedy of all time. If you have a chance to see it, do so. You won't be disappointed.
½ May 4, 2010
Most of you are probably too young to remember Andy Griffith pre The Andy Griffith show, however if you want to see why he was targeted for fame please do yourself a favor and watch " No time For Sergeants" It is a true classic that will entertain you and your entire family over and over. I believe it is where the Gomer Pyle character was born but frankly even better. Not dated and funny without one foul word. Once again a true " Classic" Ken K.
May 3, 2010
I wish they made movies like this again. Nothing today can compare. Andy Griffith, and Don Knotts are the greatest!!
January 1, 2010
I love, love, love this movie. Everyone is wonderful!
½ December 4, 2009
Hysterical. The characters are reversed from the expected. Don Knotts is the level headed man, and Griffith is the Buffoon. I love it.
November 15, 2009
This is one of the best military comedies of all time. Andy Griffith is a back woods hillbilly who is drafted. His naivete and sense of duty are unequivocal. Co stars Nick Adams with a group of character actors familiar to all, including Don Knotts. This was the precursor to The Gomer Pyle Show.
½ April 6, 2009
Alright, but not the best movie I have ever seen. Actually, this is the movie in which Andy Griffith forms the character is Sherrif Andy Taylor in the Andy Griffith Show and meets Don Knotts.
March 3, 2009
Griffith and Knotts start from here
½ February 17, 2009
Thank goodness for this movie right after A Face in the Crowd. Andy Griffith got to show his comedic side. That's the side we're all used to.
December 17, 2008
Griffith! Yes he makes this movie. Great fun. Especially when he has to pass his exams.
December 1, 2008
Movie that helped make Andy famous. DOnKnotts has aa bit part, but Nick Adams (The Rebel-TV) is good in this. (Last name forst, first name, middle name last)
November 30, 2008
This is a funny movie
August 25, 2008
This is about the best Andy Griffith movie I have ever seen, I think its the first Movie he ever made if I'm Correct, its a must see
June 14, 2008
Great comedic talent. A lot of stars! Wonderfully funny movie! A true classic!