Noam Chomsky: Rebel Without A Pause - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Noam Chomsky: Rebel Without A Pause Reviews

½ September 11, 2010
To judge the man as a great orator or judge this film as a great documentary is to miss the point. Chomsky does his due diligence on every subject 5 times over. He is not received well in the United Sates popular press. It?s like bringing a mini-gun to a butter knife fight. I was first exposed to Chomsky in psychology texts and I thought his theories rank up with the ?gestalt? psychological theories. Militaristically stated but cutting right to the point. He is a liberal in the fact that he wants to change the world for the better. He is a liberal for the fact that some conservative do not listen to his message. I do not prescribe to all his statements, but I do not know any one who can exercise you mind more vigorously when you try and prove him wrong. The production value of the movie is very low key like the man. If it was over done the same people who do not listen to him know still would not listen to him.
July 15, 2005

Hmmm yeah huh.... where to start on Noam Chomsky, to attempt to summarise this mans life would take to long so instead I'll give you a link if you want to read up on THE MAN but here's a short BIO taken from that very link.

[b]Avram Noam Chomsky [/b](born December 7, 1928) is an Institute Professor Emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and creator of the Chomsky hierarchy, a classification of formal languages. His works in generative linguistics contributed significantly to the decline of behaviourism and led to the advancement of the cognitive sciences. Outside of his linguistic work, Chomsky is also widely known for his political activism and his criticism of the foreign policy of the United States and other governments. Chomsky describes himself as a libertarian socialist and a sympathizer of anarcho-syndicalism.

According to the Arts and Humanities Citation Index, between 1980 and 1992 Chomsky was cited as a source more often than any living scholar, and the eighth most cited source overall.

Whether you agree or not with his views (Most right-wingers would love to see him disappear) he is a brilliant man, a thinker, an intellectual that can vulgarise his thinking so as to become accessible by all who listen to him speak. Although my opinions on syndicalism are still in a state of flux between corporatism and unionism (I used to be very corporate-oriented when it came to unions, but that's changing these days) , I can truly understand where he's coming from. And after this documentary I can say I'm in agreement with him on most arguments he makes. One thing is for sure, I'm picking up one of his books on my next book buying expedition (But I still have about 5 books left to read so far)

The doc, follows Noam Chomsky for a week on a Canadian tour. I noticed that Mr Chomsky, Mr. Info-Sponge, seemed to not know much about Canadian issues and politics, I felt he was holding back as to not offend anyone because he could go on and on about US and European issues, he reads 6 papers a day and over 80 periodical publications and that's just half his job, points out his wife, Dr. Carol Chomsky. I doubt he never read anything about Canadian affairs.

For a man his age, he really gets around; I doubt most people couldn't follow his schedule. Oddly enough for a social critic he's very soft-spoken even in his most opinionated moments. Never does he seem to pass as what right-wingers call bleeding-heart liberals.

The doc, is sadly lacking in momentum or cadence... it was like reading stereo instructions. It had no punch to it, but just like Zinn's doc, the subject of the doc is interesting enough to make the DVD worth the rental. What can I say; I like critics that have scathing sarcasm and biting cynicism about the right. But that's me; I don't hold punches when I got to say something, which makes for interesting debate sometimes.

So just a 3 outta 5 for the DVD but a 5 outta 5 for Noam
½ March 29, 2005
I was lucky enough to see this at a film festival last year and I was quite impressed with Chomsky and his views. The film presents the latest on Chomsky and of Chomsky's work in an organized and easy-to-approcah manner and balances Chomsky with those who know him. It's partly about Chomsky's work in regards to Iraq, September 11th, control of the media by government, activism and truth, but also about Chomsky which is quite interesting. He's been around for ever but this film proves he is around still for many, many reasons. Watching it, I was moved, shocked, angered and frustrated with our current politics and with the real reasons so many soldiers and civilians are dying every day in Iraq. It's not about terrorists but it is now. Chomsky clearly points out the errors about going into Iraq on a falsified ideal and how the people will resist, but what is interesting - the film was made weeks before the US invaded Iraq. It was like he was a fortune teller. Highly recommended.