Nobody Else But You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nobody Else But You Reviews

May 24, 2016
During his holidays on the countryside, David Rousseau (Jean-Paul Rouve), an author of crime novels, investigates the death of a beautiful young woman named Candice Lecoeur (Sophie Quinton). He discovers that Candice had modeled her life and career after Marilyn Monroe. Rousseau refuses to believe she has committed suicide. Teaming up with a local policeman in his search for the truth, he will be confronted with many difficulties and going beyond what some people want to keep a secret forever...

This melancholic "Fargo" like thriller comedy puts a focus on the bitterness and sadness Marilyn Monroe was living through during her lifetime channeled via the fame thirsty character Candice and her similar demise. The mix between comedy and bleak drama is not working as the film doesn´t know what it wants to be. "Nobody Else But You" is stale, clichéd, slow, boring and not that funny. Rather more tragic and unsatisfying. You can easily pass on this one.
March 14, 2016
A writer investigates the mysterious death of a weather-girl in a snowy, small town in Bordeaux. As it happens, her life (and death) closely resemble that of Marilyn Monroe. This is a quirky, slyly humorous little thriller which pays homage to American cult classics like Twin Peaks and Fargo. It tails off towards the end, having become as far-fetched as some of the MM conspiracy theories, but for the most part it's a touching, well-acted pastiche on the Monroe myth.
October 29, 2014
I am going to pass on this one.
½ May 16, 2014
Comparisons to Fargo, Twin Peaks, and even Laura come naturally for this unique and very droll French neo-noir. The story twists and turns intriguingly. The two stars both give great performances. The direction and cinematography are outstanding. My sole complaint is that the subtitles were often difficult to read and I didn't want to miss any of the dialog.
Harlequin68
½ February 15, 2014
When David Rousseau(Jean-Paul Rouve), a writer, travels several hundred kilometers to a small town for a wealthy relative's funeral, he is disappointed to learn that the only thing he will be inheriting is the family dog which is in fact quite dead and stuffed. What he does get is inspiration when the body of Candice Lecoeur(Sophie Quinton), a local cheese spokesmodel and weather person, is found in the snow, a presumed suicide. But Rousseau senses foul play, even though the authorities say otherwise. His investigations bring him to Dr. Juliette Geminy(Arsinee Khanjian), Candice's psychiatrist, who after some pressure reveals that Candice had dreams of being Marilyn Monroe in a previous life.

With more than its share of homages and references to the past, "Nobody Else but You" is definitely a movie like they just don't make anymore, that of a shaggy detective in a beatup car running down a mystery in engagingly offbeat fashion. Castle notwithstanding, I usually don't like writers as protagonists but here it works well as I like Rousseau. Plus, the movie gets more sympathy for Marilyn Monroe than any more direct or saner approach would do, even if the movie spells things out a little too forcefully.(And it's a nice touch that somebody says that Candice reminds him of Ann Baxter.) But while the mystery's resolution is lacking, the movie does end on a perfectly bittersweet note.
½ February 10, 2014
Interesting plot, some good ideas, and some good acting, but the whole thing ended up being less than the sum of its parts. With more skillful direction it could have been a good movie. Ultimately, I ended up not being drawn in completely. A decent attempt, though, I must say.
September 13, 2013
Cold- for most of the time, both on & off screen.
hunterjt13
April 20, 2013
In a snow-drenched town, mystery writer investigates the death of a woman whose life mirrors that of Marilyn Monroe.
A mixture of Fargo and Twin Peaks, this film takes a long time to unfold; in fact there aren't any clues to the mystery until about forty minutes into the action. However, once the film picks up speed, it is quite compelling. Sophie Quinton plays Candice Lecoeur like the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe that the script calls for: she's troubled and lonely and without an independent identity, but her grace and charm make her eminently desirable. By the end of the film, the tragedy of a woman who gets filled up with desires other than her own rings poignantly.
The film's character development of David Rousseau is abysmal. What is his damage? What are his motivations? What about Candice connects to him? These questions are essential, but the film remains silent.
Overall, at the end of the film, I like it enough to try to forget the beginning.
½ April 20, 2013
This is a damn good neo-noir flick that tells the very intriguing story of Candince, who believes herself to be the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe, and the strange circumstances surrounding her death, much like Marilyn's death as well. The film feels like an old-school noir film with a modern twist. The story progression and the mystery surrounding this death, the way the narration plays out, the way the film is shot. I like how the film chooses to parallel her life to Marilyn's and how that led to her, unfortunate, downfall. It is the story of the fall of a Hollywood starlet except it's set in France and on an considerably smaller scale. If there's a problem with the movie is that the reveal of what happened to Candice, compared to the rest of the story which is really well-written and suspenseful, felt a little flat. It's actually a really good ending if you take it out of context because the fact that so many people actually had a hand in her death was, legitimately, very surprising. But when taken as the reveal of this story that has been so expertly told and crafted, I just found it to feel a little flat. I have no idea why it felt like this, but it does. Another thing I did like was the fact that the film isn't entirely humorless. There are some very funny scenes in this flick and they were certainly not expected but more than welcome. I really enjoyed the acting as well, Jean-Paul Rouve does a good job at detective but the show belongs to Sophie Quinton. She is definitely excellent and does carry herself as Marilyn-esque. She's certainly not the most attractive woman in the world but she's very charming and sexy. Yes, you don't need to be attractive to be sexy...it's all about how you carry yourself. But I thought she was very good in her role. Definitely not a role that requires a lot of nuance, but a great performance nonetheless. Even if the ending felt a little flat to me, this is still a damn good neo-noir thriller with an intriguing murder mystery and some great performances. Another pleasant surprise.
April 18, 2013
Pas si pire... Pour un polar, c'était pas mauvais
April 9, 2013
Nobody Else You connects the stories of a journalist who finds his muse in a recently murdered woman who thought she was the reincarnate of Marilyn Monroe. Sophie Quinton gives a great seductive and insecure performance that perfectly captures the spirit of Monroe.
½ April 7, 2013
Written and directed by Gérald Hustache-Mathieu, "Nobody Else But You - Poupoupidou)" is one of the most intriguing and enjoyable movies I've seen in some time. The posters promise a hint of "Twin Peaks" and lots of the Coen Bros., but I also detected a dash of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (Swedish version) and, as was the intent, a very nice serving of Marilyn Monroe. Thanks for that to Sophie Quinton who, as local weathergirl and cheese advertising model Candice Lecoeur, channels the film icon nicely.

Jean Paul Rouve stars as David Rousseau, a successful crime novelist with a case of writer's block. He arrives in the girl's hometown of Mouthe, on the French-Swiss border, the exact day that the local starlet is found dead in the snow, an apparent drug-overdose suicide. The scene where her body is discovered in a pristine field of snow on the edge of a dark evergreen forest is superbly filmed, and sets the tone for the rest of the movie. Rousseau's investigatory instincts come into play at once as he decides that all is not as it seems, and he sees in the case a chance to revive his literary inspiration. Here too another cinematic echo is introduced... any one familiar with the classic film noir "Laura" will guess immediately that our protagonist is soon to fall in love with "the unattainable woman."

The links to MM come fast and furious, including visual tributes, and it's fun sussing them out, even though a few are telegraphed. The scene where Candice plays with a paddleball on a string in front of a group of men (Misfits) is a particular delight. The investigation is paced nicely - the more we learn, the more we want to know. Minor characters are introduced and all contribute to a totally satisfying package. I'll mention in particular Clara Ponsot as the Goth receptioniste who brings a touch of heat to the writer's frigid hotel (the boiler is busted), and Guillaume Gouix as a young assistant policeman who decides to give Rousseau some timely assistance.

The dénoument is surprising but satisfying and I was left with an interior smile, knowing that I had been titillated, stroked, challenged and satisfied by a new filmmaker with great style and a love of the art. I look forward to more from M. Hustache-Mathieu... highly recommended.
December 17, 2012
An original and good thriller which somehow combines the icy Twin Peaks scenario with Marilyn Monroe's biography. A nice and unexpected surprise.
December 12, 2012
This movie was a fantastic mystery with comic elements and a surprising story line. Thoroughly enjoyed the setting and the unfolding plot.
December 5, 2012
Reliable thriller wherein most of the thrills come from Candice's erotic self-obsession with Marilyn. The French Alpine countryside contributes almost as many nice visuals as Quinton in the lead role, but Candice remains almost the sole source of warmth in this otherwise decidedly cool place. Ample citations from other films, such as Candice's title as Belle de Jura aligning her with Deneuve's Belle de Jour, but the reference to Fellini's Amarcord seems a non sequitur, but perhaps that was its point. Worth a watch.
November 30, 2012
Marilyn Monroe reborn and entangled in a murder mystery like nothing else you've seen before...available on IW
366weirdmovies
November 20, 2012
In a snowbound French town, a crime novelist investigates the death of a local celebrity who beleived hereself to be the reincarntaion of Marilyn Monroe. Nods to "Twin Peaks" and a soundtrack full of icy renditions of 60s hits add ot the appeal of this cool, stylish and strange mystery.
½ November 7, 2012
A really good premise with some really good parts but also feels painfully formulaic that it may be mostly forgotten. Will type more laters...
½ October 23, 2012