Noises Off - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Noises Off Reviews

½ April 4, 2012
Hillarious...every time you watch it you find more and more things to laugh at. Excellent ensemble casting and very quotable!
March 10, 2012
It's a brilliant movie full of mishaps, a lot of door slamming and...sardines! It has an all-star cast that's backed up by a hilarious script! Definitely worth owning!
½ March 6, 2012
This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I've done some live theater and what this movie reveals about the tensions created from relationships backstage is so genuine. Of course they exaggerate, as any good comedy should, but it still rings true. I think some of the best comedies are ones that show the humor in a way that is somewhat grounded in reality. The humor also should work for people who have never set foot on stage or seen live theater, so don't think it's exclusive to theater buffs. There's a lot of physical humor too, which adds to the laughs.

I've had friends who suggested that this story is actually better as a live stage play. While I have seen the live show, and I quite enjoy it, this movie is better for one simple reason. Nowhere can you go and see a cast as amazing as the one in this film. With comic geniuses like Carol Burnett and John Ritter, great actors like Christopher Reeve and Michael Caine, it's star-studded beyond your wildest dreams. And these folks have impeccable comedic timing. I swear I would pay to see this cast read tax law, because they add so much to the already hilarious script.

The way the story is told in 3 acts is absolutely perfect. After the first act you not only know the characters, but you understand how the show is supposed to look. This pays off brilliantly in the second and third acts when things backstage go wrong at just the right (or wrong) times in context of the show. I can't even begin to tell you all the great lines and physical comedy moments that make this movie so funny. All I can say is that, after seeing the film dozens of times, I still find myself laughing until my sides hurt. If you've never seen this film it is an absolute must see, that sadly flew under most people's radar.
February 3, 2012
hilarious, i absolutely loved it!
½ January 22, 2012
If you're a theatre person, this should be up your alley...
November 13, 2011
The cast is full of comedians with some of the best timing going around not to mention the perfect set up of a group of misfit actors running amok during the run of a bad stage comedy. A must see.
October 23, 2011
Omg this is so hilarious, so many now famous actors, if there was ever a mad-cap romp this is IT! :D
October 22, 2011
We rented this on a whim a few years ago and were really caught off guard on how funny this was. One of my favorite comedies now. RIP Christopher Reeves and John Ritter.
August 24, 2011
First half of the movie is little boring but the second half is extremely hilarious. Not happy with the ending but the all the mess in the movie is really funny.

It movie with a plot of "Play within a Play" with lots of crazy thing happening like young women run about in their underwear, old men drop their trousers, and many doors continually open and shut etc etc..

Direction Scored well.
Screenplay and Cinematography is alright.

All the characters acted really well. Specially.. Caine, Ritter and Henner.

The first half shows how the play is which is quite boring but second half shows how the play come out with all the mess among the characters.
Ending is not satisfying but..
August 11, 2011
Noises Off is what is is, and what it is is an absolutely absurd stage play put to film. It's not an adaptation so much as it is LITERALLY a stage play being filmed with expensive equipment. Surprisingly, for most of the film this works.

By the time the third act rolled around, I got a little tired of things since it requires paying complete attention to how the play is supposed to go (which you see in act 1), and by then I was so worn out by the *non-stop* jokes and silliness that I didn't really appreciate how fucked up the final act was. Not a fault of the film, really, but still something worth noting.

I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed this little flick, but your enjoyment of it may waver depending on how much you like seeing comedies on stage. Me, I could go either way, but this was extremely enjoyable. I'd relish a chance to see it on stage some day, but for now, I'll enjoy this pitch-perfect-to-a-fault adaptation.
July 9, 2011
I like this and I've seen the stage version. I'm not into physical comedy--which is most of what the middle part of the movie consists of. But it's a funny farce and I love the exaggerated insight into theatrical life that it provides.
½ June 16, 2011
I wasn't satisfied with the ending, however the journey to it was often hilarious, despite a few bumps of redundancy.
May 7, 2011
Muito engraçado, diversão do inicio ao fim.
March 21, 2011
A good film version of Michael Frayn's hilarious play. Consistantly funny from start to finish.
½ March 14, 2011
Rowdy and raucous "Play-Within-a-Play" (And based on a play, even!) of a hilariously-inept theater company's (Led by an insufferably-demanding and womanizing Michael Caine-) efforts at perfecting their second-rate production before its eventual debut on Broadway, with their backstage, antic-ridden interpersonal relationships almost completely derailing the whole shebang. A loving tribute to the madcap Screwball-Comedies and bedroom farces of yore, set at a breakneck- pace and with endless amounts of slaptick, pratfalls, mistaken identities, and exhausting, rapid-fire dialogue. The cast of mostly TV-comedy vets truly shines here, with John Ritter, Marilu Henner, and of course, Carol Burnett, the standouts. Christopher Reeve delivers an uncharacteristically-comical turn, easily keeping up with the rest of the humorous-hams, and the disarmingly-delightful-and-delectable Nicollette Sheridan also exhibits her rarely-seen comic-skills and almost runs away with the whole thing as the very-nearsighted (And therefore uber-clumsy-) play's ingenue, while spending a good portion of the proceedings decked out only in her underwear. The film exhibits some perfectly-timed comic brilliance, and truly drives home the old adage "Whatever Could Go Wrong, Will Go Wrong"! Well-directed by Peter Bogdanovich, who helmed the similarly zany "What's Up, Doc?" in the early 70's.
February 12, 2011
i love this script!! better to find the play in a thatre and watch that than watching this movie, but if you're at home and you want to have some real, genuine laugh, then put this classic on!
February 8, 2011
love this. So many classic lines i still utter from this film! What a great cast too.
January 24, 2011
One of the funniest scripts ever. I've taken the rating down one star because the play is superior -- let's face it, the play's about English people... not Americans playing English people.
½ January 20, 2011
Well performed, well staged, and at times hilarious, but ultimately too drawn out and overly long.
½ December 21, 2010
As a bit of a stage actor myself, I must say that this show perfectly portrays the madness of backstage, and the madness of on-stage screw-ups. I thought the film was brilliant this way, as a sort of collection of stories of stage-show madness, but since it had to be a cinematic piece, they had to tie in a sloppily put together ending that both I and the main character couldn't explain. Besides the ending though, this movie seemed extremely realistic with a hint of silliness, but that ending really ruined the movie for me.