Nola - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nola Reviews

February 2, 2015
If I didn't know any better, I'd say this was some kind of film that would have been shown on HBO in the 80's, except with a PG rating. It even has the look of a film whose original widescreen aspect ratio has been compressed into an Academy ratio.
½ February 25, 2013
Emmy Rossum is amazing and this movie is no exception. Good luck trying to watch it though, its never on Lifetime.
January 1, 2012
Horrible dialogue, horribly drawn caricatures, poor acting. Unfinishably bad, sedated TV movie at best.
½ October 20, 2011
This movie is half corny and half wonderful. I never would have given it a chance if it weren't for Rossum.
½ January 30, 2011
One full star for the awful goat singing done by Emmy Rossum, and another half off for a quick and haste beginning. As a singer the goating just really pissed me off along with operatic pronunciation and placements. Story is good acting is good plot is ok.
January 9, 2011
This was predictable and defnitely not among the best-produced movies I've ever seen, but I really enjoyed it anyway. The characters are quirky and likeable (especially Emmy Rossum's) and I was really absorbed in the movie, even though I knew exactly what was going to happen. This is an enjoyable little film.
½ October 1, 2010
O.M.G.
Aside from the unctuous maitre d' at the beginning & Mary McConnell (laughing all the way to the bank with her paltry paycheck, I'm sure, unless she did it free because she's friends with the 'filmmaker' *ugh*) this 'film' was lifted straight out of a bodice-ripper, up to & including the IMPOSSIBLE plot-line. Zero. Do NOT waste yer time on this, do NOT even think of 'flixin'.
March 25, 2010
I'll start by saying that I don't like romantic movies. With that said, Nola is a wonderful light hearted movie. After reading some of the other reviewers who seem to be looking for Shakespere quality, I have no doubt they give very few positive reviews. I feel this movie captures the true essence of a love story, not an autobiography. I like what Emma Rossum did with her character. The fact that she is not your typical Kansasite is inmaterial to the movie. Would the writer have been better off is she came from a more suburban area, probably, but either way leaves little difference in the way of the plot. Watchers of this movie will leave with a good feeling and a little choked up. Not all movies can be To Kill A Mockingbird, and Thank God for that. Sometimes a corny feel good movie is just the right ticket.
March 10, 2010
An over-the-top fairytale ending nearly ruined a pretty good story up until then. Nola (not the Big Easy), played by a sweet Emmy Rossum, is a talented young singer-songwriter who runs away from a bad situation at home and winds up in New York City hoping to find her father. The first hour, although filled with an incredible string of good luck for this kid, had this viewer hooked. The last half hour went from improbable to wildly cliched and entirely predictable. At times, there were opportunities to rein it back in and make it interesting, but the editor and the director conspired to go with the formula. The film opens almost in mid-scene and for a moment, this viewer thought the IW player had messed up. The opening only gave us a brief taste of what drove Nola to hit the road and a few more details were filled in later. Ms Rossum was a true bright spot in this rather sappy tale that could have used a bit more spice and a little less treacle.
½ March 10, 2010
So spectacularly awful, i was giggling uncontrollably throughout the second half. Even my yearning to wrap Emmy Rossum's legs around my head and wear her like a scarf couldn't save this product of a failed junior high creative writing class.
And SHAME ON YOU, President Roslin!!!
½ February 25, 2010
Stale with cheesy acting, and some poorly executed attempts to subtly light characters faces in dark places. Also, the story is a bit silly and obvious. The characters are unimpressive, but seem overly impressed with each other.
February 21, 2010
This movie could have been better. But it had a flimsy plot, mediocre writing, and the acting wasn't as good as it could have been. It moved too quickly, especially through the climax scenes, and the end. It seemed to just be trying to end as quickly as possible.
January 31, 2010
November 28, 2007
Awww, how touching. A White Trash American going to New York so they can be a White Trash New Yorker.
June 20, 2007
Not a wide release--I've only seen it on Lifetime, but it is a great movie with a great story. Nola (Emmy Rossum) comes to New York to look for her father and a better life. She gets that life but ends up entangled with the wrong man as her friends fight to save her. A must-see, especially since Rossum sings at the end. Bring Nola to DVD!
½ June 5, 2007
An inspiring film. Emmy Rossum is fantastic, as well as the supporting actors.
May 31, 2007
Probably the best movie on the planet...
½ January 18, 2007
This movie was shown on Lifetime and tell about a girl who finds her way through life and in search of her father. Goes to NYC and becomes a waitress and meets a guy. Main role is played by Emmy Rossum.
October 29, 2006
Amazing film! Great soundtrack and brill acting :D! Definitely recommend it!
September 24, 2006
I defintevely want to see this!