None But the Lonely Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

None But the Lonely Heart Reviews

June 5, 2016
A slow drippy movie. A complete waste of time
May 19, 2016
None but the Lonely Heart is an amazing film. It is about an itinerant who reluctantly returns home to help his sickly mother run her shop. Cary Grant and Ethel Barrymore give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Clifford Odets did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. None but the Lonely Heart is a must see.
½ April 19, 2016
Grant's "cockney" accent leaves much to be desired, but once you get past that, it is a charming little film.
½ December 30, 2014
Terrific. I just saw this for the first time on TCM right after watching Suspicion (which I had seen many times). It was fascinating seeing Carrie Grant play this sort of role. The movie has some clever humor but is overall somber. A good way to spend time while in bed with a cold.
July 23, 2014
It's one of the only films that you don't like Cary in - he's that good at being bad.
February 22, 2014
Like the main character, the movie strays around not knowing what to do. It goes from scene to scene and situation to situation with what seems to be little motivation. If it weren't for the naturalistic performance of Ethel Barrymore, this movie would be bad. She holds it together. Cary Grant is a good actor, and a great comedic actor. But his performances in dramas can at times feel contrived, as if he's trying too hard to be "dramatic". The screenplay is inconsistent, giving the best lines to Ethel's character. This movie would be completely forgettable, and quite bad, if it weren't for Ethel Barrymore. It is otherwise boring with no sense of direction or passion.
January 23, 2014
Cary Grant against type is a limit in terms of being believable. His own efforts deserve merits but the rest of the film leaves you a bit wanting.
July 28, 2013
You know me, tramp of the universe.

A son returns home to help his sickly mother tend her shop. They don't exactly have a loving and caring relationship and are constantly taking barbs at each other. As the mother gets sicker and money gets shorter, the two consider turning to crime to make ends meet. The mother tries to talk her son out of his bad ideas, but eventually time may cause for desperate acts...

"I wonder what the weatherman calls for tomorrow."
"Probably rain, followed by suicide in bed."

Clifford Odets, director of The Story on Page One, delivers None But the Lonely Heart in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and intricate. The characters are very well written and I loved the script. The acting is also first rate and the cast includes Cary Grant, Ethel Barrymore, Barry Fitzgerald, Jane Wyatt, and June Duprez.

"I'll sink you worse than any Titanic."

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) during a Cary Grant marathon. Grant is one of my all time favorite actors and I was excited to see this picture. I will say this isn't his best movie, as the plot may not be as compelling as some of his work, but his character is very dynamic and unpredictable. I strongly recommend seeing this gem.

"Life is a piece of meat when you know how."

Grade: B
June 24, 2013
I wish the version I saw was close captioned. Very difficult to understand the cockney accents.

Probably Grant's best performance. One of his two Oscar nominations. He brings to life a flawed character trying to deal with the consequences of his own shortcomings, in addition to the hardships around him. At his vaudevillian best. There's a very genuine quality about the relationships.
My first Ethel Barrymore film. A superb performance.

One gets the sense that the film isn't quite sure what it wants to be. It's somewhat schizophrenic. It carries a haunting nature about itself, & forebodes, to be sure. But whether it fully delivers on a dramatic level is slightly less certain.

It was made in the midst of the war, and like many war pictures, carried a solemnity about it. It did a good job of tying together the motif.
May 12, 2013
Despite its slow pace and rather dour indifferent look at Londons underclass circa 1938, Lonely Hearts is saved by Grants performance and screenwriters Odetes strong witted dialogue. Would be interested to see this remade, though the melodramatic screenplay probably would work better today as a stage play.
May 11, 2013
Good story of a struggling London town. Both Grant and his character are fantastic.
January 20, 2013
Cary Grant's pseudo-contribution to the war effort is mainly a dragging story of a loner returning back to his cockney roots. We see less of the persona that is associated with Grant and a bit more acting in a story where events lead to redemption for his character's ill ways.
January 15, 2013
grant's only oscar nom came from here where he plays against type.
August 21, 2012
A solid, engaging drama with amazing performances from the whole cast. I dare say one of Grant's greatest performances--Thought-provoking, Unpredictable Symbolic Drama!!
October 17, 2010
This could have been a great drama, but Grant doesn't give us a great performance, maybe he felt a little too comfortable back at home in England or something? I don't know, but this movie is lacking something, and I found it really boring.
½ August 18, 2010
TMC recently featured an "Ethel Barrymore" evening. Her film "None But The Lonely Heart" was the first movie shown that night. The film takes place in London, and also stars Cary Grant as Barrymore's drifter son. He returns home to discover that his mother is dying of cancer. He attempts to reform himself in helping his mom with her business and look after her. All goes wrong for Grant's character as he becomes involved in illegal activities. This was a good movie and I loved the chemistry between these two stars.
½ August 6, 2010
This is a decent drama starring Cary Grant. Grant plays a drifter that returns home to visit his mother. He is about to leave again when he learns she has cancer. He stays and helps her run her shop. But this drifter is in need of money and goes in with the wrong gang. Cary Grant is excellent as usual in his role. He was nominated for a Oscar in Best Actor in a Leading Role category for his role in this. Hard to believe this was his last nomination for a Oscar considering his great movies and performances after this film. The story is great and the acting great throught out this film. Top mention to Ethel Barrymore and June Duprez in their roles. They were excellent as well. This is not one of my favorite Cary Grant movies overall with the body of work he has done. But this is still worth a watch for Grant fans or those looking for a solid drama to watch.
February 25, 2010
Oscar win best supporting actress Ethel Barrymore
October 7, 2009
None But the Lonely Heart (1944) -- [6.0] -- Cary Grant plays a wandering Londoner who's reluctant to settle down. This changes when he discovers his mother, played by Ethel Barrymore, has terminal cancer. Poverty and loneliness drive Grant and Barrymore to desperate measures, and just when you think things can't get any gloomier, the film ends with foreshadowing of the second world war. "None But the Lonely Heart" is a dark film, but it has heart. Cary Grant drops his trademark wit and confidence for a much more vulnerable performance, one of the most dramatic of his career (up there with "Penny Serenade"). The best scenes are the early ones between Grant and Barrymore, where the estranged mother and son take cautious strides to reconnect with one another. Barrymore's performance earned her an Academy Award (for supporting actress) and Grant was nominated.
September 9, 2009
Cary Grant received his one and only Oscar nomination for this film (as hard as that is to believe). It's a very offbeat role for him and he is excellent. It's not one of his best films however, but it is still a fine drama. Ethel Barrymore is outstanding in the role of his dying mother.