Norma Rae - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Norma Rae Reviews

April 24, 2017
Martin Ritt's docu-drama touch had worked wonders for the spy genre with his impeccable (and nihilist) Carré adaptation. In Norma Rae, his camerawork and vision gains an inspiring dimension that allowed Sally Field to deliver one of the finest performances in the history of Hollywood.
½ February 16, 2017
Film ini mencoba menyadarkan kepada penonton, bahwa setiap orang tetap akan mampu untuk melakukan sebuah perubahan untuk orang banyak, selama Ia mau untuk berusaha keras akan hal tersebut. ... Walaupun dirinya sadar akan keterbatasan yang dimilikinya, sosok Rae memang tidak sempurna, tetapi Ia mencoba untuk menjadi terlihat lebih sempurna.
January 26, 2017
A working class social drama that plays as an compelling advocate for industrial unionisation and features a forceful Oscar-winning performance from Sally Field as the feisty placard-holding titular union organiser.
September 27, 2016
Norma Rae is a movie that does a lot to create moments and it certainly feels like it was built to earn the lead actress an Oscar nomination. I have some big problems with the structure of the film, though. Why set up the death of Norma's father and literally never reference it again? Why make the biggest confrontation between Norma and the factory about a notice on the bulletin board, but then never show how that impacts the union's efforts? It's these kind of missed opportunities that I think hurt the overall story and kept Norma Rae from being a good film. I did appreciate the way they handled her love life and kind of showed her past mistakes, and how she was making better decisions because of that. The camaraderie between Sally Field and Ron Leibman was great, and I'm glad it never devolved into a pointless affair that would have totally detracted from the story. Again, I think Norma Rae is loaded with moments that could be significant, but fails to cash in on those moments. I never became emotionally engaged, and this could have been a very heartfelt story. I certainly didn't hate the movie, and would watch it again if someone asked, but I guarantee I won't be seeking it out.
June 27, 2016
Another one of those films I don't have a real opinion about. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it.
½ April 26, 2016
Oh yes, the seventies, when feminism was a popular subject. Field gives a stellar performance as a worker who teams up with the union. The overall story is a bit slow but the cast shines even when the direction is lacking.
½ February 9, 2016
Norma Rae is too predictable and safe to be ambitious, but Sally Field´s phenomenal performance more than compensates for its flaws.
November 11, 2015
Awesome film that covers racism for some reason, which I felt was unnecessary given the time period. But the main point was about a company who was treating employees unfairly and a union rep comes into town and refuses to leave until the union is either established or never comes into fruition. Very well done, very interesting. Definitely, an amazing film that needs to be seen by everyone.
½ November 7, 2015
gr8 yet another lost review
½ August 4, 2015
Sally Field is absolutely sensational in the title role, combining Southern determination with naivete and panache in a brilliant combination. The film moves slowly but uses tension and pace well to get to the film's climax.
½ May 30, 2015
Good performance from Sally Field. Reminiscent of Silkwood, but Norma Rae is easily the better movie for me. The characters feel real, and I'm glad at the way they handled Norma Rae and Reuben's relationship (keeping it barely platonic) and also Norma Rae and her husbands relationship, and while not making Beau Bridges' character a saint, doesn't make him a villain, either.
May 22, 2015
A good film featuring a great turn by Sally Field. However, it does not live up to the praise that it has been given.
½ November 14, 2014
August 11, 2014
Sally Field greatest movie!
July 31, 2014
Such an inspiringly written screenplay and performance by the ring leading lady Sally Field.

I love Sally Field in this, I need to see more of her films. The next one will be Places in the Heart.

She is so pretty and she knows how to use her talent of acting well.

This is such a great film.
June 6, 2014
Great ensemble work especially from Sally Field in one of her best performances.
½ April 20, 2014
This movie shows people that if you work hard you should be fairly rewarded for it.
January 23, 2014
Kind of a relic from a bygone era, Norma Rae is a female unionist who goes through much of the trials and tribulations that one goes through in organizing a union in a hostile environment. Sally Field was nonetheless aptly rewarded for giving it her all.