Norma Rae - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Norma Rae Reviews

½ April 30, 2012
Title character Norma Rae (Sally Field) works a sewing mill and has changed positions from seamstress to monitor of duties performed by her colleagues. She soon becomes frustrated with the working conditions of the facilities for which she is part of and becomes intrigued by a union member from the east for wants to help her protest the major issue. Now Norma is at the height of controversy in her small town. The actress, Field, also succeeds at being the height of annoyance perhaps within this film. This is what the Academy deems as Oscar worthy acting? Ugh! The film takes too long to get to get going and when it does, the viewer, me, does not want to watch it. Pretty pretentious, irritating, and forgettable.
½ January 26, 2012
Sally Field is always excellent in portraying women of substance. Her performance is mesmerizing! The scene she holds the cardboard is already well-deserved for the Oscar.
½ September 27, 2011
A union story with Sally Field doing a good job as the lead who has to carry much of the film herself.
September 23, 2011
Fantastic drama that explains the importance of unions. Sally Field is terrific.
½ September 5, 2011
Inspiring. One ordinary woman standing up to fix a broken system to help others - despite no gain for herself.
½ August 26, 2011
Sally Field es cute y da una buena actuación, pero nada sensacional, me costaría pensar que esa actuación hoy en día ganará el Oscar, la pelicula es muy de esa epoca, pero creo que no ha envejecido bien, al momento de compararla con otras historias de mayor impacto de ese tipo que han sido llevadas a la gran pantalla, palidece.
August 11, 2011
Looks very touching, yet smart, like it knows how to entertain an audience.
½ June 9, 2011
Just like in the Movie, I'm holding up a Sign!!! Okay, who didn't love this Movie & Sally Field in it? Not to mention her Notorious Oscar Acceptance Speach~ "You Liked Me, You Really Liked Me" ~~~ I Liked It, I Really Liked it
½ May 23, 2011
It's all about Sally..
½ January 23, 2011
sally field really deserved her oscar. the original erin brockovich.
January 7, 2011
A fantastic social drama, and still relevant today too! Field is perfect, and she even won an award for this performance, so if you're a fan don't miss this one. It's a really good movie.
December 26, 2010
Sally Field was amazing. Also amazing how much Americans' perceptions of unions have changed over the last 30 years. Good historical piece too.
December 14, 2010
that is a classic as it's one in a thousend.sally field's great concerto!no review needed,just see it!
½ October 11, 2010
Had to watch this for a class on civic communication. I really did not enjoy this movie. Sally Field was not bad in it, but I found it hard to identity with her character at all. Yes, Norma Rae Webster in the film fought for unions and rights, but at the same time she was obsessive, slept around, neglected her kids, and whined about every little thing. Though I agree with the films message, overall, this did little to nothing for me.
½ September 17, 2010
On peut s'étonner de l'époque où se situe ce film (1978) par rapport à l'histoire du syndicalisme au XXème siècle. Il est pourtant basé sur des faits réels datant de 1974 en Caroline du Sud. "Norma Rae" est donc un film militant à la gloire des syndicats sur les conditions de travail dans les usines textiles américaines. Celui-ci sonne le crépuscule du syndicalisme, qui s'apprête à subir les assauts de la mondialisation à partir des années 80. 30 ans après ce film, la filière du textile américain tout comme en Europe n'existe plus face au marché asiatique.
Toujours est-il que le film est fort et donne à Sally Field son plus grand rôle, récompensé par des prix d'interprétations à Cannes, aux Oscars et aux Golden Golbes. Sa performance magistrale dans ce film, montre que l'actrice a été trop souvent sous exploitée dans sa carrière.
July 23, 2010
the 1st 15 mins were too boring to continue watching the rest of the movie
July 2, 2010
An impassioned New York union man comes to a small southern baptist town entirely dependent on the local textile mill for economic support, and convinces working girl Norma Rae to take up the fight for organized labour, much to the chagrin of the belligerent management. Sally Field is excellent as Norma Rae, finding just the right note of cultural authenticity without being exploitive or traipsing into melodrama. One could fault the screenplay for its one-sided depiction of complicated labour politics, presenting the workers as stalwart victims and the bosses as inhuman demons, when, in fact, there are complexities in the issues that go unexplored. But to have been so objective would have diminished the dramatic pull of the picture, turning it into a head-scratching mess. As it is, the film works quite well. Director Martin Ritt does a good job at evoking the noisy, sweaty, hostile environment of the factory floor with smart photography and sound design.
May 6, 2010
not a bad film, the story was a bit boring though and the ending could have been better. I watched it because Sally Field won an Oscar for this. I'd say she deserved it.
½ April 23, 2010
Sally Field was so good in this, and I can relate to that kind of work environment.
April 15, 2010