North by Northwest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

North by Northwest Reviews

November 16, 2017
North by Northwest hits a few bumps with pacing but the story is always intriguing and Cary Grant's character is forever interesting to watch. The result in the end is an extremely fun, funny and suspenseful mystery/thriller that constantly keeps the hero on edge and laid the groundwork for James Bond type films that we've all come to love.
October 22, 2017
North By Northwest:Daring, Thrilling, Suspenseful, fast paced, and fully entertaining. Alfred Hitchcock's iconic masterpiece that triumphs most action thrillers to this day. That boasts a long but thrilling story and builds suspense masterfully.
October 11, 2017
North by Northwest is an amazing film directed by the master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock! This is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies and it gives great performances by Cary Grant and the rest of the cast. The famous plane scene is one of the most famous scenes in cinema and is great to see. This Hitchcock classic is very gripping and suspenseful and is a must see!
October 7, 2017
A classic. I imagine if Hitchcock did a Bond film it would have looked something like this.
September 29, 2017
Daring, Thrilling, Suspenseful, fast paced, and fully entertaining. Alfred Hitchcock's iconic masterpiece that dare triumphs over many action thrillers to this day. That boasts a long but thrilling story and builds suspense masterfully. Making it one of the best films of all time.
September 25, 2017
A fun filled joy ride of intenseness and mayhem, this is my most favorite Hitchcock film. It's one of the greatest films. Of all time.
August 21, 2017
Nothing is flawless. But if a fistful of films were to be, 'North by Northwest' would stand among them. It is an action-packed film, stunningly thrilling, a smart mainstream entertainment whose iconic plane scene and imperial ending at Mt Rushmore are superb. No sequence or scene is superfluous, misplaced or just unnecessary, no actor doesn't match greatly with its role, no shot isn't beautiful - everything is admirably masterful, and the result is a sheer excitement, gripping in the style of its director, and visually splendid.
August 13, 2017
This film shows its age; the characters are predictably 1 dimensional and some moments feel unrealistic; like escaping the UN after murdering someone: HOW!?

However I still call this film a classic. The camera placement is well directed. The tension is executed well. But what I really like is that the drama and comedy balance each other out; making the film neither too gloomy nor too goofy.
August 13, 2017
It isn't Hitchcock's best, but it might be his most purely entertaining. A mystery / adventure / comedy romp, it's just like Hermann's score for it: gigantic, tasteful, heart-pounding, and sexy. Grant proves once again that simply no one has ever been better at the hilarious balance of oafishness and grace. Standout scene: the auction; the way it slowly reveals Grant's plan for being arrested is side-splittingly wonderful.
August 12, 2017
They say this was the first 'James Bond film' I can see influenced all Bond Films. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint are all class. Sound score is superb as well.
August 12, 2017
Hitchcock at the top of his game.
August 6, 2017
This thriller is one of my favourite Alfred Hitchcock films. It contains an intriguing and topsy-turvey plot with many twists and turns. Featuring solid acting and some very memorable scenes, this is pure intrigue and entertainment from start till finish. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time, and one of the top ten mystery films. My equal favourite film of 1959. 1001
July 25, 2017
The best movie of Alfred Hitchcock i have ever seen
July 20, 2017
A great movie. Fun, quirky, suspenseful and ultimately quite funny. This is a comedy adventure set in Cold War America. The screenplay gets a lot of mileage out teasing Cary Grant for being so good-looking, and I thought that was clever. Lots of great film work here and memorable shots and scenes. I've seen it twice and would be happy to watch it again.
½ July 17, 2017
North by Northwest isn't as impactful as many of Hitchcock's other films. Nor has it aged as well. But it's delightfully sarcastic hijinks are piloted masterfully by the master of suspense.
July 13, 2017
One of Hitchcock's more fun films. It features exiting action, good suspense, and good cinematography to create another classic film from one of the greatest directors of all time.
July 11, 2017
Its always been hard for me to pick my favorite Hitchcock film. I run between this high octane thriller that many people consider to be the first real James Bond film, two years before anyone had heard of Sean Connery. My other faves are Notorious, The Birds, and Rear Window. But this is really the grandaddy of all action/adventure films, the great grandson of another Hitchcock film that really started it all called "The 39 Steps" . That film had many charms and set many stages, but "North by Northwest" took everything to a whole new level. Cary Grant at his best. Stunning action set pieces that still look better today than most CGI junk fests. This a master filmmaker at his peak.
July 7, 2017
So many scenes have been copied from this movie into every Bond and Bourne movie. The twists and spycraft were so fun. The escapes in crowded areas and running from planes and bantering with the ladies was classic movies stuff. The everyman Cary Grant plays is far more relatable than all those experts with very special sets of skills. However, sometimes he makes some unbelievably stupid choices that took me out of the magic.
½ July 7, 2017
A case of mistaken identity leads an ordinary businessman into a game of cat and mouse with some deadly international spy types. Simply a enjoyable ride from start to finish, with many factors weighing in as to the reasons why, the top being the cast, the director and that music guy too, whatever his name is. One of my fav Hitchcock films.
½ June 14, 2017
This is a fantastic spy thriller, and the action scenes are extremely well done. It's an ambitious film that was very successfully executed. However, it felt a little long to me, but I think that's my personal preference towards most action movies.