North by Northwest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

North by Northwest Reviews

August 13, 2017
This film shows its age; the characters are predictably 1 dimensional and some moments feel unrealistic; like escaping the UN after murdering someone: HOW!?

However I still call this film a classic. The camera placement is well directed. The tension is executed well. But what I really like is that the drama and comedy balance each other out; making the film neither too gloomy nor too goofy.
August 13, 2017
It isn't Hitchcock's best, but it might be his most purely entertaining. A mystery / adventure / comedy romp, it's just like Hermann's score for it: gigantic, tasteful, heart-pounding, and sexy. Grant proves once again that simply no one has ever been better at the hilarious balance of oafishness and grace. Standout scene: the auction; the way it slowly reveals Grant's plan for being arrested is side-splittingly wonderful.
August 12, 2017
They say this was the first 'James Bond film' I can see influenced all Bond Films. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint are all class. Sound score is superb as well.
August 12, 2017
Hitchcock at the top of his game.
August 6, 2017
This thriller is one of my favourite Alfred Hitchcock films. It contains an intriguing and topsy-turvey plot with many twists and turns. Featuring solid acting and some very memorable scenes, this is pure intrigue and entertainment from start till finish. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time, and one of the top ten mystery films. My equal favourite film of 1959. 1001
July 31, 2017
Daring, Thrilling, Suspenseful, fast paced, and fully entertaining. Alfred Hitchcock's iconic masterpiece that dare triumphs over many action thrillers to this day. That boasts a long but thrilling story and builds suspense masterfully. Making it one of the best films of all time.
July 25, 2017
The best movie of Alfred Hitchcock i have ever seen
July 20, 2017
A great movie. Fun, quirky, suspenseful and ultimately quite funny. This is a comedy adventure set in Cold War America. The screenplay gets a lot of mileage out teasing Cary Grant for being so good-looking, and I thought that was clever. Lots of great film work here and memorable shots and scenes. I've seen it twice and would be happy to watch it again.
½ July 17, 2017
North by Northwest isn't as impactful as many of Hitchcock's other films. Nor has it aged as well. But it's delightfully sarcastic hijinks are piloted masterfully by the master of suspense.
July 13, 2017
One of Hitchcock's more fun films. It features exiting action, good suspense, and good cinematography to create another classic film from one of the greatest directors of all time.
July 11, 2017
Its always been hard for me to pick my favorite Hitchcock film. I run between this high octane thriller that many people consider to be the first real James Bond film, two years before anyone had heard of Sean Connery. My other faves are Notorious, The Birds, and Rear Window. But this is really the grandaddy of all action/adventure films, the great grandson of another Hitchcock film that really started it all called "The 39 Steps" . That film had many charms and set many stages, but "North by Northwest" took everything to a whole new level. Cary Grant at his best. Stunning action set pieces that still look better today than most CGI junk fests. This a master filmmaker at his peak.
July 7, 2017
So many scenes have been copied from this movie into every Bond and Bourne movie. The twists and spycraft were so fun. The escapes in crowded areas and running from planes and bantering with the ladies was classic movies stuff. The everyman Cary Grant plays is far more relatable than all those experts with very special sets of skills. However, sometimes he makes some unbelievably stupid choices that took me out of the magic.
½ July 7, 2017
A case of mistaken identity leads an ordinary businessman into a game of cat and mouse with some deadly international spy types. Simply a enjoyable ride from start to finish, with many factors weighing in as to the reasons why, the top being the cast, the director and that music guy too, whatever his name is. One of my fav Hitchcock films.
½ June 14, 2017
This is a fantastic spy thriller, and the action scenes are extremely well done. It's an ambitious film that was very successfully executed. However, it felt a little long to me, but I think that's my personal preference towards most action movies.
½ June 4, 2017
Il film che apparentemente presenta la minore dose di stile del famoso regista britannico. Hitchcock dirige il film in modo molto semplice e lineare per raccontare una storia dalla sceneggiatura molto intelligente e sorprendentemente complicata. Il punto di forza del film sono appunto i personaggi e il modo in cui vengono fatti interagire tra di loro e l'ambiente che li circonda, con enormi equivoci che ci portano anche nella sfera comica. Il film solleva un numero elevato di temi importanti su cui riflettere, che però non riescono ad emergere con una singola visione. Si tratta di un grande film, che pone le basi per i più moderni spy movie, ma secondo me è lontano dall'essere il migliore del famoso regista.
½ June 1, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: It's very easy when reviewing a classic such as this to simply gush about its contribution to cinema, but even when you view 'North by Northwest' as a film in its own right, it's still one of the greatest around. Why? Well it does something rather rare in balancing genuine tension and excitement, with real charm and whit to make for a far more rounded experience than many subsequent films have managed to bring. Yes for one the story facilitates this brilliantly, but there's no doubt that Hitchcock provides plenty of genius suspense with his innovative scenes and techniques, whilst he also brings buckets of humour and enjoyment thanks to a well-directed portrayal? from Cary Grant and another brilliant script from Ernest Lehman. As a result it genuinely captures both sides of that coin simultaneously, and thankfully creates a thing of incredible life and engaging excitement.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The plot does get a little caught up with itself at times
VERDICT: A classic for all the right reasons; 'North by Northwest' is a piece of cinematic gold that stands on its own just as confidently as it does in its place in cinema history.
May 9, 2017
The great milestone in the thriller\spy genre, beautifully shot and realized picture from the maestro himself. Cary Grant is a solid and appropriate choice for the role of a man with mistaken identity. Direction is flawless, cinematography is beyond limits, it's a colorful noir all right. Eva Marie Saint is a candy of this movie in the role of a cool and sexy femme fatale.
April 13, 2017
There's a reason why it's a classic.
April 9, 2017
One of the top 5 Hitch movies. Grant is never better than this one. The cast is perfect and the entire story is pure fun. Works for nearly all audiences. Being back at Rushmore reminds me of this great film. Or at a crossroads near a cornfield...
April 9, 2017
Where can I begin? I can't say enough about how in awe I was of this masterpiece. Despite 50 years that having passed, Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece is just as thrilling and visually stunning as it was when first released. Featuring stellar performances all round and especially from Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint, North By Northwest holds all the elements of a great movie. It's timeless, savvy and thoroughly entertains.