North - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

North Reviews

October 26, 2016
Offensive, unfunny, and has the lowest ending possible for a movie to have
October 24, 2016
Disgusting. Just plain disgusting. It's not one of the worst movies Roger Ebert ever saw without a reason! 0/5
September 11, 2016
This is how Roger Ebert reviewed the movie 'North':
"I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it.
I hold it as an item of faith that Rob Reiner is a gifted filmmaker; among
his credits are "This Is Spinal Tap," "The Sure Thing," "The Princess Bride," "Stand By Me," "When Harry Met Sally...," and "Misery." I list those titles as an incantation against this one.
"North" is a bad film - one of the worst movies ever made. But it is not by a bad filmmaker, and must represent some sort of lapse from which Reiner will recover - possibly sooner than I will."
I might remind you that this is from the writer of 'Beyond the Valley of
the Dolls', one of the worst movies of all time.
Many people disliked the movie, it's true, but I insist they simply
misunderstood it. The key to understanding it is hinted at in the opening
credits when we have a tour of the toys in North's room. All of the toys are
silly references to the places and people North will visit during his
adventure. It's only at the end that it is revealed that it was all a dream.
This is crucial information. It tells us that all the outrageous caricatures in
the movie were the product of the imagination of a naive kid. The film isn't
guilty of stereotyping- North is. All kids have a simplistic grasp of the world
and how it really works.
But the best part of the film is the skillful craftsmanship and first rate
production values. It looks great and all of the acting is outstanding. It
should also be seen for what it is, a children's movie.
Also of note: it's the movie debut of Scarlett Johansson at age nine; and
Bruce Willis and Elijah Wood later appeared together in 'Sin City'.
August 3, 2016
It is very rare that a film comes along that has one of the best casts ever assembled, and yet is so damned terrible. Rob Reiner's 'North' is the kind of film that just makes you shake your head and wonder where it all went wrong. Truly baffling.
½ July 20, 2016
Not the worst but by no means the best
June 15, 2016
Boy divorces parents and sets off on a journey to find suitable ones. Don't waste your time on this kiddie road pic stuffed with unnecessary cameos.
June 13, 2016
A disappointing, humiliating and baffling misstep by Rob Reiner. Just when and where did the whole movie go wrong? The concept was unique for a children's film like this for its time, and some noted star power like the then-upcoming Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings trilogy), Bruce Willis (Die Hard series), Dan Aykroyd (The Blues Brothers) and even the Seinfeld duo of Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus certainly did seem like it could help make this movie work, and yet - with every chance that this movie had been given - it was executed in the worst way possible.
½ February 5, 2016
What a piece of trash.

Zero Stars
February 2, 2016
A fun movie. This all star cast had done an outstanding job.

I think what drew me to watching this movie was seeing Elijah Wood (North) act as Tevye.

There is some witty humour in this movie, coupled with the cast should make this movie a classic.

From a philosophical point of view I think this movie speaks to all of us and the freedom we all obtain when we learn to appreciate our parents and realize that there is more to them then meets the eye...
½ November 17, 2015
One of the most distasteful movies anyone will witness! Imagine at a comedy club where a comedian tells the least funny and most offensive jokes imaginable on purpose for 90 minutes. That's this film in a nutshell!
November 17, 2015
A fair kids adventure, but the film is completely spoiled by the worst type of cinema cliche possible.
½ November 13, 2015
North is one of the most sinfully abysmal films i have ever been given the chore to sit through. The humor was non existent, the cultural stereotypes were extraordinarily derogatory, vile and tasteless, and is just overall a very ugly film. i give this filth 0/5 stars.
October 16, 2015
I watched the Siskel and Ebert reviews, saying that this is one of the worst movies they ever had to review. That's saying alot considering they reviewed Batman and Robin, Godzilla not to mention the Tom and Jerry movie. While I don't think it's really that bad, I'm not saying this is that good of a movie either. It's got a creative story that I think could have potential, but it just didn't work out that well as a whole. The ending really pissed me off though. Wait....Rob Reiner directed this? I guess this might be where his list of weaker films started.
September 15, 2015
I guess I'm in the minority with this one. I loved this as a kid and watched it again recently and it's still enjoyable. Maybe nostalgia?
½ September 13, 2015
Unfunny, boring, and blatantly racist to a point that even anti-PC people would get offended, North is a film that is well deserving of Roger Ebert's famous quote: "I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it."
August 15, 2015
Rob Reiner directs another good family drama
May 13, 2015
I think I threw up after watching this
April 21, 2015
Needs less ethnic stereotypes and more Bruce Willis in a pink bunny suit. I give it one star because it's fun to hear critics get mad at it.
March 25, 2015
No stars. Roger Ebert was right in "hating hating hating hating" this movie. It's as moronic and devoid of wit as any family movie can get. And it's a star-studded affair too! Everybody shows up to embarrass themselves and/or a specific ethnic group. Sounds like quite a party. However, this is one party you, the viewer, will be glad you weren't invited.