The North Avenue Irregulars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The North Avenue Irregulars Reviews

August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - Fall 2009)
April 20, 2014
The North Avenue Irregulars is proof that you don't need sex and four-letter words to make a funny movie. These church ladies are all we have to work with, but oh do they pull it off, and then some.
February 15, 2013
Very fun family movie. Seen it several times in the theater in 1979 and now have it on dvd.
June 9, 2012
TImeless classic. Amen.
May 14, 2012
LOL, LOL, LOL !!
February 21, 2011
This movie is a complete hoot! Its slapstick, wisecracking style is totally 70s Disney...but, this movie is a little more geared to adults vs. the other fare from the early/mid decade. Its harmless, easy, time-killing fun! Cloris Leachman and Barbara Harris and Karen Valentine are particularly funny. Enjoy!
February 20, 2011
My favorite live action Disney movie!
½ February 20, 2011
Funny, funny, funny.
December 13, 2010
Charming family fare from Disney featuring a plucky group of middle-class house-fraus & church-ladies facing off against the Mob when it tries to take over their fair city. A wonderful cast of comic actresses brings this to life, along with solid support by lots of recognizable character players (Michael Constantine, Steve Franken, Douglas V. Fowley, Alan Hale, Jr., Carl Ballantine, Ivor Francis, & Frank Campanella-). The climactic car chases & truck pile-ups are high-points, and the-always loony Cloris Leachman, perennial nut-nick Ruth Buzzi, large & lovely Virginia Capers, & crusty old Patsy Kelly run away with the film. Lots of fun!
November 4, 2010
** (out of four)

Way too Zany. Way too Wacky. And Way too Corny for its own good. "The North Avenue Irregulars" is pretty typical Disney fare of the late 1970's, excpet with the volume turned up...way up.

A group of church ladies on North Avenue take on a group of illegal gamblers in an attempt to rid their neighborhood of the evil influence.
September 11, 2010
A great classic Disney comedy that still holds up today.
DrLappos
½ August 27, 2010
Let me just start out by saying that I watched this film willingly.....there was a lot of alcohol involved....it was sandwiched in between a session watching the original Evil Dead and Hellraiser, a little arm twisting and some rib nudging but I have to say this was a giggle. Typical late 70's Disney and I did laugh if only at the pants surveillance attempts.
December 28, 2009
I don't know why I enjoyed this film, it's typical Disney from the 1970's, but it did make me laugh. One huge plus is a terrific assortment of actors, as well as a very fast pace. Very entertaining.
September 28, 2009
Better even than I thought it would be!
July 25, 2009
I went to see it when I was a kid in the theatre & it was Hillarious! Go rent or even Buy It! It's well worth it, it'll have ya in stiches...;-)
½ May 12, 2009
This movie brings back such great memories--I loved all the wacky slapstick goings-on, especially when the Scottish carpenter dresses up as a lady to help out. That was hilarious.
March 28, 2009
the funniest movie ever made
January 16, 2009
Still love this movie. Everyone in my family compared Barbara Harris ' character to me --I had the station wagon, the kids, the animals, the clothes, even the hair do (or don't). Cloris Leachman is great in this. I just watched a couple of clips and still find it funny after all these years.
½ January 10, 2009
This DVD was on my Amazon list and I got it for Christmas. My wife and I just watched it. She had never seen it and I wanted to share with her a silly piece of my past since I remember going to a drive-in movie to see this movie.

Ironically, this Disney film starts out with a few poignant comments about church and community involvement. Those comments were telling back in 1979 and they continue to be so in 2009. But, aside from holding a mirror up for contemporary Christians now, this is a great family-friendly and fun movie. It's silly and campy. The cast all contribute equally well in their roles while not being too stereotypical.

I highly recommend it. Obviously, some feminist-minded folk may object to the infrequent mentions of "dames" and other non-politically correct gender language, but, that aside, I believe this to be a solid Disney contribution. It brought back a lot of memories for me.
October 8, 2008
I love this movie, I watched it as a little boy, and I still watch it tody