North Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

North Country Reviews

½ January 3, 2014
Apesar de ser muito parado, "North Country", é um filme obrigatório para todas as feministas e para todos aqueles que defendem uma maior emancipação da mulher! 70% :D 02/01/2014
½ December 31, 2013
This is a grim movie about a bunch of ladies trying to get equal rights with their male co-worker in the local mine where they all have to work to survive in a place where having a job is luxury. The cast is fantastic, the film is solid as a rock on every technical level & Charlyse Theron proves once again how talented she is.
November 3, 2013
The fact that this was based on true events makes it even more powerful and essentially further compliments Theron's flawless performance.
½ October 20, 2013
June 15th 2009
October 11th 2013...
½ September 30, 2013
Very good movie, really enjoyed it!
½ September 2, 2013
Great fictionalised account of the case on which current sexual harassment law and regulations are founded. You can't help but feel enraged at the way the women are treated. Ending feels a bit rushed, contrived and trite, but that would be the only negative.

Excellent performance by Charlize Theron in the lead role. Good support from Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sean Bean, Richard Jenkins and Sissy Spacek. Theron and McDormand got Oscar nominations for their performances. Cast also includes Jeremy Renner and Michelle Monaghan in roles which were among their earliest cinema movie roles.
½ August 30, 2013
A powerful tale of women's oppression with brilliant performances, the socio-political critique of North Country is occasionally lost amongst crowded sub-plots, mismanaged narrative structure and a cliche ridden final act.
July 14, 2013
Every woman knows that guys are dogs, but this movie graphically shows how barbaric some of our worst specimens can actually be. Although there's nothing too original to see here, "North Country" is disturbing enough to make you remember this story. A well-paced legal drama.
½ July 13, 2013
North Country benefits from its talented cast and gets its message across in a straightforward way.
½ July 12, 2013
I had no idea this had even happened.
July 7, 2013
Inspired by the story of the first case for sexual harassment in the workplace in America, the film traces the uneasy life of a single mother who earns a well paid job in the mines but must confront herself with unfair treatment, bullying and harassment from male workers everyday. Despite the great performances by the cast, North Country is all too comfortable in being a simply structured film where the tesion is only occasionally heightened to its full effect.
½ July 1, 2013
After "Monster", Charlize Theron gives another performance with flesh in this fine movie accusing injustice. We all share his pain throughout with other characters. The exhilarating ending reminds me of "Dead Poets Society", though there is no less grievance.
June 25, 2013
It's not a bad film and it features some great performances (especially from Charlize Theron), but I still can't help but feel like it's a little bit lacking, especially considering the subject matter.
June 16, 2013
Absolutely amazing movie! Charlize Theron's acting is phenomenal. A must-see!
½ May 22, 2013
"Charlize Theron is one of my favorite actors working today, she's not just beautiful but always 100% gives it her all & commits really hard to these types of roles (actually any role) and just nail them with ease. Here, she gives one of her very best performances of her career as Josey Aimes who takes a job at a local mine and witnesses harassment by male workers. Then, goes on to sue the Company and makes history by being the first on filling sexual harassment lawsuit (very first). Frances McDormand is just terrific (as is always the case with her) here as Josey's friend Glory who also works with her in the local mine. Everybody from the supporting standpoint are all great from Richard Jenkins to Woody Harrelson to Sissy Spacek to Jeremy Renner, just terrific."

"North Country is a slow-paced but compelling drama with terrific performances and a powerful story. It could be melodramatic to some but I highly recommend this surprisingly overlooked movie though Theron & McDormand did get recognition from the Oscars & other accolades, this is still a pretty under-the-rader movie nowadays."
May 20, 2013
Better than it looks
½ May 11, 2013
An important film about an important cause. It does feel a bit like it's trying to be important at times, which is a slight weakness in the writing I think, but the positives outweigh the negatives. Great performances from Charlize Theron, Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, and Richard Jenkins. Some beautiful cinematography amongst so much ugliness in the miner characters. North Country is a strong reminder of how far we've come in civil rights these past 50 years. And that we still have a ways to go. But we're moving forward and I'm glad films like this document and contribute to the cause.
½ April 15, 2013
Terrific performances by the star-studded cast. Interesting story, dragged at times but the courtroom scenes are excellent
½ April 4, 2013
Good movie but it's difficult to watch at times.